News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 3 - 5 - Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited v 16 - Phish - Rift

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 26, 2012, 09:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 26, 2012, 05:13:00 PM
I can't wait until I'm old enough to make the "right" musical decisions!

By the time you're old enough to make what we now call 'the right' musical decisions, we will be just as much older and making newer, righter decisions.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 26, 2012, 05:28:25 PM

By the time you're old enough to make what we now call 'the right' musical decisions, we will be just as much older and making newer, righter decisions.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard Yeah, you'll never be as right.

Ser tho, I wasn't saying it was right or wrong. I was just implying your view of Dylan might be different 10 years from now, that's all. And maybe it won't be. He CAN be boring I guess, but then again, at the right times, with the right song, he can also pierce your soul.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: barnesy305 on March 26, 2012, 05:25:46 PM

That sounds like your brother talking.
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 26, 2012, 05:35:28 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 26, 2012, 05:28:25 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard Yeah, you'll never be as right.

Ser tho, I wasn't saying it was right or wrong. I was just implying your view of Dylan might be different 10 years from now, that's all. And maybe it won't be. He CAN be boring I guess, but then again, at the right times, with the right song, he can also pierce your soul.

Fair enough. I can't say how my musical tastes will change in the future.   I'm not denying his brilliance.

Currently, lyrics mean far less to me than the rest of the music.... perhaps that will change in the future. 
Bring in the dude!

mbw

while rift is my fav album by my fav band, and it may be a tough choice if i could only pick one for my island, i had to go with bob, duh.

Hicks

Highway 61 made my list, don't know if Rift would have even made my top 100.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

It's not about what's right. I used to hate the Dead. I didn't really understand jazz. All I listened to in college was 70's funk, the Beatles, Talking Heads, and Phish. I was 30 when I really started getting into the Dead. It definitely wasn't beacause i had never heard the Dead. They just didn't "pull me in the way Phish did."

Dylan came sooner than that, but it wasn't right away. There is a lifetime of music out there to discover. I'm not saying you haven't heard Dylan, but someday this album will reach out and grab you by the balls and you will laugh at the kid who voted for Rift. Doesn't mean you're wrong now and will be right later. Just means you got some more living to do.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

barnesy305

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 27, 2012, 08:16:13 AM

It's not about what's right. I used to hate the Dead. I didn't really understand jazz. All I listened to in college was 70's funk, the Beatles, Talking Heads, and Phish. I was 30 when I really started getting into the Dead. It definitely wasn't beacause i had never heard the Dead. They just didn't "pull me in the way Phish did."

Dylan came sooner than that, but it wasn't right away. There is a lifetime of music out there to discover. I'm not saying you haven't heard Dylan, but someday this album will reach out and grab you by the balls and you will laugh at the kid who voted for Rift. Doesn't mean you're wrong now and will be right later. Just means you got some more living to do.

Agreed, you say that you prefer the music over the lyrics, but as you get older and major life altering events happen ( birth, marriage,death, etc.), shit hits close to home.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: barnesy305 on March 27, 2012, 12:31:20 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 27, 2012, 08:16:13 AM

Agreed, you say that you prefer the music over the lyrics, but as you get older and major life altering events happen ( birth, marriage,death, etc.), shit hits close to home.

you both may be right. It does seem to make sense that my appreciation for lyrics will grow as I age.  But also.... maybe I already have gone through some of these musical change that PG speaks of... I used to LOVE Dylan.

I've listened to Highway 61 more than any other Dylan album, it's my favorite of his.  I actually used to have 2 copies of the CD and for about a year straight I listened to it every morning as I was getting ready for school, and then kept the second CD in my car for the ride to school.  It's a classic.

.... then I got into Phish.... which blew my mind....... which got me into jazz.... which started my music obsession...... which is when my interest for Dylan began to wane.
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

When I was WTU's age, I would have voted Dylan in a heartnbeat as I listened primarily to him and the Dead.  I actually voted Rift here, I must be regressing.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 27, 2012, 01:06:13 PM
When I was WTU's age, I would have voted Dylan in a heartnbeat as I listened primarily to him and the Dead.  I actually voted Rift here, I must be regressing.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Join me! The road to regression is refreshin'!
Bring in the dude!

phil

I voted rift. But then again I have shitty taste in everything.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

twatts

Quote from: phil on March 27, 2012, 10:51:52 PM

meh, I hate Dylan, yet I voted for him over my fav group...  Why???  b/c I think Dylan is more significant overall in the scheme of things...  I still can't stand 'em though...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mbw

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on March 27, 2012, 11:08:27 PM
Quote from: phil on March 27, 2012, 10:51:52 PM

meh, I hate Dylan, yet I voted for him over my fav group...  Why???  b/c I think Dylan is more significant overall in the scheme of things...  I still can't stand 'em though...

Terry

i have a feeling you voted for "Stop Making Sense."