News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mad Max: Fury Road

Started by cactusfan, March 31, 2015, 04:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty sweet, basically everything that a reboot should be; a bigger, badder and expanded version of the earlier movies. 

I don't think it was necessarily a better movie than Road Warrior though, and that's probably because it's a longer movie by nearly thirty minutes. For me, it's the lean, almost minimalist aesthetic that makes Road Warrior such a classic. And having nothing extra is a brilliant way to match the propulsive quality of a movie mainly about driving. 

It's not that I didn't like the additional elements of Fury Road, it just would have been nice if they were explained a little better. Was the deal with the nursing mothers exactly? And what about the War Boys what are they all about? At times I felt like I must have missed something because I never bothered with Beyond Thunderdome, but after reading reviews it seems like these were all new elements. 

Anyway, definitely a great action movie but I think it could have been even better if it had either been a little shorter or if the new stuff had been fleshed out a bit more.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 18, 2015, 01:25:29 PM
I also hadn't picked up on the orange/turquoise motif until you pointed it out, now of course I see it in every still. So thanks a lot!

heh.

if you really want to go insane, this is a good article on why all movies are blue and orange these days:

http://priceonomics.com/why-every-movie-looks-sort-of-orange-and-blue/

VDB

Yeah, I've read one or two pieces about that trend, including this one, I think. If you just look at one image or example, I guess you could say it's an interesting aesthetic, but when you realize how widespread it is, it's fairly obnoxious.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

it's pretty much the visual equivalent of the loudness wars. filmmakers want the image to 'pop,' so that's the direction they go. it's essentially a visual way to scream in your ears.

westcider

I saw this the other night and liked it a lot, but the dude with the guitar almost ruined it for me.

sunrisevt

Saw the film last night--it fucking OWNED. 
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mehead

I saw it last weekend.  I liked it but was a bit dissappointed. I loved the fact that there was minimal dialogue and tons of action, I felt some of it was repetitive and not enough gore for me.  Few things were not explained well and I wish there was a bit more focus on Max.  Maybe I went in with expectations too high.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.