News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

If you get the iMac, can you use the built-in monitor as a monitor for another laptop?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

PIE-GUY

That's an awfully big and nice display to live and die with the computer it houses. 

VDB

I think you can do it, but sounds like maybe the iMac needs to be functioning, which wouldn't help in the scenario PG describes.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on April 16, 2012, 06:05:57 PM
I think you can do it, but sounds like maybe the iMac needs to be functioning, which wouldn't help in the scenario PG describes.

That actually could work - but I'd still rather an external display and a KVM switch between my work computer and my mac.

VDB

Yeah, I meant it wouldn't be helpful for extending the life of an irreparably busted iMac that still has a functioning display. Might be outta luck in such a scenario.
Is this still Wombat?

whatapiper

Any suggestions for connecting to a receiver? My receiver is probably 20 years old to keep in mind...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

mattstick

whatapiper

Quote from: mattstick on January 10, 2013, 05:59:38 AM
AppleTV > Airplay

May need to jump on it, seems worth it just to get audio from the desktop through a receiver. A $4.99 cable would be nice too...
beginning to end
we belong

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: whatapiper on January 10, 2013, 09:29:00 PM
AppleTV > Airplay

May need to jump on it, seems worth it just to get audio from the desktop through a receiver. A $4.99 cable would be nice too...
that would work fine if you don't need to be wireless.

the downside is that all the sounds you computer makes (the whoosh from sent emails) gets sent over your speakers.
I hooked up aiprort express to my receiver and use airplay (when not in itunes) to get the music over.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

whatapiper

Quote from: slslbs on January 11, 2013, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on January 10, 2013, 09:29:00 PM
AppleTV > Airplay

that would work fine if you don't need to be wireless.

the downside is that all the sounds you computer makes (the whoosh from sent emails) gets sent over your speakers.
I hooked up aiprort express to my receiver and use airplay (when not in itunes) to get the music over.

Thanks, I've been wanting to get airport express for a whole now, same price as Apple TV however.  Can Apple TV be used as a wifi hub like airport?
beginning to end
we belong

mattstick

Yes, but it only has digi out and hdmi for audio, airport has 1/8".

You could buy a RaspberryPi and set up XBMC to make it an Airplay device for ~ $40. It has an 1/8" output, but I haven't figured out how to set it up wirelessly.

Hicks

Quote from: whatapiper on January 10, 2013, 03:05:44 AM
Any suggestions for connecting to a receiver? My receiver is probably 20 years old to keep in mind...

You know you can use that Zona send unit to connect to your receiver, you just need a corresponding receive unit connected to any line level input.

Hit me up if you want one, probably around $50. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.