News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

I learned that rule with lesser than habaneros.  Thought I gained a disease in 5 minutes, then it clicked.  What a pain.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sls.stormyrider

happened to me too.
man, was my wife pissed at me :-P
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

nab

Quote from: slslbs on October 24, 2007, 10:45:55 PM
happened to me too.
man, was my wife pissed at me :-P

Quote from: jephrey on October 24, 2007, 09:34:18 PM
I learned that rule with lesser than habaneros.  Thought I gained a disease in 5 minutes, then it clicked.  What a pain.

J

QFT

:lol:

rowjimmy

It happened to me once.
I asked my gf-at-the-time to kiss it and make it better.

It became better.

sunrisevt

My buddy in high school learned that the hard way, hot wings and a back-seat--even worse for his girl at the time. No joke.

Try a little cinnamon in with the other spices in (red) chili. Surprised me.

For cold weather: French-style beef stew. Takes a while, and some planning, but in my experience it's totally worth it when it's cold out.

2 lbs. beef stew meat (chuck, in chunks)
a big onion, and a few carrots, chopped fine (food processor works)
a couple cloves of garlic, peeled, but whole
sprigs of fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, parsley)
1 or 2 bay leaves
5-10 peppercorns
1 bottle red wine (not piss, not top-shelf)

--marinate all the above in the fridge for 8-24 hours

Next day, take out the meat, reserving all the wine & stuff. Pat the meat dry/ drain on paper towels.
Chop 10-12 oz. of bacon (or salt pork, if you can get it).
Fry the pork at medium heat until crispy, maybe 8-10 minutes. Don't let it burn.
Add the beef.
Sprinkle in 1/3rd cup flour. Stir frequently.

When the beef is starting to brown all over (5-8 minutes), pour in the marniade, including all the solids.
Let this simmer--avoid the hard boil. Cover, simmer for 2 hours. Open occasionally to stir and take a whiff.

With ~ 45 minutes left (1:15 into simmer time), add chunks of cleaned potatoes if you want.
~15 minutes later, add chunks of carrots, and/or pearl onions if you want.
~15 more minutes later, add whole white mushrooms if you want.

Remove from heat when meat is fork-tender and optional veggies are cooked through. Serve with crusty bread, green salad, beer, red wine, whatever.

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

shoreline99

Chipotle-Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
      1 large yellow onion, chopped
      2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
      1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, 1 tablespoon sauce reserved
      1 bottle Mexican beer, such as Negra Modelo
      One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
      1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (1/2 palmful)
      2 pinches ground cinnamon
      Salt and pepper
      3 cups chicken broth
      One 15-ounce can black beans, drained
      1 green apple, finely chopped
      1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
      1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
      1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
      Juice of 1 lime
      1/2 cup sour cream
      1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
      Corn tortilla chips (a couple of generous handfuls), lightly crushed (optional)

1. In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion, garlic and chipotle with its sauce and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the beer and cook until reduced by half, 3 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin, cumin, cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chicken broth and beans and simmer for 10 minutes.

2. In a small bowl, combine the apple, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro and lime juice. In another bowl, combine the sour cream and cranberry sauce.

3. Serve the soup in bowls and top with the apple salsa, cranberry sour cream and tortilla chips, if using.

made this last night. even better today. used sam adams as the beer, and i recommend drinking a few while eating the soup  :beers:
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

rowjimmy

RJ's Vegan Chili

this is imprecise and vague. I generally wing it.

one fat red onion
many fresh garlic cloves
tempeh
tofu (plain, firm)
green pepper
red pepper
canned smoked green chili (couple cans)
fresh jalapeño (to taste. I used one cos the kids are eating. That won't be spicy @ all.)
chili powder
ground cumin
cayenne
red pepper
salt
black pepper

get those going in roughly that order in a nice sized pot. mix in about 1/2 a beer and simmer slowly until the beer is basically gone (about 30-60 minutes.) The spices are, again, to taste.

Add:
beans:
Garbanzo
black
kidney
navy
      (about 5-6 cans in total. lean heavy on your preference, omit what you don't have)
tomato paste (1 small can)
1 can diced tomato (or one large tomato diced)
a mess of mushrooms
and about 3/4 of another beer.

Season liberally with above spices.

Bring it to a boil on medium then crank it down and let it simmer for a good long while. I'm heading for a 2+ hour simmer. stir regularly and add more beer if it gets dry.

shoreline99

Shoreline's Vegan Chili

1/2 cup sherry
2 tbs olive oil
4 cups chopped white onion
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced celery
2 cups diced red pepper
*optional* 2 chopped jalapenos
2 tbs minced garlic
8 cups black beans, cooked [4 cans]
4 cups vegetable broth / stock [2 cans]
2 cups chopped tomatoes [1 can diced]
8 tsp chili powder
4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
4 tbs honey
4 tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

saute onion in sherry and olive oil until translucent.
add carrots, celery and peppers; saute for another 5 minutes or until softened.
add garlic, saute another minute.
add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least an hour. add the cilantro at some point in the last hour so it adds flavor but doesn't totally turn to mush.

serve with sour cream, shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese, chopped jalapenos and more chopped onions if so desired. [for you ovo-lacto vegans].

*i usually don't add the jalapenos in and throw them on top of the chili so the kids can eat it.

ingredient and spice amounts are approximate. i usually wing it and adjust the flavor accordingly during cooking. this is a great and flavorful chili.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Bobafett

a tip i have found with vegan chili is to roughly chop raisins or dried cranberries (not crasins, too much added sugar) and add them to the mix.  they just soak up the flavor and the texture of them is very similar to beef.  so close that people would not really even know.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Bobafett on February 08, 2008, 01:27:40 PM
a tip i have found with vegan chili is to roughly chop raisins or dried cranberries (not crasins, too much added sugar) and add them to the mix.  they just soak up the flavor and the texture of them is very similar to beef.  so close that people would not really even know.

Interesting idea. the crumbles tempeh & tofu fool some people. It at least gives enough varied texture that they don't seem to miss it.

Me, I hate beef.

jephrey

Oh man, maybe a place containing heads isn't the place to do it but...

I LOVE BEEF!  The other dark meat.  A filet wrapped in bacon...  73% lean ground chuck in a frying pan, in onions (White Castle!  If it's even beef).  Pot Roast.  Jedi's flank steak recipe.  A NY strip.  So damn good. 
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rowjimmy

Quote from: jephrey on February 08, 2008, 09:00:43 PM
Oh man, maybe a place containing heads isn't the place to do it but...

I LOVE BEEF!  The other dark meat.  A filet wrapped in bacon...  73% lean ground chuck in a frying pan, in onions (White Castle!  If it's even beef).  Pot Roast.  Jedi's flank steak recipe.  A NY strip.  So damn good. 

You're not alone. I'm just not with you.

My wife likes cow, though.

jephrey

heh, I'm sure there are a lot of beefys around...  As wells as greenies.  But hey, if we went out together, we'd lick the platter clean, and that's what it's all about...  Licking the platter.

Bob Marley

Igbo

Made some banging Thai style Lemongrass chicken with rice the other night.

I dont use recipes or measurements, all top of the dome, so here goes:

-Chopped up a few garlic cloves, minced up a nice hunk of ginger, a good length of finely diced lemongrass, and just thewhites of some green onions.
-Sauteed in a bit of olive oil just to flavor the oil.
-Then threw in a few chopped boneless skinless chicken thigh meat chunks i got from a local organic farm. (dont sleep on dark meat people, much tastier and jucier than cwhite meat)
-Sauteed that till get a little color and still just before done.
-Threw in the shreds of 2 carrots ( i like to use a peeler and just peel the carrots down in strips, like carrot noodles)
-a little bit of a dry white wine, some fish sauce, juice of a lime or 2, and som sriracha hot sauce.
-Let that simmer for a bit till the chicken is fully done.
-Toss in the green tops of the green onions, and a bunch of chopped cilantro (i love cilantro, makes RJ puke)
s-erve over some rice (i prefer basmati rice just cause i grew up eating it)

Enjoy!!

jedifunk

sounds yummy!  thanks for the share!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio