News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W05: 07-25-1999 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Started by jedifunk, June 12, 2006, 09:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

I'm a big ABB fan and I thought the 'Post was decent:

Quote from: susep73 on June 13, 2006, 12:25:49 AM
Post>I heard back in the day Fish sang lead>HYHU.  Trey sounding inspired vocally.  Nice Page first solo>B3 action>Trey chordig nicely adding sonic tones>Trey, Mike and Page solo together after verse>the debate on the other thread about Trey playing outside the box is best exemplified here>although the signals are blues Trey morphs.  Strong finish.

August

alright, i listened to this last night.
always was one of my favs.....
alot of kickdowns going down here.

Meat- I am a big fan of meat.and this was the first time meat was an opener.it might not have that opener feel, but to me, signifies that they are in a good mood and just going with it.had not appeared in the last 25 shows.the mike solo section towards the end was quite meaty and deelish.
My Friend- my friend is my favorite phish song.it is such a shame that the beginning is always messed up, though.this one wasnt too bad, but did have a couple flubs.cool though, especially that it was played as the second song, and not as the opener slot, which it often appears in.this was not played in the last 32 shows.another kick.nice outro jam into...
Left Toe- always a good time.rare tune, maybe not for 99, but cool none the less.i like how the jam really changes directions a few minutes before Whipping Post.the segue is as smooth as it gets.
Post-definitely the show highlight.energy was super high for this.i like how thet really take the jam out there for a while.and then when trey comes back in with the "sometimes i feel"....you remember that they are still playing Whipping Post!cool that trey took the lead.this was the biggest kickdown.not played in the last 207 shows and waas the last time ever played.
Makisupa- fun version.kicked it down for CK.the reggae happy Berfday was nice.i like when Chris gets on the mic and says "hey Trey? it's Chris.....at the light board"!he sounds  like he didnt want to scare the shit out of them.....
saw it Again- i can take it or leave this song.i equate this with vultures.i used to like them alot in 97, but am not really a big fan of either anymore.this version was good, though.
Boogie On- and boogie on i equate with sand, because there is not much you can do once you are locked into these kinds of grooves.i mean there is, but they dont do much with them.both are really fun to groove to.cool breakdowns at the end.real funky version.then cavern.

awesome first set!

Birds- definite 99 jam feel to this.hard to explain that type of style, but is unmistakeable when heard.just like great woods, they take this one out there for a while.i really like tis jam even though it doesnt really vary too much.but that can be a good thing.the changes that they do make are subtle and appropriate.great segue into
Walk Away- always a treat.not played in the last 35 shows.
Antelope- always good to hear songs that usually close sets right in the middle.this one is pretty good.it is antelope and does what it is.the breakdown after the buildup is extra funky.and there was a little stash tease in the intro.(right here i say that the new girl is not reading this because it is too long)nothing too nuts, but good version.
Suzy- not played in the last 27 shows.extra funky sections at the end with page and mike.mike's line is serious!great suzy!
Purple rain-i like fishman tunes.to me, especially later on in the years, i t signified that they were having a good time.same goes for lawn boy.humurous rendition.also, not played in the last 209 shows and was the last time played!
YEM-was yem.boogie teases.not much going on here.
Cup-standard, but good.

My first A!
great pick jedi!
i love the club!
a

jephrey

birds won't open for me in winzip because it has a > in it.  And I can't rename it.  This computer blows.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Lengthwise

jephrey

I'll forward that on to my boss.

Yeah, I can't open this music that I just downloaded, can I get a mac?

Haha  :samurai:

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jephrey on June 16, 2006, 04:17:01 PM
I'll forward that on to my boss.

Yeah, I can't open this music that I just downloaded, can I get a mac?

Haha  :samurai:

Jephrey

He's probably had the same problem.

For solving it, you'll get a raise!   :mrgreen: :beers:

sophist

alright the 2nd set is the fucking fire.  A new favorite of mine.  Thanks for sharing jedi.  I'll give the whipping post another listen and get back to ya.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

thelot

First of all I'd like to thank Jedi and the rest of the G-Crew for picking a great 1st set. Highlights for me...

Set I:
Meat (nice opener, nice version)
My Friend> (cool version)
My Left Toe> (pretty cool)
Whipping Post> (we were listening to 5-24-88 Set II a lot this tour, so it was nice to hear this great version)
Makisupa (great version! I remember playing this for my younger brother (Chris) on his B-Day (9/4) driving out to the Gorge for Fall '99. It's funny cause whenever we roll one up he never passes it to anyone, so everone in the car had a good laugh during Fish's part. :lol:)
Saw it Again (nice version)
Boogie On (wow, never realized how good this version was...damn. :-o Highlight of the set for me.)

Set II:
Birds (decent version)
Antelope (very nice)
Suzy (solid)
Purple Rain (comical)
YEM (decent version)

Solid show. I give it a 4.2 out of 5 for this tour.

jephrey

Huh, now they're right there.  It seemed that it wouldn't decompress them, I couldn't see them, then this moring when I turn the thing on they're there.  Interesting.

So I'm listening now and will report today!

jephrey

This was a good meat...  I didn't like earlier versions where they couldn't hit the break well.  This was good in that respect, and I like the song.  Strangely enough, I like it as an opener.

MFMF, this might as well have been the opener.  It's one of my favorite orchestral pieces.  It was fairly general, but the bustout of something like MLT afterwards was very cool

MLT,  Just a chill song.  I really like it here and the transition to WP is very smooth.

Whipping Post,  I suppose I'n not the usual WP fan, but I really really liked this version.  It just kinda built up from the MLT groove.

Makisupa + HB Kuroda,  This whole thing was good and what made it so good was the birthday jam.  I like the interaction.  Musically, it was good.

I Saw it Again,  I don't know if I'm on the fence about this song or not.  My opinion always differs.  This time, I thought it was average.

Boogie On,  WHOA!  Gordo!  This is my Set1 highlight.  Mike was on all kinds of fire.

Cavern,  Average, and as always, a good closer.

Birds, I love this version, which I agree, has an unmistakeable 99 feel to it.  And very good 99.  It's just damned good.  Edging on ambience, but still structured enough to get down with.  I like when songs like this fall apart (as this one did around 14:30) but come back with Fish just hitting a groove and getting everyone else to come along and keep jamming.  Kinda changes the mood too, sounding like something from the Siket Disc. (Is that a Bye Bye Foot sounding jam?  It sounds familiar in any case).  I'd call it a typical transition into...

Walk Away,  I don't know whether to think that this is a treat or not.  Maybe I'm not a big fan of the song, so I don't really call it a bustout, but it was played well, and I liked it here.

Auntie Lope,  What I don't like about antelope, is that sometimes they'll build it up so damn much, that I'll get worn out.  This one has a very chill segment, almost stopping before the buildup (which was not insane).  It's already a good rendition.  The end is standard

Suzy,  I always hve high hopes for Page when the breaks come...  This one is slow and a bit groovy, and although I didn't get the ultra-funk clav, the breaks were good.  I liked the second one extended over trey's loops.  BTW, this is a place where I do NOT like the clap-along.  Man, Page had a nice little piano piece going on and then the clapping starts.  Luckily they break out of it a few measures later and get the thing speeding up.  Page is shining now, and I like Trey's little guitar runs.  And then the stop for Page's (Superstition? or some Stevie Wonder song that I'm brain farting on) tease.  When the lyrics started back up, I could have gone for another round of Page solo, but alas it ends.  Might surprise many that this is a highlight of this set for me.  I like those breaks.

Purple Rain,  cool

YEM, better than average, cool Boogie On teases.

Loving Cup,  Not my fav, but good nonetheless.

This show was tight and good.  I really liked it because of some outstanding segments from Page and Mike.  I might even rate this higher that any yet...  It'd at least be close.

Jephrey

whatapiper

i havnt had much spare time lately, so writing these has been difficult for the last couple of great shows.

all i can say without talking about the 2nd set is...

My Friend My Friend> My Left Toe> Whipping Post!!!! :phish: nuff said! whatakickdown!
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong