News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'Highly critical' flaws found in Safari for Windows

Started by mopper_smurf, March 27, 2008, 04:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

1. I am browser geek and I was hoping for a decent version of Safari on Windoze. Got it offered through the QuickTime updater and decided to do some digging before I ''OK"ed it. Glad I did so.
2. As for the rants the Apple should know (and do) better, I concur.

And for the record: I have been using using Firefox since ... 0.71. I think.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Firefox 3 is gonna kill... I've been playing with the betas and the heat turned up.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 28, 2008, 01:16:26 PM
Firefox 3 is gonna kill... I've been playing with the betas and the heat turned up.

Yup, hope they do something about CPU usage though.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

The betas that I've tested are notably easier on my RAM.

sls.stormyrider

so I just got a message from Apple telling me it's time to update Itunes.
There is also and Apple update for windows - no mention of safari. Says it's recommended and includes general fixes that improve reliability etc.

Should I trust them? I used to, until this thread
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jephrey

Once you update iTunes, I believe it'll ask if you want to "update" Safari.  It won't install without you hitting OK in a window that says install safari explicitly.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Guyute

It's funny, but of course Safari is vulnerable on Windows.  While all software is flawed, Windows DLL structure makes it more so and Safari must use this structure creating inherit flaws.

Now for Safari on Windows, I only have the beta right now, but it is sloooowwww.  On a Mac it is the fastest, unfortunately they are still working on getting the windows port up to speed.

The browser war is really interesting.  If most people are using your browser you now have a captive audience for ads, content delivery, whatever.  Plus, I really like this browser, what else do they make.  I'll use their default search engine and they will make more money of the top links which pay them for click throughs.  There is a ton of money to be made in the browser war.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.