News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Lahey Oncology 5K today
21:34. (6:58)

And raised some $ for a good cause
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Quote from: slslbs on June 23, 2018, 09:44:41 AM
Lahey Oncology 5K today
21:34. (6:58)

And raised some $ for a good cause

:beers:

August

Crankin'!
Great work all around!

August

Pacing the 4 hour group this Sunday at the Suffolk Marathon!
SO STOKED to help others achieve their goals!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: August on October 22, 2018, 04:32:34 PM

I think I know what this means but can you explain?

How do you know what the right pace is? Do you try and stay just ahead of that group to push them?
Bring in the dude!

gah

Solid!  :clap:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

August

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 22, 2018, 04:46:18 PM

I think I know what this means but can you explain?

How do you know what the right pace is? Do you try and stay just ahead of that group to push them?

Pretty much! A lot of big races and most marathons offer pace groups.
The "Pace Leader" will generally hold a sign with the goal time in it or wear something that identifies them as a pacer. I'll have a sign before the start so those looking to run 4 hours can hang out around me and ask questions or whatever. The goal is really to "break" the goal time by a little bit or to get in just under the goal time. I'll get my group in right around 3:59.30.
Pacers need to have experience pacing or show consistency in their training in order to get the job.
This particular course is petty flat, so I'll just be clicking off 9:08s all day long.
It's fun. I've ran with pacers and paced my friend last year to her first Boston Qualifying time.
The 4 hour group is always the largest, so I am a tad nervous. Not in my ability, but just having 100+ runners rely on me to break 4 or to finish their first marathon!
It's gonna be a great experience all around!

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

August

So I did a short race review after pacing 2 weeks ago on FB/IG.
Such an amazing experience! Far better than any PR or personal race accomplishment.

QuoteWell, yesterday's experience pacing the 4 hour group at the Suffolk County Marathon and Freedom Fest was both rewarding and unforgettable. Linked up with new friend Matthew, we had a very committed group that ran nice and relaxed with us. Most were running their very first Marathon and I knew early on that we had A LOT of runners that were definitely hitting their goal. I was wrong, though. At around 17 miles, a few of our women athletes slowly pushed forward. By 19, they were out of our sight. Around this same time, a few of our men from the group made a solid surge. By 23, they were long gone. The group we had at 13.1 ALL ran well below 4 hours and ALL negative split their second half! So many impressive times (3:54, 3:54, 3:56, 3:57 to name a few) and ALL placed in their divisions! So proud of all of their efforts! It was truly a pleasure to take the individuality out of racing for the day and focus solely on others' goals. Thank you for this opportunity, Greater Long Island Running Club.

Official time - 3:59.28

gah

:clap:

Dude, the consistency that you held through all those miles blows me away. Such disciplined running. Big ups on being of service and giving back to what has given you so much, and for helping others achieve their goals. Hope you get more opportunities like it in the future.  :rawk:

August

Thanks, man! I can't wait to pace again, hopefully at an even larger event.
That faster split was when I ran up to use a porta real quick  :-D

gah

Yo aug, what's this book you posted you're re-reading? I meant to write it down, but I can't find where you posted that, on strava? IG?

I've been reading this one called Slow Burn, by Stu Mittleman, talking about running slower to burn energy more efficiently and get more efficient with your heart rate, etc...basically all leading to improved running. And someone else rec'd 80/20 by Matt Fitzgerald, but I haven't picked that up or know what it's about yet, but I'm guessing something similar. Every read either of those?

(Sorry you're still sick and not out crushing miles.)

August

Quote from: gah on January 21, 2019, 02:08:08 PM
Yo aug, what's this book you posted you're re-reading? I meant to write it down, but I can't find where you posted that, on strava? IG?

I've been reading this one called Slow Burn, by Stu Mittleman, talking about running slower to burn energy more efficiently and get more efficient with your heart rate, etc...basically all leading to improved running. And someone else rec'd 80/20 by Matt Fitzgerald, but I haven't picked that up or know what it's about yet, but I'm guessing something similar. Every read either of those?

I reread "How Bad Do You Want It?", also by Matt Fitzgerald.
Although I haven't read his 80/20 book (or Stu's), that's exactly how I train.
80% easy runs and 20% goal oriented.
"Most" of my crew follows the same ratio, although some are just balls out all week.

If you haven't read it already, Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes is a great read.

What's on your calendar???

gah

Quote from: August on January 21, 2019, 02:18:52 PM
Quote from: gah on January 21, 2019, 02:08:08 PM

I reread "How Bad Do You Want It?", also by Matt Fitzgerald.
Although I haven't read his 80/20 book (or Stu's), that's exactly how I train.
80% easy runs and 20% goal oriented.
"Most" of my crew follows the same ratio, although some are just balls out all week.

If you haven't read it already, Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes is a great read.

What's on your calendar???

Yeah, I read Dean's Ultramarathon Man already...and that was cool as a memoir and motivation, but I've been wanting to read something more about training, and my brother in law got me that Slow Burn book. I'm only like 40 pages in so I can't really judge it yet, but I know the back is full of work out plans.

I don't have anything really on the calendar, after that full last year, I felt really burned out, and just kinda drifted, but the last 2 months or so I've just been trying to build base miles again. The last 2-3 weeks though, I've been really enjoying getting those longer distance runs in again. Like a lot. And doing the whole "active" recovery miles, as opposed to taking the next day off after a long run.

August

Your pace is coming down too!
I think if you put a half on your radar, sub-2 is in your reach.