News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

explain phish to a friend?

Started by AfterMidnight, April 01, 2009, 03:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfterMidnight

just about all my friends know that i'm a phish fan. they call it a "weird obsession". so last night i was trying to explain this "weird obsession" to someone and they just didn't get it. they didn't get understand trading shows, listening closely to certain parts of songs. maybe i wasn't explaining my self clearly. guess if your not in to it you just don't get it. does anyone else ever run in to this?

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: MarkDavidson on April 01, 2009, 03:14:30 PM
just about all my friends know that i'm a phish fan. they call it a "weird obsession". so last night i was trying to explain this "weird obsession" to someone and they just didn't get it. they didn't get understand trading shows, listening closely to certain parts of songs. maybe i wasn't explaining my self clearly. guess if your not in to it you just don't get it. does anyone else ever run in to this?

Yes, except the "friend" in question is my wife. 

She actually wants me to hook her up with a Gorge extra, I said she could come hang in the lot but she's not gonna ruin the show for me with her hatorade.   :evil:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Ri©h

While we're at it...  does anyone know how to explain color to a blind man? He insists he knows what it must be like but unless he sees it first hand he thinks that color may be overrated.

birdman

Quote from: Rich on April 01, 2009, 03:35:37 PM
While we're at it...  does anyone know how to explain color to a blind man? He insists he knows what it must be like but unless he sees it first hand he thinks that color may be overrated.

Paug FTMFW!

G. Augusto

Props on spelling friend correctly.

cactusfan

"it's like, picture the universe, you know? and it's all like exploding with swirling galaxies and supernovas and all this shit just going BOOM everywhere you look, only you're not even looking because your eyes are closed, but that's the thing, man, it's like, even though your eyes are totally shut, you can see all these colors and rainbows, only the rainbows are like moving at warp speed and they're screaming at you and you just totally fucking know your head's about to explode, but it doesn't explode, it, like, expands, man, it's like your whole fucking head is its own universe being born all around you and the screaming, it's not real screaming, it's the most magicalest music ever, it's like dream music, it's like you're flying in a dream only you're not dreaming, you're wide awake and the flying part is really the music and it's shooting right at you at a million miles an hour right out of trey's fucking eyeballs, man, like in that movie 'scanners' where all that lightning shoots out of that dude's eyes, the same dude who blew up that other dude's head, he's like trey and it's his guitar shooting out the lightning and he's going to blow up your fucking head and the whole fucking universe too, and it's just exactly like that at EVERY FUCKING SHOW, DUDE!"

that should work.

Ri©h

ytowndan

Quote from: cactusfan on April 01, 2009, 07:28:48 PM
"it's like, picture the universe, you know? and it's all like exploding with swirling galaxies and supernovas and all this shit just going BOOM everywhere you look, only you're not even looking because your eyes are closed, but that's the thing, man, it's like, even though your eyes are totally shut, you can see all these colors and rainbows, only the rainbows are like moving at warp speed and they're screaming at you and you just totally fucking know your head's about to explode, but it doesn't explode, it, like, expands, man, it's like your whole fucking head is its own universe being born all around you and the screaming, it's not real screaming, it's the most magicalest music ever, it's like dream music, it's like you're flying in a dream only you're not dreaming, you're wide awake and the flying part is really the music and it's shooting right at you at a million miles an hour right out of trey's fucking eyeballs, man, like in that movie 'scanners' where all that lightning shoots out of that dude's eyes, the same dude who blew up that other dude's head, he's like trey and it's his guitar shooting out the lightning and he's going to blow up your fucking head and the whole fucking universe too, and it's just exactly like that at EVERY FUCKING SHOW, DUDE!"

that should work.

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Poster Nutbag

Just feed them Acid and drag them to a show...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

sprobeck

Give him some LSD. Blind people can still get visuals! Just ask Stevie Wonder!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

Ri©h

Quote from: sprobeck on April 01, 2009, 07:42:26 PM

Give him some LSD. Blind people can still get visuals! Just ask Stevie Wonder!

Heh...  thanks sprobeck. My comment, however, was a joke. I always tell people that they should just go see the band play to understand what Phish is like. That way, if they don't get it or like it, all they've lost is the price of a ticket.

sprobeck

That's cool.  I think they gotta really want to learn what it's all about to be receptive to it.  Some people think that Phish is a closed society or something. It's not but it does take some stud to understand.  Not all the songs are about universal themes. 
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

Gumbo72203

funny...   i don't remember ever saying that
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

gah

that should work.

impressive.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.