News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

And 35° at the start is primo. That's like ideal temps you got!
Might wanna bring a schwaggy sweatshirt, hats and gloves to keep you warm before the start that you can toss either as you start or a mile or so in. Most big city races collect the clothing and donate them to local shelters.

gah

Quote from: August on March 15, 2018, 04:59:39 PM
And 35° at the start is primo. That's like ideal temps you got!
Might wanna bring a schwaggy sweatshirt, hats and gloves to keep you warm before the start that you can toss either as you start or a mile or so in. Most big city races collect the clothing and donate them to local shelters.

Yeah, they're gonna do the bag check trucks lined up near the start...ever done that? Seems easy enough, except everyone might try and do that at the very last second and so maybe they'll be lines? I dunno, maybe I'll just toss them. Yeah, cause I'll be out there for an hour and a half or two before the start, gonna need some extra layers while waiting...ok, yeah, need to figure that out too.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

Anyone run any Marathons this weekend?

gah

Quote from: August on March 19, 2018, 01:44:19 PM
Anyone run any Marathons this weekend?

HA! So yeah, so much respect for this mileage. Humbled by it. Started out fresh, feeling good, but tried to stay purposefully slow, and was doing the run/walk thing with my sister and her boyfriend (who were doing the half), about 30 mins in, started doing my own thing. I had to pee like 3 times before the race, and once again around 3 miles, so like a moron, I thought I must be pretty well hydrated and skipped the first 3-4 water/gatorade breaks...bad move! Half way through, and I'm still feeling good tho, met up with my folks and girlfriend, stopped to get something out of my shoes that had been bugging me for a mile, grabbed a couple gels, and my phone and headphones, and off I went...now second half, I've turned onto the boadwalk, the sun is shining, the beach is to my left, and and I'm blasting some 97/98 phish funk, and feeling really good...checking my times, I'm thinking, I might actually be able to make that 5 hour mark I had wanted, but not sweating it, just surprised I'm still feeling that...mile 17 or 18, I'm in this out and back area, and I see the 5 hour pacers going back the other way, and realize I'm only a few minutes behind them, and I tell them, I'm gonna catch up with you guys here shortly, and they yell back, good luck, and nice, we'll see you shortly then...

And then...I look over and there's some chick puking on the side of the road, and I'm like, whoa, that sucks...a few mins later, all of a sudden I feel my right hamstring start cramping, and I'm like, that's ok, let me just slow it down a bit...but next thing you know, 5 mins later it's my left calf, then 10 mins later my left hamstring, then 10 mins later the muscles on the inside of my thighs, first my left, then my right...and every time I'm having to stop and stretch and massage out the muscle going out on me, and I slowly, watch that 5 hour mark fade, so every water break I come to now I'm downing 2-3 gatorades and a water, but it's too late to catch up to whats happening in my legs now....So then it just got to be about doing my best, and digging deep, and saying pain is temporary, and just pushing it on cramping legs....mile 25 was my favorite, because that's when I turned back to the beach and there was crowds and people still out there encouraging runners on, and I saw my folks again, and then my sister jumped back in and started running with me, and then her boyfriend, and then my girlfriend, and about a half mile of that I thanked them, and they dropped off and went around the boardwalk to the finish, and I did another .5 turned onto the boardwalk, and saw the finish line .2 miles away and just pushed it.

So, my watch, the official time, and strava all varied by a bit, but I finished in 5:18, and a 12:01 pace, and I'm totally happy about it. My hamstrings and whatever those inner thigh muscles are called are pretty sore today, those were the two muscle groups that were cramping the worst. But I figure it'll take a few days to get back to normal.

Final thoughts: A marathon is not a race at all. It's a fucking journey. So much can happen, physically and mentally, in that time, so much can go wrong, and so quickly too. You really need a solid strategy and have a sharp mental focus and stay IN IT the whole time....so different than running a 5K, 10K, or half...but I feel like I learned a lot, and even when it was falling apart at the end, I was thinking, ok, what lessons can I take from this experience for next time (hydrate often and early, don't listen to phish - too distracting causing me to disassociate from the experience, stay mentally focused, check in with yourself physically periodically, watch your pacing, and figure out how to practice even pacing, etc...)...I read somewhere the last 6 miles is the real 2nd half of the race, and it totally makes sense now. That first 20 is just like what you do to get to the start of a 10K, and that's where it all actually takes place.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement on here. Super appreciative, and all of it came into play.

August

Epic!
You did it and now you're a Marathoner!

You're right about taking a physical inventory.
I generally do that at 13 and any time negative thoughts start creeping in.
Just a "What actually hurts now that will alter this race?" and most of the time the answer is NOTHING.
26.2M is a long distance. There's a lot to learn btwn the start and finish in so many ways.

Congrats again!
You'll easily be sub-5 this Fall ;)

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

gah

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 19, 2018, 02:58:57 PM
Nice work GAH.  :clap:

Quote from: mbw on March 19, 2018, 03:49:52 PM
Congrats dude!

Thanks guys!  :rawk:

Quote from: August on March 19, 2018, 02:53:50 PM
Epic!
You did it and now you're a Marathoner!

You're right about taking a physical inventory.
I generally do that at 13 and any time negative thoughts start creeping in.
Just a "What actually hurts now that will alter this race?" and most of the time the answer is NOTHING.
26.2M is a long distance. There's a lot to learn btwn the start and finish in so many ways.

Congrats again!
You'll easily be sub-5 this Fall ;)

Thanks man, yeah, def taking a hard look at Richmond in November. They might've sold me on the website today with the pickle juice stop at mile 23, which is apparently supposed to help with muscle cramping, ha!

As for the checking in mentally, so one of the things that got me was, in all my training runs, I hadn't cramped up once....and all of a sudden I could tell that was about to happen, and I didn't know what to do, but slow down. That's what got me. Like when my inner thigh muscles cramped, I didn't even really know what stretches to do to handle it. So stretching more is going to be essential moving forward, but also figuring out what to do with each muscle group depending on what's starting to happen. Ideally, like you said, most of the time I won't experience anything, and it'll be cool, but all my strategies and ideas on how I was going to handle that last 6 miles went out the window, and I shifted to like "just finish any way you can" mode.

Sometimes "it takes all you got just to stay on the beat." (side note: I also listened to the barton hall scarlet > fire after the phish mix, both for the lyrics to fire on the mountain, and the fact that it's my birthday song, debuted on 3/18/77...helluva way to celebrate a birthday, running a marathon  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard )

August

Happy Birthday!!
Sounds like a freakin' party to me!!!

Stretching/rolling to aid recovery will take you to the next level.
Bad news tho, if you're in pain today...tomorrow will be worse!! 😬
Then you're on your way!

As for inner thigh/hip flexor stiffness, just sitting and forming a diamond shape with your feet in front of you will help open you up. You can try and pull your feet in gradually as an advanced stretch, but just sitting like that for 10min intervals will get you loose. In a few days, you'll feel good again but this is a good sign that your body lacks attention in that muscle group, so I would suggest trying to target that area a few times during the week during your next training cycle. Stretching blows, but it's crucial.

You've seen my training and I'm big on "active" recovery.
Just trying to get out there quickly after a race or LR.
That's something you'll get to and is actually rather benificial in healing, believe it or not.

You're doing great. Don't lose your base.
You're at a mint place right now.
Eye a half, 10K or any race during the Spring to keep you plugging away.

This is just the beginning, man!

sls.stormyrider

Congrats, you did it
:rawk:

I've cramped up twice during marathons, never during training. Once it was super hot out and I picked up my pace too fast way to early, the other was just a bad day.

yes, it's a journey, and so much shit can happen.
Relax, enjoy, walk, stretch
your'e a marathoner
:clap:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Proud of you, kid! Can't wait to see you chow down a well-earned Cochon de Lait!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

thanks sls! Good to know that the cramping during the race and not during training has happened to more advanced runners like yourself.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 19, 2018, 06:51:09 PM
Proud of you, kid! Can't wait to see you chow down a well-earned Cochon de Lait!

damn straight! some po boys are def called for. Also, stay safe down there in Austin, it's some crazy shit happening these days.

thanks Aug for the stretch, and recovery advice. It's kind of tough, reading all these different articles on how to handle this week, and sometimes there's conflicting/opposing advice...like the active recovery (go out for a jog as early as 48 hours after) vs. rest (for up to 26 days - a mile per day?!?!)...but I'm just gonna listen to my body...obviously, my goal is to get out for some light runs as soon as I feel up for it. Anyhow, you'll see me up on strava soon....

Caravan2001

Congrats GAH and everyone else.  I've been out of this thread since January and have been struggling with my fitness as well (even though I am not a runner).  Stoked to see all the great stuff going on in here.  The last year has been really up and down for me motivation-wise and I have had the usual kids/work/personal junk that I have been blaming for "lack of time" but I feel like I have turned a corner and I am stoked on it.  This winter has been especially rough for me because last year I got this weird affliction (syndrome lol) called Renaud's Syndrome and basically if I am outside for any length of tiem when it is under 50 degrees, I lose all the circulation in my toes and fingers (mostly my fingers) and all the blood leaves them and they turn bright white and look dead and it freaking hurts.  Don't google it unless you want to ralph.  So even though I have the proper gear, I've been kind of blaming my lack of motivation on that and it is such a Catch-22 because once you lose fitness it becomes even harder to motivate yourself.  Anyway, I've sort of turned a mental corner and the weather here is warming up and I am back in the garage on the trainer so pumped to have a great spring/summer and happy to have you guys for motivation.  Made some changes to my schedule so I can join my team rides again and finally get back to being fit.  Stopped drinking too in an effort to speed up some weight loss.  I need to lose 10, goal would be 15lbs.

As far as nutrition, I know biking is a little different but my team is sponsored by Nuun for hydration stuff which I really recommend. It's the best: https://nuunlife.com  Last year we were sponsored by Honey Stinger and their gels are organic so I switched from Gu to Honey Stinger but taste-wise and performance wise they're really similar.  Since Honey Stinger pulled their sponsorship this year, I might go back to Gu but I like the organic factor.  In an endurance event (4+ hours), you really need to switch it up though so the Clif Blocks are nice or anything you can chew.  It's different on a bike though because I have pockets so it's not like a runner is going to bring a cliff bar or solid food.  The Honey Stinger waffles are dope though.

FWIW, bike gear is different than running clothes and has different  considerations, but all of my bike stuff goes in the wash separately in Hand Wash mode and then I drip dry.  Nothing kills bike kit more quickly than the dryer.

I'm 900 miles behind my goal of 4500 miles this year so it's gonna be a tough one to hit but I'm gonna try.  I think I have only ridden 11 times this year, but should be back to 4 times a week now that I've got my head on straight.

sunrisevt

I've haven't been getting many miles in this winter, but my daughter joined a running club through her elementary school and I join her on her after school workouts when I see her Tuesdays (today, eg.).

My heart rate doesn't get up where I like, jogging at a 4-foot, 10 year-old's pace, but goddamn is it satisfying to be out in the early spring air with her.

Now I'm smiling just anticipating this afternoon.

Also, I'm hoping for a renewal of the Runaway Jim 5k at Curveball. That was some fun shit.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 03, 2018, 12:17:09 AM
This winter has been especially rough for me because last year I got this weird affliction (syndrome lol) called Renaud's Syndrome and basically if I am outside for any length of tiem when it is under 50 degrees, I lose all the circulation in my toes and fingers (mostly my fingers) and all the blood leaves them and they turn bright white and look dead and it freaking hurts.  Don't google it unless you want to ralph. 

This really sucks,so no trips to the mountains either?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.