News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Headphones

Started by flow00, June 04, 2006, 10:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khanti

I'll bet Marmar will hop on later and add to this, but from my limited technical understanding...

Headphones are like speakers, just smaller. The signal needs to be amplified in order to be audible with headphones just like with regular stereo speakers. CD players, iPods and the like all also have little amplifiers in them to drive the headphones you plug into them. Trouble is, some headphones, in fact, most of the better ones, for reasons I don't really understand, have a higher electrical impedance meaning that the puny amplifiers in these portable devices just don't have the oomph (that's a technical term) to drive these headphones to their highest potential.

Since I didn't have the $ to invest in both a HIGH-end set of headphones AND a separate amp, I liked the specs of the HD280s, as their relatively low impedance of 64 Ohms means that they can and do sound pretty damn good without a separate amplifier, but they'll still benefit from one as well. So I can add one later if I want.

That's how I understand it, anyhow.  Hope that helps. I use my HD280's without a separate amplifier and am still VERY impressed with their sound. It sounds like PhishJY is enjoying his as well!
QuoteThose Smallmouth are great on a flyrod. They're not all finicky like Trout. Trout are English and Bass are Polish.
-Greg Brown "Eugene"

VA $l!m

Quote from: khanti on May 12, 2007, 09:16:03 PM
I'll bet Marmar will hop on later and add to this, but from my limited technical understanding...

Headphones are like speakers, just smaller. The signal needs to be amplified in order to be audible with headphones just like with regular stereo speakers. CD players, iPods and the like all also have little amplifiers in them to drive the headphones you plug into them. Trouble is, some headphones, in fact, most of the better ones, for reasons I don't really understand, have a higher electrical impedance meaning that the puny amplifiers in these portable devices just don't have the oomph (that's a technical term) to drive these headphones to their highest potential.

Since I didn't have the $ to invest in both a HIGH-end set of headphones AND a separate amp, I liked the specs of the HD280s, as their relatively low impedance of 64 Ohms means that they can and do sound pretty damn good without a separate amplifier, but they'll still benefit from one as well. So I can add one later if I want.

That's how I understand it, anyhow.  Hope that helps. I use my HD280's without a separate amplifier and am still VERY impressed with their sound. It sounds like PhishJY is enjoying his as well!

thanks alot for the input bro!
i think you explained the benefits of those 280s very well... i also just read up on the amps... i mean i understand the concept, its just a completely new idea to me-- never heard of anyone toting around a AMP for their headphones!! thats freakin cool!

anyway, without going crazy comparing stuff, those 280s are lookin dope.

its funny, i will end up using them for everything, but right now, i jsut bought this new CDwalkman... its actually got a decent ampunt of power and it drives the included pair of in ears nicely, but the overear phones i own-- some really big sonys(-probably like $20-30) dont ge tthe same response.......

BTW,, HERE is the Walkman i just purchased:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DNF430&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Walkman_CDWalkman

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

so... the one negative thing i see in reviews of the hd 280s is that they are bulky...

would it be a stretch to go for these if i was mainly going to use them while on the move/road/air, etc...??

tet

i've got an old pair of Sony MDR-V600s that still kick some ass.  completely over the ear, very comfortable to wear for HOURS, and they really work wonders on planes.  they do seem to use up battery power a bit more than earbuds though, i will say that.  i had them with my old portable CD player though, and they were really fantastic.  they are probably about the same size as these Senns, but you'll find them for pretty cheap these days. 

sitting at home though, i tend to use my newer Grado SR-125s.  stunning fidelity, but they're more open air designed, and sit on top of the ears, not over them completely - they really don't block out much outside sound because of that.  my iPod can certainly power them well enough, i'm sure the Walkman could too.  i think they still sell for $150, and i'd highly recommend stepping up to them.  very tiny and lightweight, but sound quality that will blow you away for that money.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

Quote from: tet on May 12, 2007, 10:27:05 PM
i've got an old pair of Sony MDR-V600s that still kick some ass.  completely over the ear, very comfortable to wear for HOURS, and they really work wonders on planes.  they do seem to use up battery power a bit more than earbuds though, i will say that.  i had them with my old portable CD player though, and they were really fantastic.  they are probably about the same size as these Senns, but you'll find them for pretty cheap these days. 

sitting at home though, i tend to use my newer Grado SR-125s.  stunning fidelity, but they're more open air designed, and sit on top of the ears, not over them completely - they really don't block out much outside sound because of that.  my iPod can certainly power them well enough, i'm sure the Walkman could too.  i think they still sell for $150, and i'd highly recommend stepping up to them.  very tiny and lightweight, but sound quality that will blow you away for that money.

i had a pair... no tthat model but very similar, that i bought back ~ 1992... they were the shit and were my headphones for years... i fianlly busted them a few years back and then ended up gettin these cheap sony's that i thought would do the same trick, but i guess when you buy a set of headphones at walgreens you cant really expect anything professional grade! :lol:

thats one nice thing about my new walkman-- 1 AA battery lasts 41 hours!! yes!

tet

Quote from: VA slim on May 12, 2007, 11:11:01 PM
thats one nice thing about my new walkman-- 1 AA battery lasts 41 hours!! yes!
wow, i remember having 2 AAs used to get me about 12 hours of listening time...
-Phish

Marmar

Think of a headphone amp like any car stereo.....

Your deck will drive aftermarket speakers nicely......but when you push the head, it will distort.......now, add an amp into the signal chain.......suddenly, you can drive the head to almost full volume before it starts to distort.......this is because the amp provides a cleaner, more stable supply of "clean power" to drive the speakers. Headphone amps are the same thing. You can drive headphones without an amp, but as was stated, you'll never get their full potential if that have a high impedance.....most onboard amps for portables range from about 100-800mOhms......so if you get a pair of headphones with an impedance of say 64mOhms, you'll overload the amp before you can send enough current to drive the headphones to their full allowance of current. In such a case, an external amp for the phones would provide the necessary current to drive the phones to their full, "nominal", operating levels.

It's a basic audio/electrical principal.....try to match your resistances from amp > sound reproducing device (speaker/headphone) so that you don't strain your amp and or speakers. So in other words, if your speakers say "4Ohms Nominal" make sure you have an amp that can do at LEAST 4Ohms. Another thing to remember is that the higher the Ohms # is, the more resistance the circuit has......so if you have an amp that is rated for 4Ohms, DO NOT run a 2Ohm load on it......8Ohm amp, don't run a 4Ohm load on it.....etc......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Marmar on May 13, 2007, 11:04:21 AM
Think of a headphone amp like any car stereo.....

Your deck will drive aftermarket speakers nicely......but when you push the head, it will distort.......now, add an amp into the signal chain.......suddenly, you can drive the head to almost full volume before it starts to distort.......this is because the amp provides a cleaner, more stable supply of "clean power" to drive the speakers. Headphone amps are the same thing. You can drive headphones without an amp, but as was stated, you'll never get their full potential if that have a high impedance.....most onboard amps for portables range from about 100-800mOhms......so if you get a pair of headphones with an impedance of say 64mOhms, you'll overload the amp before you can send enough current to drive the headphones to their full allowance of current. In such a case, an external amp for the phones would provide the necessary current to drive the phones to their full, "nominal", operating levels.

It's a basic audio/electrical principal.....try to match your resistances from amp > sound reproducing device (speaker/headphone) so that you don't strain your amp and or speakers. So in other words, if your speakers say "4Ohms Nominal" make sure you have an amp that can do at LEAST 4Ohms. Another thing to remember is that the higher the Ohms # is, the more resistance the circuit has......so if you have an amp that is rated for 4Ohms, DO NOT run a 2Ohm load on it......8Ohm amp, don't run a 4Ohm load on it.....etc......

word.

so is it cool like khanti said with the 280s... in the respect that they are nice as is, but also will functino with an amp if i end up adding one?!?

Marmar

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

VA $l!m

so i just asked for a pair of HD 280's for my B-day!

in hopes of gettin them before i leave for my Vacay.

::fingers crossed::

westkat

GRADO  SR - 60 
not the most comfortable , but you get audiophile sound for $ 60 .

tet

great deal for those.  thought once i hear the 90s and 125s, i was sold on the extra $$...
-Phish

VA $l!m

Sennheiser hd 280 pros in the mail for my b-day!

$99, free shippin... no cost to me!

best part is they'll be here in three days, and plenty of time before i leave for VA next week!

w00t!

thanks for the recs guys, i'll let ya'll know how they work out.

OH. I ALmOST FORGOT:

i read somewhere that when i first get these cans that i should 'let them burn'-- or in other words like leave them plugged into a playing source at a decent VOlume for a bunch of continous hours to break them in or whatever.
IS this the right thing to do?

thanks,
slimbo.

Marmar

well

yes/no

Break-in should happen gradually.....and it won't take much to break them in....prolly 3 hrs at most.......at nominal power......I wouldn't rely on letting them just play at a "decent" volume because the moving structures will generate heat, and heat is the enemy.....if you really want to break them in fast, get a test-tone sweep disc (you can download em if ya know where to look) and play it a few times.....just umm....don't do that while listening cuz you'll go deaf.....seriously.....

It will sweep from 16Hz (roughly) to 20kHz.......it will also have a 1kHz pilot tone, and more than likely, white and pink noise at 86dbfs......playing those once will break the stiffness.

nab

I love these kind of discussions.  I am a little behind the curve at times, but finally I have an understanding of WTF  Ohms are.  I've been looking at that specification on headphone packages for years and been totally in the dark.  Thanks everyone for allowing me to lurk and learn.  Thanks Art, your analogies are always helpful.  :beers: