News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey's Guitar Rig

Started by rowjimmy, August 29, 2016, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

No problem guys....

If you ever wanna talk shop about rigs, feel free to pick my brains.

I'm currently in the process of building a guitar from scratch. Right now I'm doing a semi-hollow with dual Duncan '59's and the same wiring as Trey. Padauk back with a quilted maple top, maple neck, 25.5 scale, jumbo alloy frets....with a nice added touch of Jerry. Making a buffered effects loop built in. Should be interesting to mess around with once it's complete.

and I can't wait to get my amp back from the shop.....getting all kinds of things done to it besides a complete re-cap and tube job....it's a 1969 Siverface Bassman with the '66 blackface circuitry....my next electronics project is to build a switching system to integrate my rack units with my floor unit via MIDI....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Lifeboy

Quote from: Marmar on September 05, 2016, 11:37:43 AM
No problem guys....

If you ever wanna talk shop about rigs, feel free to pick my brains.

I'm currently in the process of building a guitar from scratch. Right now I'm doing a semi-hollow with dual Duncan '59's and the same wiring as Trey. Padauk back with a quilted maple top, maple neck, 25.5 scale, jumbo alloy frets....with a nice added touch of Jerry. Making a buffered effects loop built in. Should be interesting to mess around with once it's complete.

and I can't wait to get my amp back from the shop.....getting all kinds of things done to it besides a complete re-cap and tube job....it's a 1969 Siverface Bassman with the '66 blackface circuitry....my next electronics project is to build a switching system to integrate my rack units with my floor unit via MIDI....

Nice! Please post pics of the finished product

I bought a '89 japanese dakota red strat body, and a 2015 classic series 60's neck with the lacquer stain. Put a lace sensor blue and silver in the neck and middle, and a SD hot rail in the bridge.

Yes, its the affordable version of Dean Weens strat.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Marmar

Nice!

I'm going for the all out Trey tone....except I'm shooting for the 92-95 era sound.

After I'm done with the semi-hollow, since I'll have all the templates and bugs worked out, I'll be aiming at cloning a Doc......full hollow clone. I've already got the wood for it, I'm just waiting to get my semi finished so I'll have a better understanding of what I'll be up against. I kinda cheated with the semi because I bought the neck pre-made....I wont be doing that with the full hollow....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Lifeboy

Quote from: Marmar on September 06, 2016, 10:33:39 AM
Nice!

I'm going for the all out Trey tone....except I'm shooting for the 92-95 era sound.

After I'm done with the semi-hollow, since I'll have all the templates and bugs worked out, I'll be aiming at cloning a Doc......full hollow clone. I've already got the wood for it, I'm just waiting to get my semi finished so I'll have a better understanding of what I'll be up against. I kinda cheated with the semi because I bought the neck pre-made....I wont be doing that with the full hollow....

That's awesome.

I'm still in the process of deciding what I want to do next, even though it may be a ways off due to money restraints (house, gf, kids, etc etc), but I was thinking about an HH strat. I love the look of the transparent butterscotch blonde like you see on a lot of teles. That, with a black pickguard and maybe some black EMG pickups and a maple neck looks SO clean. Or a white pickguard if I were to go with another humbucker.

That would be at the top of my list of ideas if I were to go the building route again. If not, I would really like a decent PRS. Maybe a singlecut or hollowbody.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Lifeboy

Have you seen any of Rich Hoeg's guitars? He used to work for Modulus (I think?) He built Bobby's strat (among others). I LOVE that strat as well as his other builds (as far as looks go). I would like to be able to play one though. I e-mailed him and he gave me his cell phone number. I would really like to get an idea of what his prices are.

http://www.hoegguitars.com/

I absolutely LOVE the shape of the headstocks for his strats.

ETA- I am thinking about installing seperate pickups switches on my other japanese sunburst strat, where I can use to neck and bridge at the same time. Apparently, its a really easy mod too

Gundo

Since when do you have kids?

Lifeboy

Lifeboy

Also, I'm kind of obsessed with this G&L that Jake Cinninger from UM used to play. Its very 80s-Zappa-esque...

It's where I got the idea, obviously

Marmar

I was never a fan of Strats....

Don't like the way they feel or sound...I was always more of a Gibson feel kinda person, but their body shapes are boring and bland....

Lifeboy

Quote from: Marmar on September 08, 2016, 11:32:02 AM
I was never a fan of Strats....

Don't like the way they feel or sound...I was always more of a Gibson feel kinda person, but their body shapes are boring and bland....

I love the boring, plain body. Especially that transparent butterscotch over swamp ash.

But I must say, I definitely think I'm beginning to prefer humbuckers, which is why my next strat (if I get/build another strat) will have them.

I had a Gibson 50's tribute gold top Les Paul for about 3 weeks before I returned it. Super nice guitar, but it just didn't feel right. I'm just not a LP/Gibson guy. I played my buddy's ES-335 and I didn't care for it a whole lot, esp for the price.

In really diggin' the butterscotch strat with HBs or PRS if I want to spend a little more money. Every one I've played felt so comfortable

Marmar

if you're looking into a PRS....

rowjimmy

That is a lovely axe.
I've never been in love with the PRS stylings (no question that they make excellent guitars, tho) before seeing this one.

Multibeast12

I love PRS guitars, I bought one last year that is a blast to play. Is the only thing I have played that feels more comfortable than my strat.

Lifeboy

I love the custom 24s too. I've played a handful and every one felt so good.

Lifeboy

I loved the singlecut I played too. Those are some beautiful guitars.

I like the look more than a Les Paul to be honest...