News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

A history of digital sound (16 bit wav to 24 bit flac) for noobs and others.

Started by Superfreakie, June 25, 2010, 04:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

okay, so to start off, this mod only works for ipods 5.5gen and older (the "newer" video), i have a 5th gen video

and on the inside the DAC that is used on the ipod is actually pretty nice, supports 24/96 i belive, and what you do is remove 2 diodes that process the signal going into the amp (iirc) and then you just solder some extremely thin wire from the pads of the left and right diode pad (the pads before the newly made circuit break) then you solder these wires to their respected channels in the pinout (left > left channel pinout, right > right)

this effectively bypasses the internal amp on the ipod, which is a piece of shit, it degrades the signal pretty greatly. but by bypassing the amplifier you need to replace some of the capacitance, so i made a line out dock with capacitors built into the dock itself,also now that you have bypassed the internal amp you can no longer use headphones in the original headphone jack, this is ment for aux cables and the like (how i connect it when i drive)

some pictures of it

this then (as you can see) turns into a mini plug and plugs into my portable headphone amp, which i then strap to my ipod with a "audiophile rubber band" :-D

AKA, a livestrong or wrist band like it.

then i rockboxed my ipod so i could play flac/shn on it, though the higher bitrates eat the battery, totally worth it :)

oh btw my name is will  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard nice to meet you!  :beers:
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

I totally have a rockboxed gen5.5 ipod that is a prime candidate for this...

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 04, 2010, 06:01:27 PM
I totally have a rockboxed gen5.5 ipod that is a prime candidate for this...

.... i can do it for you, we can talk money over PM, also i can show you the parts you need to get (ill eat the cost for cable internal and external), cause to do this i would have to make you a special dock for the ipod.

you mentioned doing the SSD? you would need a compact flash, preferably pick one from newegg, cause the ZIF>CF adapter i need is there. also you need to buy high grade audio capacitors, mini headphone plug and a ipod dock connector

again i can link it up upon request
Make America Melt Again!

aphineday

I'm just starting out int the audiophile scene, and it kind of makes me a little   :crazy:, but I just purchased the HD-FLAC from the 4th show, and am listening right now. I can DEFINITELY tell a difference.  I'm sure this is going to be a little bit of an addiction now.
Also, I just moved into a new place, and really want to stream some audio wirelessly to my stereo. I've read a ton of reviews on the squeezebox, but I also need a new router, so I was wondering if there is any kind of router that will natively support FLAC... I just bought an Airport Express, but can take it back (I know it won't do the FLAC stuff). Thanks to anyone with any input.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Marmar

the router shouldn't matter...it's passing packets, not FLAC streams......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

ph92

Quote from: aphineday on July 06, 2010, 04:59:11 PM
I'm just starting out int the audiophile scene, and it kind of makes me a little   :crazy:, but I just purchased the HD-FLAC from the 4th show, and am listening right now. I can DEFINITELY tell a difference.  I'm sure this is going to be a little bit of an addiction now.
Also, I just moved into a new place, and really want to stream some audio wirelessly to my stereo. I've read a ton of reviews on the squeezebox, but I also need a new router, so I was wondering if there is any kind of router that will natively support FLAC... I just bought an Airport Express, but can take it back (I know it won't do the FLAC stuff). Thanks to anyone with any input.

im a headphone audiophile/diyer idk much about stereo equipment ... marmar, you do though :-D

Sonos, check it out

when my dad bought his new setup, there was this wicked thing they offered us, its called sonos you should check it out, you can load up allll your music on a server (obv) and stream it to your individual setups, its like a little wireless system, and its nice cause you can get these remotes, one is touch the others is like a sideways ipod. but you can surf through your library on the server, go to pandora radio, last fm, and those online radios, if you pay for satellite you can get that too, and the funniest part, you can get any radio station in the world (like registered once), they guy at the store pulled up one from ukraine it was pretty funny, the setup is kind of expensive, but imo, its really neat, tity, nice to look at and if you have the music to warrant it its totally worth it,

also not to mention if you have speakers in another room across the house, you just get another little reciver box and you can use the same remote and control both stereo systems at the same time from the single remote, its pretty sweet. and its got a decent pair of DACs in it so with some decent cabling and nice speakers and a nice setup, you should be set, never touch a cd again ;)
Make America Melt Again!

twatts

I can sell you a Router and a Squeezebox...  I never hooked them up since Heather announced she was preggers the day after we moved inot out new house - the music room instantly became the nursery...

http://week4paug.net/for-sale!/fs-random-crap/

/end shameless plug

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

VDB

Well, you could always convert the FLAC into Apple Lossless or another format iTunes (and Air Tunes) can handle. That's my method of attack. I'll keep the FLAC files on hand unless/until HD space becomes a problem.
Is this still Wombat?