News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mac Tablet!!! ~ iPad Thread

Started by rowjimmy, July 28, 2009, 12:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

So, what's this thing called, anyways?

"The New iPad"? "The iPad 3"? "The iPad without a name"?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

VDB

Maybe they realized this will be such a mainstay offering that they'll want to refresh it from time to time, as with their other computers, so giving each iteration a new name would grow tiresome. Maybe this is model identifier iPad3,1.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

the Apple care seemed like a no brainer when I bought my MB, but at $99.00 for an ipad, it doesn't seem worth it.
thoughts?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

postjack

Quote from: slslbs on March 08, 2012, 03:35:58 PM
the Apple care seemed like a no brainer when I bought my MB, but at $99.00 for an ipad, it doesn't seem worth it.
thoughts?

probably not worth it, less moving parts and all that. definitely not worth it if you're on a yearly upgrade path.

but I plan on keeping this iPad for two years, so I bought it. what was once just a toy is now a huge part of school for me, since I take my notes on pages and use the kindle app for textbooks.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

PIE-GUY

I got a squaretrade warranty on mine - covers damage, too, unlike applecare, and it's $89 for 2 years...

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-landing?ccode=bs_war_vc_090:homepageipad
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sMILEy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 08, 2012, 09:48:17 PM
I got a squaretrade warranty on mine - covers damage, too, unlike applecare, and it's $89 for 2 years...

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-landing?ccode=bs_war_vc_090:homepageipad

I don't understand how they can cover all damages including water..
For only 90$ for 2 years, seems like one hell of a good deal!!!

Caravan2001

Anybody want to buy an iPad1, 32gb, 3G?  No issues, works perfect..

antelope19

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 09, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

How much?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Caravan2001

Quote from: antelope19 on March 09, 2012, 11:06:44 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 09, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

How much?

They're pretty much @ $300 on eBay right now.  I would hook someone on the paug (someone I know on the paug, not a random) for $250....Shit cost me $700...pm me if interested, not trying to derail this thread.....

rowjimmy

http://gizmodo.com/5892655/one-ios-icon-is-larger-than-the-entire-original-macintosh-screen

QuoteOne iOS Icon Is Larger Than The Entire Original Macintosh Screen
Here are some numbers to blow your mind: The original Macintosh, released in 1984, had a monochrome 512 × 342 pixel display. That was 175,104 points. Today, the icons on iOS are 512 x 512 pixels, drawn from a 16.7 million color palette plus 256 levels of transparency.

28 years ago, a monochrome icon on the Mac was 16 x 16 pixels. It only took 32 bytes of memory. Compare to the 512 x 512 pixels of each iOS' icon. It takes four times the total video memory of the original Mac to represent a single icon in iOS at full size. Of course, iOS' icons are not shown on screen at that size. They are much smaller. Eventually, however, you can be sure that there will be displays that would require that insane pixel density.

What is remarkable is that the absolute size of the icons remains more or less the same. It's an amazing increase in the density of information required to represent the exact same object with the exact same meaning. Eye candy is expensive.

(go to their site for more text and examples)

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Quote from: slslbs on March 16, 2012, 12:49:26 PM
the new ipad is here!!!
64G

Nice.  Got a 32/4G here...about to crack it open!

JPhishman

Just got mine. 32GB/Wifi. Been holding out for third generation and I'm pretty damn pleased with this thing.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

sls.stormyrider

I must say, the image display is amazing

Caravan2001

Quote from: slslbs on March 17, 2012, 09:28:24 AM
I must say, the image display is amazing

Yeah, the display is really what you notice first.  It's spectacular.  I am upgrading from a iPad 1 so I am really psyched with the whole thing.  Besides the display, not sure how much of a leap it is from the 2, but the colors on this thing are insane.

They must have sold a shit ton of these things, my UPS driver said every single truck in Portland had a box of 20-30 of these to deliver.