News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W11: 06-15-1995 Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA

Started by fauxpaxfauxreal, July 23, 2006, 07:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

i didnt say that you say a lot, just that you traditionally have VERY long posts!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jedifunk on July 26, 2006, 10:02:16 PM
i didnt say that you say a lot, just that you traditionally have VERY long posts!

:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

I was fishing for compliments!

Did I say that I loved it about the bowie jam yet?

:-D :-D :-D

Alumni

Relistened to the slave after the later discussion. I still don't think it quite reaches its potential. Has moments where its on the edge of greatness...but then backs away. Still, it *is* a powerful version. I'll stick with a B+ for show (literally, very good; well-above avg). It wouldn't surprise me to see someone make a case for a half-grade higher.
:beers:
Cause I got a degree

thelot

Thanks for your post faux! I had totally forgotten about the burger balls until I read your blog, those things were freakin everywhere!!! :-D

susep

ok another dank "under the radar" show from Atlanta '95  :beers:

My Friend>tight, great opener>ending is trippier then usual(a subtle sign the band is pumped).  
Not a big fan of early Bags(saw the monster 14Sept.99 version last night on youtube :-D)but this one rocks w/ some interesting feedback near 4:45, from there Trey rips it up>high energy soloing by TA, has that classic '95 almost wash sound effect.
Taste>I love it when Trey takes over the jam while Page comps like a mad man>soaring peaks by TA not as sustained as later versions will become but good nonetheless esp. for new material(ALO was not yet released).  
Wedge>I love Fish's opening drum intro although this one is brief.
Stash>crowd cheers, t&r time>I like how Trey admits ripping off Monk's Jump Monk for the jam chords>Trey lifts-off at 5:02>dark melodicism, the band lunging into deep tension right away>very tight playing almost sounding restrained yet as I type the energy intensifies>near 8:30 Trey shifts subtely w/ Mike following>variation w/ ascending riff into darker melodicism>great tone by Trey>excellent jamming here>TA setting up the release w/ howling cries into trilling before 11:30 mini-release>the cool thing about this Stash and others is how after the release they will return to tension usually accenting their previous jam however this one returns to more of an ambient sound before the > into IDK.
'Lope>cool harmonics by Trey before the fall into jam>jam begins dank>dark melodicism like the earlier Stash>synopocated>clean, tight, focused playing, nice leads by senor Trey>every so slightly ahead of his bandmates>Page responding nicely>jam raging along well>TA switching it up w/ added tension>howling release into choppy, poly-tonal Trey>back to release w/ cont. tension building>searing Trey>Rocco.
set II
MSO>fun
Bowie>jam opens ominously>subtle communication w/ atypical spacing>very cool>wha like effect>Tweezeresque chromatics into more space>back to traditional sounding Bowie but Page is influencing the jam into atonal variations>sounding similar to Stash in its mini tension jams back to theme>I've noticed Mike is low in the mix here>nice flying jam near 12:00>fuses w/ earlier tensions>eastern sounding>descending run into classic '95 wash effect>carthritic jamming>march sounding>Page on clav?>sounds like Fall'94 esp. w/ chanting>heavier sounding>Trey rockig out chords metal style>Fish picks up the tempo>Trey w/ '72 Garcia dissonance>into funk chording, nice jam here>reminds me of Jam 3 at Name that Jam(Bowie from 26Nov.94)>Its Ice tease subtle>scary build>release back into Bowie>cool trill segment>hot ending.
Slave>jam begins patiently w/ harmonic variations>knowing the ALO Slave was on its way undoubtedly helped raise the bar in this tunes jam>everyone sounding collective as the jam begins to open up>unusually more chording by Trey in this version>near 9:00 min Trey begins unleashing before he returns to voicings sort of an ascending mix of chord voicings and brief solos>trill into upper octave soloing/voicing>howling Trey lifts off, screaming leads, Trey trying to muster all he can before outro and thank you's.
Bouncin'>another ALO feature(now I know why Faux likes this tune as an encore :-D).

Conclusion:  Great show esp. the Stash, Antelope, Bowie and, Slave.  Preety much a straight t&r show(improvisationally speaking)which is to say very good>indeed there are many interesting "mini-jams" that were spawned.  
I would like to note the similarity between this show's construction and that of 26Nov.94>both open w/ My Friend and feature blissful Bowie/Slave set 2 jams.

Grade: A-  

Excellent choice Faux, back under the radar> :beers:

fauxpaxfauxreal

Thanks guys, the only reason I mentioned the Slave is because everyone seemed dismissive of it...and yes it is truly A POWERFUL version (even though it's not the "best").

And yes, maybe that is why I like Bouncin' in general (both as an encore and as an opener)...but I also just like the pop songs in general  (only one I don't really like is Cavern...ok Zero got old too.).

And yeah, I like how you described that part of bowie as "march like" it is like the Bhatan Death March of marches.

Possibly like the Imperial March (but not really)  :roll:

sls.stormyrider

Yea - one of the "problems" is that the average Phish show is very good - great. These "average" shows, and song versions, get compared to the totally un-fuckin' believable shows. I find that I'm almost spoiled by those.
I liked this Slave (and most slaves). IMO this slave, like most of them, really soar. But it's not the best version, some soar more, so at least for myself when I say something like it's not may favorite, it may sound like I don't like it, but I do.
Same with Bouncin - I always smile during this song. They're all about the same so there is not much to comment.
Hope this makes sense, its just something that came to mind as I was listening and reviewing this week, that here was a really good show but I wasn't blown away cause 11/21/97 was still in my head from last week.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

Quote from: slslbs on July 27, 2006, 02:47:48 PM
Yea - one of the "problems" is that the average Phish show is very good - great. These "average" shows, and song versions, get compared to the totally un-fuckin' believable shows. I find that I'm almost spoiled by those.

ditto that's why we should all aim in showcasing lesser known, "under the radar" performances.  :beers: > coffee and bowls at this hour. :-D