News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Headphones

Started by flow00, June 04, 2006, 10:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

plus, you have the advantage of taking her down to County lockup should she make any more "grunts" or "sighs" :beers:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

I think I'm getting the Shure E3Cs for christmas.  ching.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

Quote from: jephrey on December 11, 2006, 05:09:58 PM
I think I'm getting the Shure E3Cs for christmas.  ching.

J

sweet, you'll love em!  i personally like the bass on the e4c a bit more, but the e3c is a QUALITY pair of headphones!! 
-Phish

PhishJY

Quote from: Marmar on December 11, 2006, 04:05:14 PM
Lemme know how that works out for ya.....so I can toss in an "I told ya so!"

Well, I received them for xmas and I am beyond impressed.  Crystal clear sound. 

Thanks for the recommendation Marmar.
+K
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

flow00

Which ones did you get?

PhishJY

Sennheiser HD280 Pro (in silver, in case you're wondering)
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

Marmar

here it comes.....

wait......

almost.......

I told ya so!
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

ytowndan

Just bot a pair of these Bose Around-Ear Headphones...Defiantly an upgrade from my previous pair of Sony's that I paid $19.99 for!

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_ae_headphones_index
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

whyweigh5.0

I have a pair of these.  They weren't that expensive and I like them a lot.  I like the fact that I can still hear things around me and also hear the music clearly.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

VA $l!m

well... tet locked my topic, since it was this same topic i guess......

so i'm looking for some over-ear headphones to go with my new sony CD walkman... its their top model, pretty nice... but i hate in ear phones.

i've never spent more than $50 on headphones before, and i'm not likely to spend much more than $100 right now...

mainly i'm curious as to how much difference an expensive pair can make when just using them with a walkman.

and does it matter what device your using them with--capatibilty wise-- or can a good set of phones really make a difference regardless of what they are plugged into.

any input//experience fellas??

thanks,
slim.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

khanti

I need to have closed over-ear phones at work to keep from annoying my neighbors in cube-land. I used to have a pair of cheap-ish $50 Koss active-noise-canceling phones from when I used to fly a lot for work. They were nice, but I really had no idea what good cans were until those the Koss phones died a few weeks ago. No better time to upgrade, I figured.

I replaced them with a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones and HOLY SHIT! these things are nice.

:clap:http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=004974 :clap:

They list for $199, but you can find them for $99 all over the web.

I want to upgrade to their HD650's one of these days, but it's hard to justify since I likely wouldn't be able to use them at work due to the sound leakage...

I've heard detail in music the last few weeks that I didn't think was possible. I'm re-listening to albums/shows that I haven't listened to in ages just to re-experience them with these cans. Build quality is excellent and I can wear them comfortably for 3-4 hour stretches at work with no problems, too.

I use them with my Rio Karma (2 years old and only 20GB, but plays OGG and FLAC) and since they are only 64 Ohm impedance, it doesn't have too much trouble driving them, making using them without a separate headphone amp possible.

For a closed-over-ear headphone, you simply can't do better for the money.
QuoteThose Smallmouth are great on a flyrod. They're not all finicky like Trout. Trout are English and Bass are Polish.
-Greg Brown "Eugene"

khanti

Nice!  I just read the rest of the thread. Nice to see Marmar and I have the same taste in cans! 

Bought my 280's here http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-280-pro.php based on reviews I read online and couldn't be happier for the $ I spent.
QuoteThose Smallmouth are great on a flyrod. They're not all finicky like Trout. Trout are English and Bass are Polish.
-Greg Brown "Eugene"

tet

ya, if marmar likes it, good chance it's a worthwhile purchase.  though i would hesitate before blowing $12k on a matched pair of McIntosh amps....
-Phish

Marmar

lol...why's that tet?

Ok...to answer your question slim.....by all means YES it will make a difference. think of it like this............would you rather listen to sound coming from a stereo with little 2.5" drivers for bass or a nice set of 8" drivers? It really will make that much of a difference. Honestly, you can not go wrong with any headphones that are "reference" models.....these models are usually tuned for accuracy and spl. If you just want volume, go for DJ headphones......but seriously, and take this to heart, you'll never hear music the same way after you've had a few days with reference level headphones on......the detail and accuracy is simply amazing, even with a $5 discman you can buy at CVS....and they only sound better with better equipment......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

VA $l!m

those headphones look really nice.
i could rationalize spendin a bill too...

any other recs in this range i should check out, or are these my best bet?

((BTW... what is this  "reference level" you're speaking of??))

EDIT:

i browsed that website... some good stuff......

they kep mentioning the use of 'headphone amps'--- i'll be honest, i have no idea what they are refering to. --????
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-