News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Considering going vegetarian....

Started by Superfreakie, December 08, 2013, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

I'm having a harder and harder time justifying the eating of animals. This is not a health decision. I've been reading a lot about animal conscience and recent developments in the field, and then a friend sent me the following link:

http://altering-perspectives.com/2013/11/scientists-sign-declaration-animals-conscious-awareness-just-like-humans.html

Problem, I've recently started lifting weights again following a doctor's green light that my separated shoulder from 2 years ago is fully healed. That said, I enjoy being cuddly but muscular, but not sure I can do it at the expense of an animal's life. I do consume protein shakes but meat helps. Was thinking maybe I should just eat meat until I hit my optimum performance mass (another year), then go into maintenance mode. For once the muscle is built and one no longer needs to bulk, then the consumption of necessary foods drops significantly. In other words, wait a year before going vege.   

Question, does anyone have any experience being a vegetarian and doing sports at an intense level? Also, you must take into consideration I work 80 hour weeks, so I can't be spending two hours a day boiling down fucking kimchi with other weird beans. I coached a women's team one year and one of the girls was a vege. It was hell to try to get her nutrition just right, a constant struggle.   

Hmmm, this all might come to pass and I'll be devouring 16 ounce Sirloins in NYC for NYE. But thought I'd throw it out there (I will be googling as well)...   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

twatts

A girl I work with does marathons and triathalons...  And she's a veggie... 

She drinks two or those high-protein shakes at lunch everyday...  and she eats a lot of yogurt and other protein sources like nuts...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

mistercharlie

My wife's vegan and while not a weight lifter, she does work out/do yoga for an hour every morning and she gets the majority of her protein though nuts, tofu and beans. She also likes her protein shakes made with coconut milk.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Mark Bittman is kind of a douche, but he has adopted and is a proponent of a flexitarian approach. Basically, you can make the decision to reduce meat intake considerably for either moral or health reasons without eliminating it entirely.

I think what he does is keep completely vegan during daylight hours then eat some grass-fed or free range meat a few nights week only. I can't remember entirely. Do some googling on flexitarian, though. It may interest you.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

birdman

Quote from: mbw on December 08, 2013, 05:36:44 PM
Quote from: birdman on December 08, 2013, 04:58:42 PM
I dont know you any more.
Right?
Next he'll be telling us he hates lsd and is joining the the Church of Scientology.
Paug FTMFW!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Igbo

I'm all for people who give up the eating of animals for any reason. It's just not for me.

sls.stormyrider

If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have given us these things

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

emay

understandable.

Every time around thanksgiving I bust out the secret of butterball corp video which shows how cruel they treat the turkeys and animals at their farms.

Superfreakie

Quote from: birdman on December 08, 2013, 05:45:08 PM
Right?
Next he'll be telling us he hates lsd and is joining the the Church of Scientology.

Well that's what I've been sitting here contemplating. First, I'm gonna deliver this case to Marsellus. Then, basically, I'm just gonna walk the earth.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

danje

I was vegetarian for 3 years. If you're a good cook it shouldn't be hard. Being a lazy college student though I just wasn't getting enough nutrition which made me stop.

barnesy305

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 08, 2013, 09:22:03 PM
Right?

Well that's what I've been sitting here contemplating. First, I'm gonna deliver this case to Marsellus. Then, basically, I'm just gonna walk the earth.

Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

emay

Quote from: barnesy305 on December 08, 2013, 10:22:14 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on December 08, 2013, 09:22:03 PM
Right?

Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

Its okay guys, I figured out why he was reading this article
last paragraph

QuoteIn humans, the effect of certain hallucinogens appears to be associated with a disruption in cortical feedforward and feedback processing. Pharmacological interventions in non-human animals with compounds known to affect conscious behavior in humans can lead to similar perturbations in behavior in non-human animals. In humans, there is evidence to suggest that awareness is correlated with cortical activity, which does not exclude possible contributions by subcortical or early cortical processing, as in visual awareness. Evidence that human and nonhuman animal emotional feelings arise from homologous subcortical brain networks provide compelling evidence for evolutionarily shared primal affective qualia.