News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

definitely an improvement so far.

anyone have experience with Senuti? My inital HD was small, so my ipod library is > itunes on my pc (I used to back up the files on dvd then delete). I want to put the entire thing back in one place and thinking that senuti might be a better / more efficient option than re-importing everything from dvd.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: slslbs on July 12, 2010, 11:23:59 AM
definitely an improvement so far.

anyone have experience with Senuti? My inital HD was small, so my ipod library is > itunes on my pc (I used to back up the files on dvd then delete). I want to put the entire thing back in one place and thinking that senuti might be a better / more efficient option than re-importing everything from dvd.

Yep, Senuti works fantastically for what you described.
Bring in the dude!

sls.stormyrider

thanks
this conversion is going much worse than I thought. I didn't know my ethernet port wasn't working. got most of the data over anyway.

now if I can only get my email accounts transferred properly....
can Mac read .pst files
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

thanks
I also found a 3rd party software called the little machine that should help with the pst >Mac

sls.stormyrider

My 1st one on one class is Monday, but till then-
when you d/l apps, like burn, etc, do you leave them on your desktop or copy into the applications folder.
VLC has a whole folder, with the VLC icon inside. what do you do with that?

from the Audacity page--
QuoteInside your Applications folder, create a folder called "Audacity"
Double-click the downloaded .dmg to mount it
Option-drag the whole of the .dmg contents (not the .dmg itself) into the "Audacity" folder you created
Double-click the Audacity icon inside the "Audacity" folder to launch the program

what do they mean by .dmg? I tried to put the Audacity 1.2.5 folder (what I got from the d/l) into the Audacity folder I created but couldn't.

thanks

edit-figured out what they meant at the audacity site and what to do with the VLC icon.

sls.stormyrider

you guys are probably sick of my questions already, but here's one more.
has anyone taken an ipod they used on a pc, restored it, and used it on a Mac? The Apple web site says that they don't "support" that because ipod for windows uses FAT 32. the guy in the store said it shouldn't be a problem, but I found out the hard way that they sometimes lie. I don't want to wipe out my entire ipod unless I'm relatively sure I can get it back.
:frustrated:

tet

the best thing to do is use Senuti to copy everything from the iPod to the Mac, then just click Restore in iTunes to format the iPod for Mac
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

Actually, got everything up and running. I transferred my old itunes from my accessory drive and dvds; it was easier to do than they told me. Got a fair # of applications d/l and have run most of my old hardware already (camera, printer, etc). The old ipod is being loaded, got a new one for my wife (free offer when purchasing with the educational discount  :rawk:), and I'm getting this thing figured out. The one on one class was good to learn some shortcuts and quick ways to do things.
Right now life is good.

Thanks for your help, +k to everyone on this thread
:-)

tet

cool, glad to hear.  One-to-One is great, lots of friends/family use it and rave about how useful it's been as recent "switchers". 

enjoy!!
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

me again - sorry boys and girls

anyone have any knowledge on reading multi session DVDs on Mac? I googled it and the prevailing comment is that Mac OS doesn't read them, despite the software.
anyone?

tet

might be the case- they never did well with multi-session CDs either back in the day...  no personal experience though, sorry.
-Phish

jephrey

Toast.  I thought I set it up in a burn folder in the past but I can't now.  Toast has it buried somewhere as an option.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

Well the top hit on my search returned this...  This sounds like it to me.  So you'll insert the disc in your drive and it'll look like X number of discs on your desktop(mac) when you mount it.  haha.

Drag the item or items you wish to burn into a folder.
Open Disk Copy (/Applications/Utilities/).
Drag the folder onto the Disk Copy window. The Image Folder dialog appears.
Choose a location for the image file using the Where pop-up menu. For simplicity, you may choose Desktop.
Click Save. Wait for the image to be finished.
Select Burn Image from the File menu. The image file should not be mounted.
In the navigation dialog that appears, select the image you just created, then click Burn. If you have not already inserted a blank disc, you will be prompted to do so now.
In the Burn Disc window, click the disclosure triangle.
Select the checkbox for "Allow additional burns".
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sls.stormyrider

what if you have a multi-session disc burned by another program, on a pc? can toast read them?