News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Kimock and Vega to re-unite!

Started by gainesvillegreen, November 05, 2006, 09:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

This should generate even less interest than my String Cheese topic, but we'll spread it around anyhow:

From the Kimock List:
Banyan:
Stephen Perkins
Willie Waldman

playing at Cervante's in Denver
December 21, 22, 23

with special guests:
Steve Kimock
Bobby Vega
Ray White

gimmetela

zero toured a bit this summer, or was that a flashback?  i did just pop my back...

rowjimmy

Vega didn't play with Zero this summer. Liam Hanrahan (sp?) played bass.

But it should be noted that that show is more than Kimock & vega back together... Ray White is back in the fold too!!!

KVHW was the shit.

Sure, we don't have alan Hertz but Stephen Perkins can grace the traps anytime. dude is an amazing drummer.

Edit to add:

might have to go to Denver for this.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 06, 2006, 10:09:29 AM
KVHW was the shit.

Agreed, listened to KVHW all weekend in excitement.  I can make recommendations if you come out this way for the shows.  I'm pretty sure I'll be making it to at least one of them.  The Zero/Kimock fans are going to come out en masse for this, should be one hell of a party.  People have been pining for this "reunion" for a long time, so should be a great atmosphere (although Cervantes is quite the talkative venue...home of the now infamous STFU show). 

rowjimmy

I won't be out there... as much as I'd like to be. It's xmas weekend after all. but if there were a kimock show I'd fly across the country for... That's it.

gainesvillegreen

I think a lot of people feel that, which is why it will be important to get tickets well in advance. 

I hope Ray White is clean, mentally healthy, and the three night stand will be incident free.  That was a long time ago, though, so hopefully those demons have been quelled. 

Well, if you change your mind, the offer still stands. 

rowjimmy

Thanks.
It's a shame too, I bet i could get CM to let me setup onstage. It's be a fabulous way to break in my new mics.

gainesvillegreen

Well, obviously, it didn't go down.  But, I do get to attend Saturday night's Zero show in Denver.  And perhaps tomorrow night as well if I can sweet talk the wife.   :wink:

gainesvillegreen

For those who are keeping score...the 1/18/07 setlist...from the Kimock listserv:

Great show...

Set 1:
anorexia
tangled hangers
watching the river flow
ermaline
horses ->
merle's boogie

Set 2:
nancy germany ->
many river to cross!!!!!!!!!!!!

sun sun sun
like a rolling stone ->
just my imagination ->
like a rolling stone/just my imagination mixed together
listen here ->
that's what love will make you do

90% sure I'll be there tonight (my 1st show since APRIL 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!), and 100% sure I'll be there tomorrow night.  Any lurkers who are going tonight stop by and say hello - I'll be around  :wink:

rowjimmy

gainesvillegreen

Show was the fucking heat - great first set, great Tongue opener in the second, and a JGB Don't Let Go show closer (I think it is first time played, at least in this incarnation). 

Steve was on fire, especially during the Cole's > Baby Baby one-two punch to open the show. 

rowjimmy

gainesvillegreen

Zero 1/19/07
Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
Denver CO

Set 1:
Cole's Law
Baby Baby
Chance In A Million
The Weight
Showboat
Pits Of thunder

Set 2:
Tongue 'n' Groove
Me & The Devil
Trouble You Can't Fool Me ->
Rigor Mortis ->
Outskirts Of Town ->
Rigor Mortis
War At The End Of The World
Don't Let Go

Zero 1/20/07
Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom
Denver CO

Set 1:
You're the One
Tear Tags Off Mattresses
Catalina
Gomorrah
Boogie On Reggae Woman >
Home on the Range  (Dedicated to PC)

Set 2:
Crazy Fingers
Big Love
Mercury Blues
Golden Road +
Franklin's Tower +*$

E:
Many Rivers to Cross

Franklin's Tower was over 30 minutes long.
+ Jake Wolf on talking drum
* Cecil "P-Nut" Daniels on MIDI Saxophone
$ Miles Kimock on Tambourine

So much JGB happening at these shows - my ass still hurts from where Melvin Seals kicked it.  Repeatedly.
The Golden Road/Franklin's Tower combo to end the show was a monster.  Can't remember when it was during Franklin's, but Steve went fucking unconscious during one point.  One of the best solos I've ever seen him play in 10+ years of seeing him perform.  He took a few solos during Franklin's, but during the one I am talking about, EVERYBODY on stage had their mouths on the floor.  Catalina featured a great (and rare for the weekend) piano solo from Melvin.

gainesvillegreen

1/18/2007 is up and ready at the Live Music Archive.  Available to stream as well:

http://www.archive.org/details/zero2007-01-18.mbho.flac16

Review thus far:
sound Quality is pretty good considering its from Cervante's. John morgan Kimock was bringing the hot fire along with Anton, Seals was rippin it up on keys, Kimock was melting every face in a three-mile radius. This would be a solid show if jerry joseph didnt show up. Jerry is the worst artist i have ever seen and he was compleatly out of place at this show. He was coked out and needed sheet music so he knew what to do, yet he still managed to sound horrible. Martin was even talking shit on him during setbreak. NO ONE LIKES YOU JERRY GO FOLLOW PANIC AROUND SOME MORE INSTEAD OF RUINING GOOD MUSIC BY ATTEMPTING TO BE AN ARTIST, YOU HACK!

Good points.  Although Jerry got better and better with every set.   

gainesvillegreen

1/20/07 is now up on the LMA:
http://www.archive.org/details/zero2007-01-20.dpa4022.flac16

Also, 1/19 and 1/20 from a different source are up at:
www.cotapers.org

I only saw two mics for 1/20.