News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

There's going to be a Grateful Dead graphic novel that tells the origins of The Dead. It will come with a vinyl containing unreleased music.

Here's a story about it:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/grateful-dead-graphic-novel-z2-comics-824189/

Here's the link to pre-order it:
https://www.z2comics.com/shop/grateful-dead
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VA $l!m

Had seen cuts from this interview before, but just watched the entire thing. Really one of the best with him i've seen. Just so relaxed.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

gainesvillegreen

A brief shout out for today in GD history - 4/27/77 Port Chester, NY - what is my personal favorite Morning Dew I've ever heard. On my 5th time listening to it today.

:syf:

Caveat: I've not heard every Morning Dew ever played. I know....
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Caravan2001

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on April 27, 2019, 05:48:30 PM
A brief shout out for today in GD history - 4/27/77 Port Chester, NY - what is my personal favorite Morning Dew I've ever heard. On my 5th time listening to it today.

Don't think I have heard that one.  Going to check it out.  FWIW, my fave is 11/2/85, and I recommend it to anyone who's not familiar.  And don't sleep on the Space lead in....

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on April 21, 2019, 05:45:15 PM
Had seen cuts from this interview before, but just watched the entire thing. Really one of the best with him i've seen. Just so relaxed.

Nice- going to check that out when I have the time.  Started it for a second, really cool.  That's like just after the coma.  You would think if you came out of a coma you would quit cigs, or maybe that's just me...

mbw

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 28, 2019, 09:58:34 PM

Don't think I have heard that one.  Going to check it out.  FWIW, my fave is 11/2/85, and I recommend it to anyone who's not familiar.  And don't sleep on the Space lead in....

https://www.instagram.com/31daysofdead/p/BwwcFodh9UN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=kr1csq40u3t5

Caravan2001

Quote from: mbw on April 28, 2019, 10:18:38 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 28, 2019, 09:58:34 PM

https://www.instagram.com/31daysofdead/p/BwwcFodh9UN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=kr1csq40u3t5

MBdub on the case!  And I do take that back on not having heard it.  I've watched that show vid a bunch, so damn good.

gainesvillegreen

5/5/77
Veterans' Memorial Coliseum
Hartford, CT

Set 1

Promised Land, Sugaree, Mama Tried-> El Paso, Tennessee Jed, Looks Like Rain, Deal, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication, Peggy-O, The Music Never Stopped

Set 2

Bertha, Estimated Prophet, Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain-> Good Lovin', Saint Stephen-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Johnny B. Goode 

Listening to music tends to be cyclical with me, thus spring time tends to be Dead Time. I listen to them consistently, and play them on the piano consistently, but it becomes acute this time of year. I've always thought some of Jerry's best playing comes underneath Bobby's vocals, and this is a good example. He plays these ridiculously long threads of triplets during the final "jam" section of this song that are incredible, during the quiet part... What a beautiful version.

The Peggy-O is pretty good too, lol.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VA $l!m

Personally wraping up a skim through 76.

The last few OcT shows are just on another level including the OAkland Day on the Green Shows and the LA Shrine shows.
-Highly recommend giving these a spin if you can.

PS- Just noticed checking Deadbase the 'River Deep Mountain High' was actually soundchecked on 12-31, but was never actually played by the Dead.
I need to find out if that soundcheck exists on tape... love that song.

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on May 03, 2019, 02:29:29 PM
Personally wraping up a skim through 76.

The last few OcT shows are just on another level including the OAkland Day on the Green Shows and the LA Shrine shows.
-Highly recommend giving these a spin if you can.

PS- Just noticed checking Deadbase the 'River Deep Mountain High' was actually soundchecked on 12-31, but was never actually played by the Dead.
I need to find out if that soundcheck exists on tape... love that song.

Yeah, October 76 is so good.  There was a lot of stuff I hadn't heard that I dug through last year.  The Oakland shows are great, so is the Shrine, but I had been familiar with those since the tape days.  Never saw these Oakland photos though:

https://www.dead.net/show/october-10-1976

Late September is good too.  Love Rochester and the Cap. And Syracuse lol.

VA $l!m

startin thru 77
3-18 today.
1st of all, incredible show.
craziest thing tho is how much change you hear from 76.
I mean its alot to do with the sound system, but espescially with Jerry as mentioned in my post about oct 76 he really has switched gears from early 76 by comparison.
For example the NFA from this show he really goes into straight Rock God mode. The distortion/overdrive is something that was basically non existant 6 months before.

Aslo, sorta ties into this interview i recently saw from 77 or 78 talkin about how Jer really started to absorb some of the punk energy of the time.

VA $l!m

ya know it still amazes me as much as i listen to the dead that i still come across gems i never really noticed before.. or just forgot sometimes.

listening today to 4-22-77 Philly SPectrum, the show with the 1st MOjo so i know ive listened to it more than once.
Putting on this PLAyin 1st set closer though and WOW.
For starters its always weird around this time when Keith tries to play the organ/synth thingie hes got instead of the piano, but i in this case it really seems to jumpstart Jerry right into some major space.
This jam just goes orbital and IDK almost feels Phishy in some ways as it modulates into some type 2? Regardless, this playin, like goes places ive never heard a playin go before.
A+, check it out.

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on May 14, 2019, 03:11:21 PM
ya know it still amazes me as much as i listen to the dead that i still come across gems i never really noticed before.. or just forgot sometimes.

listening today to 4-22-77 Philly SPectrum, the show with the 1st MOjo so i know ive listened to it more than once.
Putting on this PLAyin 1st set closer though and WOW.
For starters its always weird around this time when Keith tries to play the organ/synth thingie hes got instead of the piano, but i in this case it really seems to jumpstart Jerry right into some major space.
This jam just goes orbital and IDK almost feels Phishy in some ways as it modulates into some type 2? Regardless, this playin, like goes places ive never heard a playin go before.
A+, check it out.

Will check that out- thanks!

emay

listened to that playin yesterday, def some good stuff.