News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/09 - Harvey's Outdoor Theatre - Lake Tahoe NV - Post-Show Discussion/Review

Started by Hicks, August 10, 2011, 01:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: cactusfan on August 10, 2011, 04:37:30 AM

mbw, i think i saw you, but then it took me five minutes to realize 'hey. that was mbw.'

ha!  did we kinda look at each other and go "is that...no....maybe....hmmmm" then i kept on walking by?

Gumbo72203

holy sweaty-balls while wearing black khaki's in the rainforest, that 46 Days was GONZO-nuts.  Like, honking splooge-gush nuts.  Fucking intense, and the best thing is that Trey was SHREDDING!  That was fucking awesome.

And this Jibboo, I'm only a few minutes into the jam, but oh man this is good.  Page is RULING the beginning of the jam on piano, and then Trey decides he wants the attention, and he's actually playing some fucking really good lines.  I like the ideas he's coming up with.

I donno guys... I think Trey has gotten TONS better this year.  His playing is much cleaner and logical, in the sense that he's able to smoothly connect thoughts through his guitar.  Its not Dec '99 Jedi form yet, but damn.... its really good.  Nice short peppy version, with the obligatory arrangement-confusion in the ending.

Interesting crash-landing into Light, lol.  Its a " > " but its kinda Trey just starts Light while sustaining the rave-up ending chord of the Jibboo. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 10, 2011, 12:27:25 PM
I donno guys... I think Trey has gotten TONS better this year.  His playing is much cleaner and logical, in the sense that he's able to smoothly connect thoughts through his guitar.  Its not Dec '99 Jedi form yet, but damn.... its really good.

I agree, except I'd say it's really been in the past couple weeks. There was some straight up bad playing at the beginning of the first leg and even up to Alpharetta there was still some serious blunders going on. Portsmouth was the first time I saw some hope, then SBIX was pretty disappointing except for that Sunday afternoon set. But these past couple shows he is noticeably better to me and last night he was really firing, IMO.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

justjezmund

Light seems to sound kinda like "US storage" at points.  I like it dark.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

cactusfan

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 10, 2011, 12:18:51 PM

mbw, i think i saw you, but then it took me five minutes to realize 'hey. that was mbw.'

ha!  did we kinda look at each other and go "is that...no....maybe....hmmmm" then i kept on walking by?

bingo. it was a long drive from LA. and i left a good chunk of my brain behind.
any particular spot a paug contingent will be hanging about in tonight?

Gumbo72203

Quote from: JustJezmund on August 10, 2011, 01:33:23 PM
Light seems to sound kinda like "US storage" at points.  I like it dark.

Its weird.... the 2nd movement with the pong strobe sounds from Trey is just... i donno.  Its hard without hearing Mike fully on these speakers, but I hear his "bwammm  bwommmm b-bwimmm" stuff.  And I keep hearing the "1-and" rhythmic theme from the 7/4/00 Jibboo that was also heavy in the Camden Sand.  I liked this version of Light better from SBIX.  But its good that Page is going to his cool Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part II synth thing that he uses in the bridge of the 11/11/98 Ghost. 

They really need to play the 12/16/99 Tweezer again, though.  Holy staple-gun does that need some re-airing. 

Chalkdust out of this....  not really a segue at all.  Its almost silent, and then Trey just starts it all rawk-like.  Jarring, but not un-smooth I guess? 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mbw

Quote from: cactusfan on August 10, 2011, 01:34:06 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 10, 2011, 12:18:51 PM

bingo. it was a long drive from LA. and i left a good chunk of my brain behind.
any particular spot a paug contingent will be hanging about in tonight?

im not sure.  if you want you can give me a call or shoot a text 7o8 646 7799

Gumbo72203

DoW

Walls of the cave is such an awesome song.

I'm skipping arouind the last couple of shows and liking what I'm hearing.  someone please wake me up to my hatedom.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Hicks

By the end of Walls I was convinced that I was hearing a top notch 3.0 set.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: bvaz on August 10, 2011, 07:18:49 PM
I'm skipping arouind the last couple of shows and liking what I'm hearing.  someone please wake me up to my hatedom.

If you purchase the stream, they'll probably phone it in tonight. That should do it.

Quote from: Hicks on August 10, 2011, 07:21:46 PM
By the end of Walls I was convinced that I was hearing a top notch 3.0 set.

You know my opinion but I think it was, if nothing else, an example of a great 3.0 show. Light was the only song over 15 min, but they played everything else relatively cleanly and I thought the setlist was perfect. It just didn't feel like they were holding back like it did for a lot of leg 1.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

DoW

meat to bowie doesn't even warrant a (nh).
damn you people and your false notations.  I was looking forward to that?
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mistercharlie

How come I've seen no mention of the Harry Potter theme being played during Chalkdust? It's at the 4:52 mark on the LP version. Trey also played a Dixieland tease shortly before that.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 11, 2011, 12:27:15 PM
How come I've seen no mention of the Harry Potter theme being played during Chalkdust? It's at the 4:52 mark on the LP version. Trey also played a Dixieland tease shortly before that.

Both were mentioned on the LST as they happened, and both were pretty pitchy dawg.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on August 11, 2011, 12:30:13 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on August 11, 2011, 12:27:15 PM

Both were mentioned on the LST as they happened, and both were pretty pitchy dawg.

And this reminds me of something...

Does anyone remember the date of the YEM where Trey teased the Harry Potter theme song? I think it was in summer '09.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.