News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Tom Petty

Started by Hicks, October 02, 2017, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: VDB on October 02, 2017, 05:26:18 PM
Latest from TMZ:

Quote1:35 PM PT -- Sources tell us at 10:30 Monday morning a chaplain was called to Tom's hospital room. We're told the family has a do not resuscitate order on Tom. The singer is not expected to live throughout the day, but he's still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer's death is inaccurate -- the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. handled the emergency.

I desperately would like a miracle here.  :-( :-(

Not great news but sounds like there is at least hope. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

LAPD apologizes for falsely reporting his death.

QuoteHe is currently alive.

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

"Alive"

Sorry, just went through this with my cousin/boss who went into cardiac arrest while running.  Paramedics were able to get her heart beating after an unknown amount of time.  She was brain dead however, just a heart and lungs involuntarily working.  Life support was removed and it took a couple of days before she was dead.  There was never any hope, however.

nab

Hicks

Man I really hope we still get that Wildflowers expanded version. 

There's like six songs nobody's ever heard, if they can pull that together it would be a fitting eulogy for an incredible career. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Hicks on October 03, 2017, 02:57:26 AM
Man I really hope we still get that Wildflowers expanded version. 

There's like six songs nobody's ever heard, if they can pull that together it would be a fitting eulogy for an incredible career.

Agreed. I've been holding out on grabbing that box set, hoping for this.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

August

The Vol. 2 set shot up a bunch recently.
Now there's one up for over $500.
I think I paid $179 when they were available.

rowjimmy

This is a crushing loss.
Way too early.

This guy had a catalog of great songs so deep he could have played five hours and you'd know all of the words.

I wrote this yesterday on the instagrams:

I was eleven when Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' "Don't Come Around Here No More" came on my MTV. The video blew my mind but the song, its sound, changed my perspective on music. As I grew older, I came to learn where those sounds came from. Petty wore his influences as proudly as I wear my Grateful Dead cap. But he also integrated them and called them up to serve his seemingly bottomless well of songs. An American icon, a troubadour, an unceasing road warrior, Tom Petty is bound to remain in the American songbook for a very long time.
And for all of that time, he will be missed.

Wildflowers is, ultimately, the album I'll hold close to me forever. That album alone is enough to put him in every hall of fame, music history text, VH1 special, and grammy montage. The fact that it came 18 years into a career that BEGAN with a record featuring songs like "Breakdown" and "American Girl" just shows the depth of the man's talents...

Lastly, if there's one good thing that comes of this thread, it's that we now know that someone out there still says "water bong".

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 03, 2017, 08:31:02 AM
Lastly, if there's one good thing that comes of this thread, it's that we now know that someone out there still says "water bong".

And there, you brought a smile to a very gloomy day RJ.
Cheers.

mopper_smurf

When my future wife I started dating I noticed she owned quite a few of his albums. I  knew then she was keeper. This one is her favourite.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

VDB

Finely put, RJ.

If this one has hurt me more than any of the recent celebrity losses – and it has – that's because of the deep place of affection that Tom Petty has occupied for, well, basically my entire waking, music-aware life. There was a point, I'd guess in my early teens, when he (with The Heartbreakers) climbed all the way to the top of my own Power Rankings, and on account of this I had made a point to catch them live several times over the years. In fact, the first overnight concert trip I ever took was to a TP show, made allowable thanks to the chaperonage of some older, "responsible" friends.

The sheer length of his career and his endurance as a presence in our lives makes the prematurity of his passing all the more difficult to grapple with. We're going to miss him a lot.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

One of the great songwriters. He made it look so simple and easy.

I can't believe I only saw him live once, in about '92. It was a killer show.

I almost saw him last month at the Berkeley Greek theatre, but the cheapest seats were at least $125, so I decided to skip it. Sigh.

I remember being like 10 years old and thinking Refugee was a great song. That was in '81.

And his newest album, Hypnotic Eye, is great, his best since Wildflowers. The man was on a roll.

mopper_smurf

Last time I saw him in Amsterdam (2012/6/24) he was fucking amazing.

Listen to Her Heart
You Wreck Me
I Won't Back Down
Here Comes My Girl
Handle With Care
Good Enough
Oh Well
(Fleetwood Mac cover)
Something Big
Don't Come Around Here No More
The Waiting (with Eddie Vedder)
Free Fallin'
It's Good to Be King
Something Good Coming
Learning to Fly
Yer So Bad
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream
Encore: Mary Jane's Last Dance
American Girl (with Eddie Vedder)

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 03, 2017, 08:31:02 AM
This is a crushing loss.
Way too early.

This guy had a catalog of great songs so deep he could have played five hours and you'd know all of the words.

I wrote this yesterday on the instagrams:

I was eleven when Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' "Don't Come Around Here No More" came on my MTV. The video blew my mind but the song, its sound, changed my perspective on music. As I grew older, I came to learn where those sounds came from. Petty wore his influences as proudly as I wear my Grateful Dead cap. But he also integrated them and called them up to serve his seemingly bottomless well of songs. An American icon, a troubadour, an unceasing road warrior, Tom Petty is bound to remain in the American songbook for a very long time.
And for all of that time, he will be missed.

Wildflowers is, ultimately, the album I'll hold close to me forever. That album alone is enough to put him in every hall of fame, music history text, VH1 special, and grammy montage. The fact that it came 18 years into a career that BEGAN with a record featuring songs like "Breakdown" and "American Girl" just shows the depth of the man's talents...

Well said RJ and lol, let's roll another water bong. 

I wrote a little tribute too:

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/rip-tom-petty-1950-2017

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on October 03, 2017, 01:48:18 PM
Well said RJ and lol, let's roll another water bong. 

I wrote a little tribute too:

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/rip-tom-petty-1950-2017

Nicely done, ikki.