News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: StCarl on January 04, 2011, 05:17:53 PM
I think I've used xACT only once or twice in the last year and that was why.

Ditto.
Is this still Wombat?

zimbra

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 05, 2011, 11:02:03 AM
Quote from: StCarl on January 04, 2011, 05:17:53 PM
I think I've used xACT only once or twice in the last year and that was why.

Ditto.

xACT always crashes on me for some reason.  :?
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Pholy M. Pia

"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

Multibeast12

Just got the Snow Leopard upgrade. I am loving this shit. so many little things that make it a lot better and it freed up like 15 gigs worth of space.  :rawk: :rawk:

tet

have you checked out the latest xACT?  it now does FLAC > Apple Lossless i believe, as well as lossy AAC. i've never really used XLD.

oh, and i no longer use MacAmp Lite, but had for many many years... had all kinds of plugins and themes for it, and it really did kick ass but had a nasty memory leak bug which is why i moved over to Cog - just get the nightly version of Cog and you'll be all set, it does Flac & SHN pretty damn well.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

XLD has an option to automatically add the converted files to iTunes - I only have xACT installed to convert some early SHN files.

rowjimmy

Quote from: tet on February 14, 2011, 07:27:52 AM
have you checked out the latest xACT?  it now does FLAC > Apple Lossless i believe, as well as lossy AAC. i've never really used XLD.

oh, and i no longer use MacAmp Lite, but had for many many years... had all kinds of plugins and themes for it, and it really did kick ass but had a nasty memory leak bug which is why i moved over to Cog - just get the nightly version of Cog and you'll be all set, it does Flac & SHN pretty damn well.

Flac > ALAC?

I smell a win...

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 14, 2011, 12:14:24 PM
Quote from: tet on February 14, 2011, 07:27:52 AM

Flac > ALAC?

I smell a win...

Did this today... Psyched.

I smell more lossless audio going into my iTunes.

mattstick

XLD will encode FLAC > ALAC and import it into iTunes for you.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on February 19, 2011, 06:19:16 AM
XLD will encode FLAC > ALAC and import it into iTunes for you.

I'm fine doing the import myself.

I'm happy to hear other reasons that XLD might trump xACT, though.

mattstick

I like the one click option. I still have xACT around for old SHNs which XLD won't decode.

Multibeast12

must say i finally got around to putting on Snow Leopard, and this shit rocks. Love it.

and on the real conversation, i prefer xAct. I like how to can direct files to the place of origin. 

VDB

Quote from: mattstick on February 19, 2011, 07:48:52 AM
I like the one click option. I still have xACT around for old SHNs which XLD won't decode.

Same here. Drag the files onto the XLD icon in the dock and sit back.
Is this still Wombat?

jephrey

I've used XLD for ripping CDs to flac but that's about it.  XACT always had that fairly simple UI.  Still does and now the ability to go straight to ALAC (even for 24bit files), I don't see a need for anything else.  To me XLD may be more professional, but in the end they both perform the same task.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.