News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Progress [AKA: The Current Wiki Discussion]

Started by jephrey, November 27, 2006, 03:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

Sweet.

Go here.

http://wikipaug.net/index.php/Songs

The list is started but it only lists songs that have pages (check a few out).  This page itself, should  basically be a list of all originals and covers (A starting point).

I guess all the song pages have a category:song listed at the bottom.  Eventually, the category page will be our song page when all songs have an entry(it looks cool), but right now we need a working list of all songs with correct spelling and capitalization.  Keep a list of ones you are unsure of and ask back here about them. 

Here's the category page just for reference

http://wikipaug.net/index.php/Category:Song

If there are any other things that should have a category, make your suggestion.  We thought about setlists, but it'd just be a lump of stuff.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

phil

could we have an albums category? less actual stuff to categorize but it would be good to have i guess.

and how do i go about making a new song page, or where can i find ones that need help completing?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

phil

i started on the AC/DC Bag page, you can check it out here:
http://wikipaug.net/index.php/AC/DC_Bag#Song_Information

all i have right now is info and lyrics, i hope to get a good chunk of the dates out of the way tonight, if not all of them. btw, what is the fastest way to go about doing that? should i just use the companion or almanac?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

tet

Quote from: phil on November 29, 2006, 08:37:19 PM
should i just use the companion or almanac?

awesome, good work!  also be sure to include the link to the tabs at Emil's

you can use companion, almanac, phish.net... whatever you want.  they are all valid sources.  for the stats i'll frequently check out ihoz.com's stats. 
-Phish

jephrey

aight, good call.  I'll tell you the minor things that I changed...

1.  You don't have to have a section at the top (Song Information).  The page itself is just that.  I removed it.

2.  I usually try to make the lyrics the minimum amount of lines.  They're not long lines so they won't go to the next line even on a small computer, but we don't want to have to scroll like hell to get down the page.  I also put a colon after Verse/Chorus/Bridge.

3.  I don't think you need to link to live phish as albums that the song is on.  Those are just good recordings of live shows so they're not really albums.  You can change that.

4.  Look at the other songs, like tet says to get an idea for the music resources aside from the lyrics (Guitar/bass/lyrics) at emil's wiki.

***This is a note for everyone.  I don't think we need an Albums page and I think eventually we won't need a songs page because every song page belongs to the "Song" category (look at the bottom of any song page)  If you click on that, it shows you everything in that category, and the page is made for you.  I would tink that we would make an album category so that when someone puts the album category on an album, it shows up on the category page.  See my previously mentioned song category page

http://wikipaug.net/index.php/Category:Song

The bottom of the page is automatically populated with the page name when you put [[Category:song]] at the bottom of your song page.  I'll add this to your AC/DC so you can see.  You can also click it right on your page to go to the category page.

I'm working on a macro to make the dates easier.  does anyone have this type of information electronically but unformatted?  I can make a formatting macro that will do that work.  If not, I'll try to make something that at least makes it easier to generate the code, but some typing will be required. 

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

I see you're already back there.  Also, check the number of lines between sections.  Anal, I know, but consistency is good.

J

tet

i disagree, i think we need a Songs page.  there are cover songs and original songs, and to have separate categories for each seems strange.  i see no reason NOT to have a Songs page, in fact...
-Phish

jephrey

FWIW You can put other stuff on the song category page...  And really, the songs page will be a list of songs which is exactly what the category page is.  I do think it's nice to have a songs page with a section for covers and a section for originals but the formatting of the category page is sweet and the wiki would probably like it split up into 2 pages because it's a lot of data.  The covers may look different too so they would have the category of "Cover Song".  As always, I'm for whatever the group is for, and I'm ready to say that this is one we should just have both and see if there comes a time where we can consolidate...

J

tet

gotcha.  so two categories i guess?  because the cover songs are still songs... do we have 3 categories?  Songs, OriginalSongs, CoverSongs?  that way we can look at ALL Songs, all OriginalSongs, all CoverSongs separately?  that means each song needs 2 categories to belong to, which isn't a big deal i suppose.
-Phish

jephrey

IMO, it's a Phish wiki, so Song should imply Original, and CoverSong used for covers. 

I suppose that if you want them all on the same page, then you could also make the OriginalSong category, but I personally don't think we need to have a page that has both on it.  I have been ok with the pharmers which has a section for originals and a section for covers and no list of all songs.  I guess that decision is up to everyone...

Along the same lines...  Setlists could be categorized under Video and/or SBDs and/or DNC where those pages would also become category pages.  It would take some of the work out of typing things and the category page could just contain the same data as the current page we made, but at the bottom, would be a nicely formatted list based on the category tag(s) at the bottom of a setlist.  Thoughts?

J

jephrey

I'll mention my progress too.  I got 5 more summer 1998 shows in so far today.  I'll definitely have 1998 complete by opening day and I hope to be able to enter a couple shows from each tour of all other years to get them started.  I didn't realize how much ass was being kicked on the 1990 page.  AWESOME.  I'm thinking of doing the tours for 2000 so we can have a year that is totally complete.

in any case!

J

tet

great, thanks!  i'm busier than i thought i would be these days, but still have some time to spend fixing up all the backend stuff for the wiki.  once that's all straightened out, i should have at least a little time to help with the data side of things.
-Phish

jephrey

and more progress...  I did another venue (radio station) and got the tours in for 2000.  Although I think we can change the underdog/hi5/grooves section to something more fitting for each tour, at least there's a placeholder.

J

jedifunk

Quote from: jephrey on November 30, 2006, 01:28:10 PM
Although I think we can change the underdog/hi5/grooves section to something more fitting for each tour, at least there's a placeholder.

J

what the hell are you talking about?  if you even so much as touch MY stuff, i'll talk shit about the wiki all over phantasytour!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio