News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Time Warner/Comcast customers....

Started by Marmar, April 20, 2014, 10:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Hey folks. I know a lot of us on here are Time Warner/Comcast customers so I thought I'd share a lil experience I've had with them, with YOU.

IF you have internet from said companies, check your equipment and service package. IF you have any of their "upgraded" bandwidth packages AND you rent your modem from them, BE CERTAIN that the modem you have is DOCIS 3.0.

I've had Time Warner off and on now for 10+ years. I've always had their faster service because of the amount of stuff I download and serve. Recently I did some checking of my equipment because I rented their modem figuring that they knew what equipment worked best with their services.......WRONG........Come to find out, the most popular modem they use, the Surfboard 5100 series, isn't even CLOSE to capable of sustaining the speeds of their "higher tier" services. When I discovered this, I called Time Warner to inquire. Wow......

The rep was very polite about my inquiries.....then I dropped the bomb on them:

Me: "can you see how long I've had your "turbo" service?"
TWC: "yes, I see you've had the turbo upgrade from the start of your services in 2007"
Me: "can you tell me what modem I've had that entire time?"
TWC: "let me look at your account.....I see you are renting the Surfboard 5100b which we provided when you started service"
Me: "ok...so, let's get this straight....I've had your faster service from the point of start-up, and I've been using your equipment as well, correct?"
TWC: "yes, that is correct"
Me: "so then you guys owe me some credits or something because the equipment you provided me for my services CAN NOT EVEN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SERVICES YOU'VE BEEN SELLING ME. I've been paying you for 7 years for something I can't even use because the equipment you provided doesn't even support the package you sold me. Does that sound very fair to you?"
TWC: "I'm sorry you feel that way sir, but the equipment we provide is suited to provide you with the services you have with us"
ME: CLICK

So....after getting a DOCIS 3 modem, my speeds ALMOST TRIPLED.

So beware....if you have their upgraded services, be sure that you have the equipment to handle it. Stop renting their modems and buy your own.....your downloads will thank you.

I went from 2000Kb/s down 580Kb/s up......using their equipment
to
9000Kb/s down 1800Kb/s up.....using my own modem

But their equipment is made for the service they provide....... :roll:
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

VDB

I have an Arris modem, Time Warner-issued. According to Speedtest.net just now I got 34mbps down and 5mbps up, which is not unusual.

But in general, fuck TWC right in the pooper.
Is this still Wombat?