News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things COMIC BOOKS

Started by mistercharlie, February 03, 2011, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Multibeast12

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 09, 2011, 03:37:07 PM

X-Men: First Class hits theaters on June 3rd.
I hope this doesn't suck like the wolverine one, and the third one.

rowjimmy

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: Multibeast12 on March 09, 2011, 04:56:58 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 09, 2011, 03:37:07 PM

X-Men: First Class hits theaters on June 3rd.
I hope this doesn't suck like the wolverine one, and the third one.

it won't. it will suck much more.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

def check this out if ur a true marvel fan:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/711629/marvel-television-announces-adrian-pasdar-and-milo-ventimiglia-for-iron-man-and-wolverine-anime-series-to-air-on-g4-july-2011/

wolverine and iron man anime series to air exclusively on G4 this summer. i saw the previews---bangin!! 
dudes from heroes doing voice overs

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

barnesy305

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on April 14, 2011, 02:29:24 PM
Taxonomic tree charts which superheroes have which super powers
They missed that Wolverine's true ability is his healing factor but I guess the claws are pretty damn cool.

VA $l!m

one of my character 'looks' from DCUO.

-note the yellow diamond encrusted Slick Rick Nick Fury eyepatch!  :mrgreen:

mistercharlie

Looks pretty bad-ass, although I expect him to shout 'Get Over Here!' and then hurl a roped spear at someone. (I'm saying he reminds me of Scorpion from MK)
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 14, 2011, 07:28:06 PM
Looks pretty bad-ass, although I expect him to shout 'Get Over Here!' and then hurl a roped spear at someone. (I'm saying he reminds me of Scorpion from MK)

good observation. i'll try and post a more recent pic to show you i feel the same way about the previous look.
this was the major letdown in the styles provided for characters in the game. basically a disease brought on by the popularity of WoW.
a large majority of the styles were more "fantasy" then "superheroy".
though, this was my "druid" style phase, and i was sorta going for that look on purpose--without the huge shoulder armor though probably, which i've since dropped.

not to crossover too much from the "video game" thread, but DCUO was a serious blast for awhile. the premise was fantastic, and really the perfect Escape for a bum like me with no real life. it was a great chance to finally live out some of the dreams i had as a kid reading comic books. good thing it wasnt MARVEL or i probably would never stop playing, lol.

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on April 14, 2011, 07:35:24 PM
not to crossover too much from the "video game" thread, but DCUO was a serious blast for awhile. the premise was fantastic, and really the perfect Escape for a bum like me with no real life. it was a great chance to finally live out some of the dreams i had as a kid reading comic books. good thing it wasnt MARVEL or i probably would never stop playing, lol.

That's kinda why I haven't tried it yet. I have too much on my plate as it is and being a 'DC Dude' I would never stop playing. Hell i played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 forever!

VA $l!m

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 14, 2011, 07:41:00 PM

That's kinda why I haven't tried it yet. I have too much on my plate as it is and being a 'DC Dude' I would never stop playing. Hell i played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 forever!

in all honesty after putting in prob close to 500 hours my recommendation would be to pick this game up in a year once theyve added a ton more content and ironed out all the bugs. being a MMO it only grows with time. i built a league (guild) of 150 members and had a blast, but once i maxed out on all the content it got sorta stale and really the only thing to do was redo the same stuff over and over again except once new stuff came out with monthly updates. seeing as the game isnt sellable, its permanently linked to one account, i might re-subscribe in a year and enjoy what i missed, but for now its a wrap.

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on April 14, 2011, 08:02:02 PM

in all honesty after putting in prob close to 500 hours my recommendation would be to pick this game up in a year once theyve added a ton more content and ironed out all the bugs. being a MMO it only grows with time. i built a league (guild) of 150 members and had a blast, but once i maxed out on all the content it got sorta stale and really the only thing to do was redo the same stuff over and over again except once new stuff came out with monthly updates. seeing as the game isnt sellable, its permanently linked to one account, i might re-subscribe in a year and enjoy what i missed, but for now its a wrap.

To tell the truth I've never played an MMO but this one REALLY has me wanting to play it.

VA $l!m

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 14, 2011, 08:22:05 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on April 14, 2011, 08:02:02 PM

To tell the truth I've never played an MMO but this one REALLY has me wanting to play it.

it has its merits, though not so much in the traditional MMO sense. it was the 1st real MMO i ever comitted to playing. as a MMO i think one of its major flaws is that the MMO aspects are more of a handicap than a help. in other words the " massivemultiplayer" aspect of the game isnt really the fun part, imo. the fun part is more of the experience you get from your own play, even when in groups. despite running probably the largest league/guild on PS3--seriously, 150 active members-- it never felt like much of deeper experience because of our league's activity. it more felt like we were required to have such a large league in order to progress. i guess im slightly bitter since we have since disbanded our league after some jealous officers formed a coup and ruined everything, but i dunno... PS3 MMOers have a lot to learn compared to PC vets of the genre.
Outside of the differences in the platform communities though and the forced nature of playing with experienced groups, i personally don't feel the game ever really delivered on its tag line promise of :" THE NEXT LEGEND IS YOU"
this gets back to what i think we were originally talking about as Comic Book geeks wanting to fulfill some sort of escapist fantasy.
bottom line is after maxing out my character as one of the highest geared players on my server i still just felt like another carbon copy of the other heros online. There just wasnt enough customization, especially in the way of your powers.
to compound that issue many of the character classes emaphasize weaknesses over attributes.
bottom line is there was just not enough Epicness invloved.
add to that my hatred of all things DC, and the fact that they took the blandest form of DC style to put into the game.
though there are defintely some wonderful design things going on. mostly because of Jim Lee.
i grew up worshiping at the temple of Jim Lee. also, seeing as he really 'came up' working for Marvel , this helped me deal with my DC biases.

....ramble, ramble...

mistercharlie

Jim Lee is the man!! I recently checked out the new book about him and his artwork 'Icons' from the local library. It was a really cool stroll down memory lane looking at all the wonderful stuff he's put out over the years.