News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: slslbs on January 17, 2018, 07:41:52 PM
I'll weigh in too

Agree, 1 or 2 extra miles if you feel good is fine, no more

Run the long runs slower than race pace

How many 20's?. Most of the time I ran 2. A 20 and a 22 or something like that. 5 is too many.
My "plan" was similar to Augs except that I don't have time to run an >6m mid week so I improvised. I would run 4 days total and go to the gym 1 - 2 days. Weekday runs were usually 4 - 6 with tempos / intervals once a week. My goal time for my 1st was  4hr (9 min pace). I ran it in 4:07, finished strong at a good pace and felt like I could run another mile after I was done so I was quite happy.  If I was going to do another and not care about time I would do the same thing.

Expect to have some aches/pains while training. You'll figure out what is normal for you and what is not.

Find out what your race will be having re drinks / gels and experiment with that. If you don't like it, just find something you do like and bring it yourself.

get well soon Aug!!

Yeah, the aches and pains...I'm learning to just listen to my body and realize when maybe I should skip a day or when it's ok to push through.

As for drinks/gels...they'll have water, gatorade, and GU gels...I haven't used GU gels yet, but I'm gonna grab some to see how I do with them. I've been using Glukos (see link below), just cause i found them at a race once and got hooked on their gummies, which are pretty good. They also have these tablets which you could drop in a water bottle, but I found they don't really break apart, so I just used them as a chewable tablet, which they said was ok to do to, but didn't like it too much. Was way too sweet and left me really thirsty. And they have these "gels" but they're really just liquid pouches, like gatorade, which I've liked because they quench my thirst since I haven't been carrying water on my long runs. Usually down them around the 6, 10, and 14 mile marks right now...

Anyhow, I'm still experimenting with all that. What I need to do is get some sort of water thing going, either those hand helds, or the waist packs, or something. I've run all over town at this point, and we don't have ANY water fountains...like none. Last time I just told my buddy I was gonna be running by his house in about an hour, and was gonna stop real quick for a water, so that worked out, but I can't do that all the time. Any suggestions? Also, how often should I be taking in calories/gels/gu's? Any ones you guys likes in particular?

https://www.glukosenergy.com/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

I would highly recommend getting a handheld (~20oz.) with a good size pouch for gels.
I've been using Tailwind as my main nutrition for long runs/races.
https://www.tailwindnutrition.com

Each scoop is generally good for an hour. So two scoops in a bottle and a few gels and I'm good.
During LRs when it's crazy hot out, I'll try and hit up a gas station or something for a quart of Gatorade and refill.
Sometimes some pretzels or Fritos, too!

As for Gu, I'm pretty much set on Salted Watermrlon.
The Rocktane is kind of weird tasting.

Definitely start experimenting soon!

sls.stormyrider

For my long runs (> 16M) I used to drive the course ahead of time and put water bottles out. It was a PIA.
I got one of those belts with 8 oz containers, much more conveniant

If you're gonna do Gatorade, 1 glass every water stop (usually 2 miles). Find out what flavor they will have to make sure you can stomach it. I have no problem with it, but some people do.

I forget the timing for gels, but you can look the carb content compared to 8oz of gatorade and do the same.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Cool, just ordered a sampler stick pack from Tailwind. It comes with 7 stick packs in a variety of flavors, including a couple of the caffeinated ones. Says they're 200 cal's per pack, each pack to be mixed with 20-40 oz water.

As for the handheld, I guess it'll just be a matter of getting used to carrying it? That's the one thing I've been hesitant about, and was leaning more towards the waistpacks...but then I feel like that'd be uncomfortable too. I might just ended up buying both and seeing which works out better. But yeah, going with no water on 10+ miles kinda sucks. I've just been trying to be good about constantly staying hydrated and drinking a lot more water throughout the day, which I guess is good for you anyway.

It's funny you mentioned pretzels and fritos, cause I find I think about eating a lot when I'm running  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard Like imagining what I'm gonna eat after this fucking long run! I've been taking in a lot more calories per day this last month especially, that's for damn sure. Taking a few bucks with me though is probably a good idea to hit up a gas station, didn't think of that.

sls.stormyrider

take tp also...

and remember - lubricate
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

August

Yep!! 😂
Body Glide and band aids are essential!
I use Band Aid spots pretty much for every run after learning the hard way (100x) about bloody nips.
Body Glide btwn the legs and around the waistband will help with chaffing.

Personally, I knew the belt wasn't for me about 3min into a LR. First and last time I used it.  :-D
Honestly, the handheld has saved me on some trail runs when I took a spill and it kind of softened the landing.

Gu is generally every 45min but I generally take them at 10, 15, 19, 23

aphineday

I love that we are getting into gel/race fuel talks, as I'm just getting back into the game, and a lot has changed since I was running any decent amount.
I have run/worked out every day for the last 7 days (alternating some strength and interval work every other day). I don't feel TOO sore, but also feel like a day off is probably warranted so I don't burn out or injure anything. Again, I realize I'm not even close to you studs rocking major miles, but I'm certainly feeling damn good about myself.
Back to the nutrition and gel talk, when I was running before I was really in to Hammer products. They are primarily biking, but some of their nutrition is next level. They make tons of supplements, many of which I have no experience with because I think some of that is hype for sure. I will say that the Race Caps Supreme and Premium Insurance Caps (Daily Multi) are pretty good stuff. I do not really ever take any of the energy boost stuff, because I hate artificially jacking my heart rate etc. with anything other than good ole' caffeine.
Before I pull the trigger on their supplement package, I'm open to any other suggestions you all might have. I'm going to do a little comparison with the GU gels and the Hammer gels just to see which does better with me, but I don't really get into those until I'm logging longer runs than I am now, so when the time is right, I'll give that a go.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

August

Hammer/Heed/Clif/Energy Labs are essentially all the same products just marketed differently.
There's been a few races I've ran where there was only Heed at aid stations instead of Gatorade.
No biggy, but if you're used to supplementing with Gatorade on course, it's a little weird.

As for Hammer, I have little experience with them other than their salt caps (which I don't really need).
Most local shops stock all this stuff, so you might wanna mix and match before you go all in with any particular brand.

I will say that I love Cliff Blox, which are big chews, but they're  just too bulky to carry around on a run.

gah

As for the tp, yeah, learned that one Sunday morning on a trail run, where I had to run into the woods for an emergency situation. Luckily, for some random reason, I had picked up a trail map that day which I normally don't do, but was trying some different routes and thought it's be helpful to have just in case I got lost. Came in useful, just not in the way I thought.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I actually haven't had any issue with the bloody nips (yet), but I do remember that happening many years ago. But maybe it's just the new material that workout/running clothes are made of? I dunno, I'll def keep it in mind. As for the body glide, hadn't picked that up yet, have been pretty good with the in between the legs chaffing (just lucky so far, maybe?), but I did have some issues around the waistband, and didn't even think about applying it there, but I will now.

I don't know anything about the hammer/heed stuff, so I can't comment. But I was wondering about taking a cliff bar out with me for a run, since I use them all the time with hiking, but was thinking it might be too much, to carry, and in my stomach with running vs. hiking...

Anyhow, I'm just stoked to have you guys as a resource to bounce stuff off of. Big time thanks.

aphineday

Being the resident fatty runner, I can shed a little light on what I do for the nipple chaffing issues. It's DEFINITELY an issue for me, so I immediately started wearing compression. I'm a Nike slut, but UA makes quality as well. I usually buy a size down just to keep it tight, but if the compression doesn't bother you, it definitely keeps chaffing issues at bay.

ETA: Here's a couple pictures of my progress. If you're on my facebook, you've seen it, but I'm pretty damn proud of where I've made it even this far, so I'm totally not above posting it again haha.

The first is me on the infamous grassy knoll in Dallas - Initial Type Rating school, January of 2016. I would go on to gain another 8lbs after this picture.

The second is Monday after my workout.

August

Nice!
So would you wear two shirts in hot weather, tho?

aphineday

Quote from: August on January 20, 2018, 03:17:56 PM
Nice!
So would you wear two shirts in hot weather, tho?
It really doesn't bother me at all. I just make sure that the outer layer is plenty wicking (I like the little air holes personally), and it almost provides a cooling layer. That's just me though.

Also, apparently I need a tutorial on how to resize a picture to post on the board here haha.

August

That's amazing progress, man!
Keep running!
When you have a long term running goal and you keep nailing your miles, your body  just becomes a furnace and you're constantly gonna be melting more and more off. Be happy with how far you've come and be excited about what has yet to be uncovered!
Great job!

August

Mileage is king. You'll build mental strength while nailing down your LRs and your short runs, too.
The old running saying is "It doesn't get easier, you just get stronger." and that is the absolute truth.

The weight comes right off just like pace.
I was 255 on the first day I decided to run.
I couldn't run half of a mile. I gave up. I gave up again and again over the next two weeks but I kept at it.
Fast forward to today and running is one of the most important and rewarding aspects of my life.

Here I am right before I made the decision to change my lifestyle

And this is me after I finished my first 50K race

I'm still "big", but it doesn't affect my ability.
This is what the top 200 pounders on LI look like ;)

Just as fast (and way faster) than the skinny guys.
Keep your head clear and positive, man.

aphineday

That's power, man.
Thanks for sharing that, it keeps me moving forward.
Today I have felt really kind of out of it... maybe a little virus or something - either way, it was going to be a day off for me anyway, but I'm feeling better now, and hopefully will get right back on the horse tomorrow.
My mileage is increasing, and I DEFINITELY get the "it doesn't get easier, you just get stronger" thing.
I never thought I'd be at 5K distance by this time of the year... but I just keep pushing.
Let's do it!