News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W12: 08-02-1997 The Gorge Amphitheatre, Quincy, WA

Started by jonyem, July 31, 2006, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonyem

:phish:

Ok kiddies, here's my pick!
Special thanks go out to Jedifunk and August for getting the FLAC's and mp3's out to the people.

Here's the FLAC:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=27630
http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=5667

and here are the mp3:
disc 1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cyvx7v

disc 2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ijgbep

disc 3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/srxgi8

My own review will come later in the proceedings.

Enjoy,
Jon

jedifunk

sickness!  i LOVE this show... the debut of the gorge!  what a fucking unbelievable place to see a show... the best IMO...

and a great show taboot!  i'll give my review later tonight probably as i've already listened to it once today, and will again this afternoon... but a quick preview shows a sick 1st set with standout versions of ghost, wolfmans & split... plus a flawless (imo) divided sky as the sun set over the gorge (cant top that, or can you?)....

2nd set rages dwd->tweezer style... the segue is on par with the similar segue of dwd->mikes from 7/22, and the topper is the HOOD... when trey asks for chris to kill the lights so we can jam in the dark, i think i almost fainted from the sheer beauty and magnitude of the whole thing....  the gorge, the view, the sick show, and the hood in the dark!  absolutely perfect...

imo, i think this was possibly my favorite show at the gorge... great pick jonyem!

lol, that was a review in itself, but the long version coming soon (gonna try and pull a faux and write a disertation ;) )
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

I'm glad this is an enjoyable pick.
I know it isn't really an under the radar pick, but it's a special show to me, it's my first.
The vibe there was terrific, the set list is fantasatic and i still get tingles listening to it today.
Whenever Divided Sky comes up in conversation or i just see the title in a set list, I think of this one.

Sunset was wonderful, and the Hood in the Dark was pure beauty. It was one of the few times I've felt small and insignificant WHILE feeling a part of EVERYTHING and everyone.

Alumni

Quote from: jonyem on July 31, 2006, 01:05:43 PM
I'm glad this is an enjoyable pick.
I know it isn't really an under the radar pick

The more I think about it, the more I don't think it matters very much. if at all.

It seems like the further back you go the harder it is to find something "under the radar." And what's borderline under the radar for one person might be an all-time epic for another. 1994, for example, doesn't generate a lot of discussion on the paug. Are any of the July shows under the radar? June? Bomb factory or the warfield run in May? Not as I see it. 

Thought about picking one of my attendeds that I always thought to be a little bit standard, to see if others saw things that I missed. But then I thought "What if I'm not wrong and it is kind of a tired, plain show?" Seems like a waste of a pick (not to mention everyone else's time). So for my turn, I think I'll just try to pick an interesting show that hasn't been discussed much in recent weeks, regardless its a monster or dark horse.

QuoteEnjoy,
seems like a safe bet :wink:
Cause I got a degree

jedifunk

well said alumni!  i really think that each person should just pick a show that they enjoy and think others should hear... IMO it doesnt have to be "under the radar" or a hidden gem... i think it should just be a show that someone wants to share
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

susep

jedifunk

ok i want to point this out before anyone blows their ears out or has a heartattack when the volume up high....

the source on etree for this show that i posted has 2 spots of diginoise during Hood.... i almost drove off the road just now while having it cranked in the car...

they are both during the jam section of the song... i'll give another listen (at lower volume) and post back with approx timings...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

ok, i apologize, i was wrong... it wasnt diginoise... i was in our VW which doesnt have a direct line aux input, so i have to use an iTrip... and the volume on my ipod was too low, so it had a couple of spots where it had temporary connection loss...  i apologize... this is a great source!  sound is excellent, and the show rules....

incidently, this Hood is AMAZING!  definitely a favorite of mine!  and i just noticed today that during the ending "feel good about hood" part, trey says "mt. hood" during one part... funny shit, cant believe i hadnt caught that before.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

Quote from: jedifunk on July 31, 2006, 03:19:10 PM
incidently, this Hood is AMAZING!  definitely a favorite of mine!  and i just noticed today that during the ending "feel good about hood" part, trey says "mt. hood" during one part... funny shit, cant believe i hadnt caught that before.

I've probably listened to this show more than any other, on multiple sources, and I've never heard that. Hmm, i need to go play it again, LOUDER!

jedifunk

Quote from: jonyem on July 31, 2006, 03:25:06 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on July 31, 2006, 03:19:10 PM

I've probably listened to this show more than any other, on multiple sources, and I've never heard that. Hmm, i need to go play it again, LOUDER!
i know right!  i've listened to it countless times and never caught it before either
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

i love this show. sure wish i'd been there. all the big songs in the first set are fantastic and the whole second set is insane. guess it's time to listen to it again!

:banana:

jedifunk

ah yeah, again and again!

(can you guess where that quote is from?)
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on July 31, 2006, 04:52:15 PM
ah yeah, again and again!

(can you guess where that quote is from?)

its a hip hop song... can hear it in my head... can't place it... thanks, now i'm gonna go nuts tryin to figure it out.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jephrey

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.