News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

how do i convert shn files to mp3s?

Started by phishfan, September 29, 2006, 03:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishfan

hey thanks guys for the info... but why do i keep getting negative karma?

bacchist

Rebuilding...

whyweigh5.0

i think the rio karma (i think thats it) supports flac
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

whyweigh5.0

and i have no problem with people using mp3 for their portable music players... i do it.  its not like you are listening to it on some high end sound system... just headphones
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

bacchist

i have no problem with people using mp3 for any reason... the only thing i'm against is flacs/shns with mp3 in the lineage...
Rebuilding...

whyweigh5.0

yes, that is a problem.  you can convert to mp3 all you want, convert your heart out...  just dont share it

phishfan

im not sharing it im just converting them so that i can make a cd of it then i delete the files from my computer

nab

I don't know which burning program you are using, (I use Nero) but, if you hunt for the right plugins, you should be able to burn directly from the shn files.  Your ears will thank you for it.  I've been down this road before.  Once you appreciate the value of lossless, you won't go back.  Now I have a whole folder of Phish on recordable cds in mp3 format, which, regrettably, I found out I can't share.  Now I have just started to archive all my music in lossless format.  It is true that this is easier to do when your computer has a DVD burner.
Back to what I was saying about burning straight from lossless.  The point is that if you burn from lossless now, in the future if you decide to rip your cds back on to your computer, they will still be lossless.  If you do the same thing with a cd you compiled from an mp3 source, even if you rip them back into a lossless format, they will , alas, only be perfect copies of mp3s.

sls.stormyrider

agreed. if you can't find the plug ins (they work, i just can't remember where I got them) convert to wav and burn cds from that
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jephrey

QuoteBack to what I was saying about burning straight from lossless.  The point is that if you burn from lossless now, in the future if you decide to rip your cds back on to your computer, they will still be lossless.  If you do the same thing with a cd you compiled from an mp3 source, even if you rip them back into a lossless format, they will , alas, only be perfect copies of mp3s.

Even as lossless, even using EAC, the files coming back onto the computer will most likely not be EXACTLY the same.  There are minor, very minor "errors" that occur while ripping a disc.  Obviously, if you can get the files to pass the md5 checksum, you're set.  The real way to do it is to store a data disc and then your play disc or mp3.  The most important though, is the data disc because that is the easiest, truest copy you'll have.  Do what you will with your listening stuff, but keep that original data.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sophist

when converting to mp3 be sure to deep throat that shotgun you own.

thanks,

the management
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

nab

Quote from: jephrey on October 02, 2006, 10:50:55 PM

Even as lossless, even using EAC, the files coming back onto the computer will most likely not be EXACTLY the same.  There are minor, very minor "errors" that occur while ripping a disc.  Obviously, if you can get the files to pass the md5 checksum, you're set.  The real way to do it is to store a data disc and then your play disc or mp3.  The most important though, is the data disc because that is the easiest, truest copy you'll have.  Do what you will with your listening stuff, but keep that original data.

J

Absolutely.  mp3->cd->lossless= bad, lossless->cd->eac->wav=OK, lossless->data->trade/cd= :phish:

jephrey

Quotelossless->cd->eac->wav=OK

I'd say OK only if it's the only source available.  Many people won't even want an EAC fileset if a non-EAC exists.  Of course a stellar quality EAC can beat a mediocre original, but typically, somewhere down the line, the original that the EAC was taken from will show up.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Marmar

I peronally hunt down people who piss in the pool and p00p on them.....

So unless you want my p00p on yer computer, don't pee in the pool.

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

August

i find their girlfriend and bring them to the prom.
a