News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Acceptable level of hum at MAX Volume?

Started by roggae, August 04, 2012, 01:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roggae

so i am noticing a faint hum when i set my amp to full volume.  not sure if it's been there all along but i was tinkering around and noticed it.  here is my setup: rega p3-24 w/ttpsu and herbie mat into jolida jd 9 into decware mini torii.  if i switch the mini torii to the second input via the switch i get no hum, but when i switch back to the phono i can hear it.  mind you this is at FULL VOLUME.  my question is, is there an acceptable level of hum at these outrageous volumes.  it's not present in the music at normal or even loud listening levels it's just something i noticed while dickering around. i've tried all the usual solutions to eliminating hum like cheater plugs and moving components and swapping cables. i even have a line conditioner.  what say you enthusiasts?
Clearly it's all awful.

mattstick

Superfreakie

Quote from: mattstick on August 04, 2012, 01:41:24 PM
All systems have a noise floor.

This. Look it up. That being said, there are ways to reduce your noise floor. Overheating/thermal noise is a common problem that can be addressed for improvement. Cabling will also influence your noise floor but can get quite expensive. Also, if your amp is sitting next to your TV's satellite receiver or other electronic gadgetry, there will inevitably be interference. But then again, if all this is not overbearing and does not interfere with your listening enjoyment, the pursuit of lowering the noise floor might be best left to obsessive audiophiles.  :wink: 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

If you're not hearing noise when set to your max listening volume with no record playing, you're doing well.

roggae

Thanks guys. It's clearly an example of over tinkering and over scrutinizing.
Clearly it's all awful.

Superfreakie

Quote from: roggae on August 04, 2012, 03:42:35 PM
It's clearly an example of over tinkering and over scrutinizing.

welcome to the world of audiophiliacs.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

fastfingers12

That's a hundred nineteen to you and me