News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Is my HD screwed??....

Started by ytowndan, July 25, 2008, 09:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

I've tried restarting and it didn't work.  This is what all my folders look like (and you can see that when i hold my cursor over a folder it says "folder is empty")

And, when I try to open a folder it says "The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect".  I don't even know wtf that means. 

EDIT:  I just realized that it's only about half of the HD.  All the other stuff is fine. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

jephrey

backup everything you can and run whatever utilities you can before turning it off...  If you can only get about half the stuff, maybe the drive has a bad platter.  It may not restart properly so do your duty and backup everything you can first, then restart the drive.  Hopefully it takes care of itself but if it is a hardware failure, you may have lost the stuff that doesn't open.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

disco

if the platter is bad I'd just go buy more cheese and meat  :roll:
(I have nothing constructive to add so I figure a sarcastic ass comment could bring a smile)
Happy to help with any lost tunes....that goes for any HD crasher, for lossless files anyway
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

blatboom

I like how he's still putting up seeds despite this potential disaster.

ytowndan

Thanks for the offer disco, fortunately, all of that drive is backed up to dvd already.  I'm just trying to save the drive. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.