News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

lossy live music... vbr or cbr?

Started by jedifunk, August 08, 2008, 07:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jasonsobel

I voted for option 3.
but when I do compress to mp3, I use VBR.
sing me back home before I die

mattstick

uglyroomer

why does everyone prefer vbr?  (when choosing lossy)   
I normally go with a 192 cbr rip mp3for the ipod..  vbr better? 
Jimmy Page's quote:"You think of the drum part that John Bonham did on Led Zeppelin's first track on the first album, 'Good Times Bad Times'. How many drummers in the world can play that part, let alone on Christmas morning?"

disco

I'm on team vbr for the ipod as well
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

Marmar

VBR is supposedly a more efficient use of available bandwidth....in other words it compresses more when it can, and less when it doesn't have to.....this method is supposedly good for very dynamic music.....

I'll always take #3, but when I do compress to mp3 for dj'ing and my zen, I always go at least 192kbps/vbr...thats about as much as my ears can handle....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

jedifunk

Quote from: uglyroomer on August 09, 2008, 12:12:07 AM
why does everyone prefer vbr?  (when choosing lossy)   
I normally go with a 192 cbr rip mp3for the ipod..  vbr better? 
this is the question i was hoping to have answered.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

Quote from: Marmar on August 09, 2008, 01:22:35 AM
VBR is supposedly a more efficient use of available bandwidth....in other words it compresses more when it can, and less when it doesn't have to.....this method is supposedly good for very dynamic music.....

I'll always take #3, but when I do compress to mp3 for dj'ing and my zen, I always go at least 192kbps/vbr...thats about as much as my ears can handle....
followed by a good answer
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

tet

for my iPods, 192 kbit AAC VBRs.  otherwise, i leave it in lossless for at-home listening.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

all lossless all the time.  period.  Rotation on the iPod is too simple to not have lossless all the time.  Not to mention that you're basically storing yet another copy of the same thing you already have.  Finally, if things hold true, in about 5 years, the 1TB and 2TB flash iPod will take care of you.  I've always been patient with technology, and have always been satisfied with advances.  I waited to get an iPod until it could play lossless.  I always assumed gapless playback was coming, and I was right.  Now I know that for a few years I'll rotate as I have been (which is nice for shuffle too because it won't be playing ALL Phish), but when it's available, keeping an entire archive on your HD, backed up to disc, and on your iPod will be simple.  Because we've got a band.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Marmar

and we archive lossless in this band.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

thechad

What is a band without archived lossless?
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

run OJ!

(sorry, didn't know where else to go with this...)
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy