News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: August on January 21, 2019, 03:04:23 PM
Your pace is coming down too!
I think if you put a half on your radar, sub-2 is in your reach.

Man, I literally just checked that this morning, and made a chart of paces I'd need to break 2:10 (9:54/m), 2:05 (9:32/m), and sub-2 (9:09).

Yesterday I did a half in 2:16:37 (10:26/m), and my PR from Fall 2017 was 2:14:27 (10:16/m)...so I was only 10 sec off pace...I could beat that. And I checked the calendar and there's a half in 8 weeks, I was thinking, can I shave off 32 sec/mile in that much time to break the 2:10? And maybe progress thru the year to break 2hrs in 2019? That'd be amazing.

I have a feeling being 21 weeks nicotine free has something to do with this.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

Hell yeah it does!
If you really don't want to run a Marathon this year, sign up for the half in 8wks with a goal of a PR.
You can easily run close to 205 then, but just saying you want a PR takes a little pressure off.
A Fall half will be cake to get under 2.

Caravan2001

Quote from: gah on January 21, 2019, 03:31:46 PM

Man, I literally just checked that this morning, and made a chart of paces I'd need to break 2:10 (9:54/m), 2:05 (9:32/m), and sub-2 (9:09).

Yesterday I did a half in 2:16:37 (10:26/m), and my PR from Fall 2017 was 2:14:27 (10:16/m)...so I was only 10 sec off pace...I could beat that. And I checked the calendar and there's a half in 8 weeks, I was thinking, can I shave off 32 sec/mile in that much time to break the 2:10? And maybe progress thru the year to break 2hrs in 2019? That'd be amazing.

I have a feeling being 21 weeks nicotine free has something to do with this.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Hopefully your rolled ankle is feeling better.  I have a bunch of events coming up in April and May (biking).  Biggest is 117 miles with 6500' climbing.  I think I can cram in some fitness but I've got 2 weeks in Costa Rica on 2/14 and then a week in LA on business middle of March which is really throwing my training plan for a loop.  I feel like I'll start building up fitness and then have to take a break at really bad times.  It might actually be good to have some forced rest times but two weeks off the bike is a big jam up.  Did a threshold test yesterday though and it came out decent so I'm not in terrible shape considering I've only ridden 100 miles this year.  Got a new bike being built up now so that will be great motivation for me to get out on the road up to my events. Pumped for this year.  Last year was not a good one as I came in 1500 miles short of my 4000 mile goal. Couple of crashes really sunk me for the last 3 months of the year. Hoping for 4500 this year but I am already a fair bit behind pace.  But I'm feeling good about this year so....

gah

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 24, 2019, 10:19:58 PM
Quote from: gah on January 21, 2019, 03:31:46 PM

Hopefully your rolled ankle is feeling better.  I have a bunch of events coming up in April and May (biking).  Biggest is 117 miles with 6500' climbing.  I think I can cram in some fitness but I've got 2 weeks in Costa Rica on 2/14 and then a week in LA on business middle of March which is really throwing my training plan for a loop.  I feel like I'll start building up fitness and then have to take a break at really bad times.  It might actually be good to have some forced rest times but two weeks off the bike is a big jam up.  Did a threshold test yesterday though and it came out decent so I'm not in terrible shape considering I've only ridden 100 miles this year.  Got a new bike being built up now so that will be great motivation for me to get out on the road up to my events. Pumped for this year.  Last year was not a good one as I came in 1500 miles short of my 4000 mile goal. Couple of crashes really sunk me for the last 3 months of the year. Hoping for 4500 this year but I am already a fair bit behind pace.  But I'm feeling good about this year so....

Yeah dude, that was some nonsense. I was 3 miles into a run when it happened. Immediate thought was, well, I'm 3 miles from the car even if I turn back right now, so I might as well finish this loop, but then once I started I couldn't feel the pain (from endorphins I guess), so I just kept going and did 8 more miles! Not smart. Spent the rest of the day with it iced, elevated, ibuprofen, and a compression sleeve. Tried a mile the next day on a treadmill, realized this was going to require a couple days off. It's still not 100% but def good enough to keep running. Plus, I've just come to accept that pain is a part of running.

A two week trip to Costa Rica sounds awesome! But yeah, it'll def throw your training for a loop. But you can stay active swimming and running there, even if you can't ride? I'm aiming to do a 1/2 in 7 weeks, but I've got a 5 day backpacking/hiking trip through the Guadalupe Mtns NP in the middle of that too. We'll be covering quite a few miles and climbs hiking so I'm not sweating a lost run or two that week. I feel like a forced break like that could be good for you tho, maybe bring you back stoked to ride again.

4500 is a helluva goal, way to put it out there and hold yourself accountable! I only did 500 last year, didn't really have a goal, that's just what happened, but I'm shooting for 1000 this year. Just need to approach it with focus and consistency.

G. Augusto

Paced the 3:30 group last Sunday at the LI Marathon.
A little gutsy as I missed 5wks recently for a knee issue.
Also, 14 miles was my longest run since January but I figured I was good to run 8:00 all day.
It poured like a mutha all day. Had a small group at the start going for 3:30, but most dropped off early. Had two guys at 16M and one at 18M. Dude's previous PR was 3:47, so he was going big!
Long story short, he nailed it! I cut him loose at 25M and he went on to run 3:28.40. Huge PR and negative split!
I came in at 3:29.30, also with a negative half.
Very rewarding getting that dude to his goal.

Caravan2001

Quote from: G. Augusto on May 07, 2019, 05:57:58 PM
Also, 14 miles was my longest run since January but I figured I was good to run 8:00 all day.
It poured like a mutha all day. Had a small group at the start going for 3:30, but most dropped off early. Had two guys at 16M and one at 18M. Dude's previous PR was 3:47, so he was going big!
Long story short, he nailed it! I cut him loose at 25M and he went on to run 3:28.40. Huge PR and negative split!

Sick dude!  Nice work!

gah

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 07, 2019, 09:50:25 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on May 07, 2019, 05:57:58 PM

Sick dude!  Nice work!

So sick! Your pace control is fucking insane. Way to help that dude get it done!

I didn't post it in here before, but earlier this spring, Aug helped me get a personal best on a half as well, crushed it by 6 mins, about 27 sec/mile faster. He'd hooked me up with a solid training plan and coached me thru those last couple weeks. I know I thanked you then, but big ups and thanks on the paug as well.

Been out of commission for several weeks now with a hip stress fracture ( I shouldn't have ignored that hip pain for as long as I did) but finally starting to cross train and build back up, hoping to start slowly working in some short runs soon though. Still want to break that 2hr mark in a half by the fall. Just need to build back up slowly though. This recovery time hasn't been fun.

G. Augusto

Chyeah!
Stinks that you're on the sidelines, but don't sweat it.
Get on the bike or in the pool if you're able to and you'll retain that fitness.

khalpin

You guys are maniacs.  Every time I check out this thread I realize how many light years away I am.  But huge props to you guys nonetheless.  You're killing it.

G. Augusto

Thanks! Just keep running!

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

G. Augusto

Snagged my 1st Boston Qualifying Time (BQ) on Sun in 3:09.20.
Might not make it to the 2020 race, but definitely the following year.
I have one more Marathon at the end of October as I start chipping away at that sub-3!

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

G. Augusto

Quote from: birdman on September 10, 2019, 05:25:39 PM
Nice work Aug.  :beers:

Thanks! You anywhere near the course?
The race is on 420 next year  :-o

Caravan2001

Quote from: G. Augusto on September 10, 2019, 05:22:58 PM
Snagged my 1st Boston Qualifying Time (BQ) on Sun in 3:09.20.
Might not make it to the 2020 race, but definitely the following year.
I have one more Marathon at the end of October as I start chipping away at that sub-3!

Nice job dude. You've been putting in the work for sure.  Good for you!