Author Topic: OGOGO  (Read 816 times)

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
  • Meet animals laminate 'em
OGOGO
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
What are your thoughts?

Here's my take....

I like it. It's like low-fi techno. It's also very pop.....well, as pop as someone like Gordon can be. You can hear 80's elements, as well as newer influences.....

Dare I say.....Let's Go might actually get radio airplay?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

If John Medeski was my church organist I would NEVER miss a Sunday....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - Dr. Timothy Leary

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Offline mopper_smurf

• In the Band
  • We're Not Gonna Take It
    • Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Re: OGOGO
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
Mine should be here on Monday. I liked the ones he put up on YouTube.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | InstagramVimeo | Ello

Did you hear that, Trey? He's getting annoyed. Enough with the effects already.

Offline emay

• In the Band
  • The Walrus was Page
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
What are your thoughts?

Here's my take....

I like it. It's like low-fi techno. It's also very pop.....well, as pop as someone like Gordon can be. You can hear 80's elements, as well as newer influences.....

Dare I say.....Let's Go might actually get radio airplay?

Your review intrigues me, will have to spin this on the way home today.

Offline VDB

• In the Band
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
I'll agree – this album is pretty good, with a fairly contemporary feel throughout. I was pleasantly surprised.

"Let's Go" certainly has a lot to recommend it to the mainstream, but frankly Gordo's vocals aren't strong enough for pop radio.
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »
It's uh, certainly something different from Mike and I like it a lot better than Overstep which I thought was pretty annoying/grating. 

I guess it's a solid effort but like most Mike solo stuff, or Phish studio stuff for that matter, I doubt I'll be listening to it much after it's a couple months old. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Offline VDB

• In the Band
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »
I skipped Overstep after really not caring for Moss.

Also, this is the superior version of Crazy Sometimes.
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »
Moss has some good cuts on it, Horizon Line, Spiral, Babylon Baby, Idea, in fact it might be my favorite album of his. 

Overstep on the other hand sounds like Weird Al trying to make "serious" music. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:13:28 PM by Hicks »
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Offline mbw

• Gamehendge
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »
It's uh, certainly something different from Mike and I like it a lot better than Overstep which I thought was pretty annoying/grating. 

I guess it's a solid effort but like most Mike solo stuff, or Phish studio stuff for that matter, I doubt I'll be listening to it much after it's a couple months old.

Clone should be in regular rotation.

Offline anthrax

• Wrote the Book
  • Nos vemos en las perras de turismo el sofá!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
Just put the new mike album on.  About 3 tracks in, I started wondering why I wasn't listening to phish.  Now happily lapping up jam night.

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
Is Overtstep the last one?  The red and blue one?  You guys are craze.  That's a great album.  Ton of good cuts on there.  Is this new one a double LP too?  Haven't got around to playing it (since none of my local stores have the album).

Offline mistercharlie

• Gave the Book to the Library
  • Gamehendge
  • Moth Kings Hair
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »
It's no Green Sparrow.
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 
Mister Charlie told you so.

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
Is Overtstep the last one?  The red and blue one?  You guys are craze.  That's a great album.  Ton of good cuts on there.  Is this new one a double LP too?  Haven't got around to playing it (since none of my local stores have the album).

Yeah the red and blue one.  I guess I could give it another shot but I pretty much hated it. 

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »

Yeah the red and blue one.  I guess I could give it another shot but I pretty much hated it.

I really like it.  I think there are some songs that could have been left out and it could have been a much stronger single album, but I play it pretty often and like it.

Just streamed OGOGO off of LP and have to say I really like it too.  It's a departure, which I like.  Going to wait to heat the vinyl for full review of the production, but on the stream, the bass is banging.  Have a bunch of friends at the shows this weekend and a couple that are doing the whole tour.  Not sure I like it that much, but I sure wish he was coming to Ptown.

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 02:48:06 AM »

I really like it.  I think there are some songs that could have been left out and it could have been a much stronger single album, but I play it pretty often and like it.

Just streamed OGOGO off of LP and have to say I really like it too.  It's a departure, which I like.  Going to wait to heat the vinyl for full review of the production, but on the stream, the bass is banging.  Have a bunch of friends at the shows this weekend and a couple that are doing the whole tour.  Not sure I like it that much, but I sure wish he was coming to Ptown.

That last show we saw at the Crystal was awesome. Would even consider traveling to Seattle or Eugene to see MGB. 

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
  • Meet animals laminate 'em
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
I really dig the low-fi grit the album has going for it.....the multi-tracking this album has is absolutely insane.....there is a TON of sonic depth to all the instruments. Hard to tell if its a drum machine, or real drums at times....which I dig....

Of course, Victim....Crazy Sometimes....and Let's Go are the best 3 tracks on the album with Whirlwind making honorable mention.....IMHO.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

If John Medeski was my church organist I would NEVER miss a Sunday....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - Dr. Timothy Leary

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.