News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Home Office Chairs

Started by zimbra, April 25, 2016, 09:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimbra

This is a strange request but I know some of you spend many hours a day in a chair & work from home as well.  I remember some talk a few years ago about chairs, which are expensive as sh!t, but couldn't find it anywhere.  I've discussed it briefly in the Vinyl thread but I'm re-arranging my home (garage apartment) due to the need to utilize my home office because of my new position so that leads me to this: 

I have my office all set up but now I'm need of a chair... I went to IKEA this weekend and all their chairs were absolutely horrible. I have no idea how/why people buy them after sitting in them. If you're going to sit for 10-16 hours a day working, it needs to be comfortable.  However, nice chairs are terribly expensive and I still need to purchase a few other furniture items around the house so I'd like to avoid spending $1K on a damn office chair.

This is what I sit in at the office currently and I love it: http://www.knoll.com/product/life

I've put a decent amount of time into my home's aesthetics so I don't want something just horrendous looking.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Gundo

If you're working from home and trying to keep it chill you might consider one of these.

I used one for many many years. Picked one up on lot. Has a huge, kickass  :syf:  on the side.

Buut Ever since the new year I've been hitting the gym pretty hard. Trying to stay real nice and toned. Eating a ton of veg. Made the switch to this bad boy and couple months back. Someone snapped this pic of me the other day

Both are pretty reasonable. Stealie patch can bump the price up a bit though

kellerb

In my home office, I use one of these (highschool size):

At work, I used to work in a parts room and totally got used to using a "task/work/shop stool."  I took it with me into the Cubicle world.  People have given me a lot of bemused shit about it, but something about it just works for me.  It forces me into an "I feel productive" posture.  That's just me though, I assume RJ's spine is screaming just looking at it.  Everyone can learn to slouch on anything if they focus their laziness properly.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toolstud-Adjustable-Shop-Seat-HRAS/202018314

Every time I read some blog or anything on good office chairs, it's always $1k.  Hermann Miller, Aeron, etc.  If I had a budget category of "CHAIR" and $1000 in it, I'd probably be looking at "Lazyboy", or maybe "One of those 70's-looking chairs, but also it comes with a Sex-swing"

Caravan2001

Those Knoll chairs are really nice.  I swear by the Herman Miller Aeron chairs though.  Started using them around '97 when I was a film editor and in the chair for 15 hours a day.  They have come down in price too.  They were about $850 when they came out but I think you can snag one for about $500 now.  I have had the one in my home office now for 10 years and it is every bit as great/comfortable as the day I got it.  It actually shows zero wear.  Pretty amazing.  Cannot recommend the Aeron enough.  It's one of those things you have that you really appreciate how well it works.  Not sure if it meets your aesthetic criteria but for comfort and quality it rules....I got it because I used to have back issues so that was what prompted me to spend all the dough initially.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html

ETA: the ones I saw for $500 were refurbs so, I guess they really are still $850-900 depending on options.  I have the lumbar one.  Not sure of all the options, but either way, you only have to buy it once and then you're done forever.  If you buy a $300 chair and it's not comfortable, you'll never be happy and end up getting the chair you want some day anyway.  Or just bite the bullet and use a $100 Ikea chair and realize you get what you pay for.  I Use an Ikea Markus chair at work and it's OK, but not really comparable. 

zimbra

I'm thinking of going with a Herman Miller or Knoll. I don't mind if its refurbished, I just need something that's comfortable and will last a few years.

I agree, I need to just buy the chair I want and accept the kick to the groin gracefully.  Otherwise, I'll never be happy and get pissed and buy the chair I want anyways.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio