News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellerb

Quote from: zimbra on May 10, 2011, 01:57:10 AM
My MacBook has recently been slowing down.  In my house my mac is the only laptop that connects wirelessly so between 2 other room-mates and Lifeboy who has been crashed on my couch for a little over 2 weeks until he gets back on his feet(wook, jk) it is the only computer.  I am completely fine with sharing my computer with everybody, they both have been life long friends of mine and adhere to my 'no download' policy.  Recently though I have been experiencing a bit of delay in my machine and questionable behavior.  Can anybody recommend any malware/spyware defense and/or an anti-virus? 

Thanks,

Jackson

Use Pie-guy's guest policy on Lifeboy, that should fix your problem.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: kellerb on May 10, 2011, 10:43:52 AM
My MacBook has recently been slowing down.  In my house my mac is the only laptop that connects wirelessly so between 2 other room-mates and Lifeboy who has been crashed on my couch for a little over 2 weeks until he gets back on his feet(wook, jk) it is the only computer.  I am completely fine with sharing my computer with everybody, they both have been life long friends of mine and adhere to my 'no download' policy.  Recently though I have been experiencing a bit of delay in my machine and questionable behavior.  Can anybody recommend any malware/spyware defense and/or an anti-virus? 

Thanks,

Jackson

There are two ways to approach this.

1. you can stay at my house any night as long as you either looked for a job or another place to live during that day.
2. you can rent a room at my house whenever you need. The first month's rent will be $500, the second month will be $5000.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Thanks,

Jackson

haven't tried this myself yet, but read about it

http://www.iantivirus.com/
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

zimbra

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 10, 2011, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: kellerb on May 10, 2011, 10:43:52 AM

Thanks,

Jackson

There are two ways to approach this.

1. you can stay at my house any night as long as you either looked for a job or another place to live during that day.
2. you can rent a room at my house whenever you need. The first month's rent will be $500, the second month will be $5000.
:-D

He was just in the transition between jobs, he moved into his new apartment today.  But the Mac still needs fixing.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

zimbra

Quote from: slslbs on May 10, 2011, 01:05:05 PM

Thanks,

Jackson

haven't tried this myself yet, but read about it

http://www.iantivirus.com/

What have you heard about it?  I did a little research today and it seems somewhat legit, I just hate to spend $30 when I don't need to.  I also can't find anything on the system requirements for it, I have little room left on my HD and don't want to be running a program with a large impact on my system.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Your HD space maybe related to your speed problem. I keep my MacBook drive as empty as possible.

zimbra

Quote from: mattstick on May 10, 2011, 08:48:07 PM
Your HD space maybe related to your speed problem. I keep my MacBook drive as empty as possible.

That is what I have been thinking lately, I have been putting off doing something about it for a few weeks now.
- Trey Anastasio

whatapiper

The HD on my Mac holds 300 gig and if I bring it down to anything close to 50 gigs of free space it starts getting very slow even with 4 gb ram.  I spent some time last night cleaning up to get it closer to 100 gb free and it improved drastically.   

Anyone try the Mackeeper 15 day free trial?  If free I would use again

Anyone wanting a virus scan should give that a try
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Multibeast12

Quote from: whatapiper on May 10, 2011, 09:46:48 PM
The HD on my Mac holds 300 gig and if I bring it down to anything close to 50 gigs of free space it starts getting very slow even with 4 gb ram.  I spent some time last night cleaning up to get it closer to 100 gb free and it improved drastically.   

Anyone try the Mackeeper 15 day free trial?  If free I would use again

Anyone wanting a virus scan should give that a try
So would you recommend the free trail? Nothing to shady about it?

also just decided to use Google Chrome. Wow, easily the best mac browser.

runawayjimbo

So, late last year I finally broke down and got an iMac and haven't looked back. I love everything about it, but lately I've noticed some pretty severe performance issues on both browsers (Safari and Chrome). I don't think it's my modem/router settings because the wifi is still working fine. Torrents are still up/downloading quickly but if I download from megaupload or sendspace or whatever it takes a while. Any ideas on how to address this? Do you guys use MacKeeper or anything like that? Any other tips that might help? Thanks in advance, from MacN00b.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

tet

Quote from: runawayjimbo on August 02, 2011, 09:19:10 AM
So, late last year I finally broke down and got an iMac and haven't looked back. I love everything about it, but lately I've noticed some pretty severe performance issues on both browsers (Safari and Chrome). I don't think it's my modem/router settings because the wifi is still working fine. Torrents are still up/downloading quickly but if I download from megaupload or sendspace or whatever it takes a while. Any ideas on how to address this? Do you guys use MacKeeper or anything like that? Any other tips that might help? Thanks in advance, from MacN00b.

how are you doing on disk space?  to keep OS X running at its peak, they recommend keeping 10-15% of your drive's total space empty, so swap files and the like have room to work.  if you have less than that, you're going to see significant performance hits.

also, i find that running an app like DiskWarrior (not free) can fix up some issues with your hard drive that will also significantly help speed things up. 

you can also check out Onyx, which is free and can clear your cache and other system settings that may give you a boost.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

runawayjimbo

Quote from: tet on August 02, 2011, 09:36:07 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on August 02, 2011, 09:19:10 AM

how are you doing on disk space?  to keep OS X running at its peak, they recommend keeping 10-15% of your drive's total space empty, so swap files and the like have room to work.  if you have less than that, you're going to see significant performance hits.

also, i find that running an app like DiskWarrior (not free) can fix up some issues with your hard drive that will also significantly help speed things up. 

you can also check out Onyx, which is free and can clear your cache and other system settings that may give you a boost.

Thanks. I'll take a look when I get home but last time I checked I think was only using ~300MB on a 1TB. I keep all my music on externals so most of that is pictures and videos. But it's been a while so I'll check it out tonight.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sls.stormyrider

found this tonight

joins tracks in itunes, doesn't require ripping from cd. works well. you will also need to d/l quicktime 7.
there are some issues with lion

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/jointogether.php

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

Sold my 08 MBP for $500, and buying a Mac Mini this morning... Stoked.

mattstick