News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Overrated Phish shows?

Started by Allwookedout, July 06, 2007, 08:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Sea Pedestrian

Quote from: August on July 06, 2007, 03:35:47 PM
Oh...
You could have seen the shittiest PH show it would have blow yer sox off.
a

I know, I'm already saving up for a plane ticket for when they announce a reunion tour  :wink:

mattstick

Is there any show that's more hyped than Big Cypress?

Sure it's good - that's not what we're debating.  That opinion never fails to illicit responses...

August

I prefer 12-30-99 over 12-31-99.
But BC is WAY overrated.
a

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rickjamesstjames

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2007, 03:39:58 PM
Is there any show that's more hyped than Big Cypress?

Yes...12/31/95....I have never seen a  show that gets more credit than this one gets on the 'Paug.

What am I missing? I just never really got into the Mad Scientist thing. I always thought that you kinda had to be there for the full effect.

What else about this show is really that outstanding?

P.S. Many of the Dec. 99 shows are musically superior to Big Cypress.
Quote from: phan003 on June 24, 2007, 10:57:21 PM
sweet lecture.  I suppose he should dose the fucker too?  :roll:

emperor_brian

Quote from: rickjamesstjames on July 06, 2007, 05:13:10 PM
Yes...12/31/95....I have never seen a  show that gets more credit than this one gets on the 'Paug.

What am I missing? I just never really got into the Mad Scientist thing. I always thought that you kinda had to be there for the full effect.

What else about this show is really that outstanding?

Erm...the MUSIC?

That's a matter of opinion like everything else, obviously. But I don't come back to this show and exalt it because of the NYE Stunt. It looks like it was fun. I wasn't there, but I'm sure even if I had been, the GAG wouldn't be what brought me back.

There is, to me, so much soulful, collective, adventurous and all-around kick-ass improvisation in this show that it's hard to top. Yes, there are longer jams, yes there are shows where even longer amounts of time are spent on improv. But the quality, cohesiveness and variety of these jams are something else. You'll find similar vibes and styles throughout Fall 95, but never this MUCH top-drawer stuff in the same show. The Reba end-jam is one of the most spine-tingling ever, the Drowned->Lizards segue is gorgeous, Runaway Jim has some extended but tight electro-grooving, YEM has TWO great jam segments, and Paug and Mike's jump out of their normal grooves so far and so smoothly that by that Delay Loop jam at the end of set 2, it's hard not to be slack-jawed.

Add an all-around great, varied setlist, humor and narration, high energy, and even some straight kick-ass rocking (JBG, etc.) and you have a near perfect show IMO.
"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open." - Frank Zappa

susep

Quote from: emperor_brian on July 06, 2007, 06:12:40 PM
Erm...the MUSIC?

That's a matter of opinion like everything else, obviously. But I don't come back to this show and exalt it because of the NYE Stunt. It looks like it was fun. I wasn't there, but I'm sure even if I had been, the GAG wouldn't be what brought me back.

There is, to me, so much soulful, collective, adventurous and all-around kick-ass improvisation in this show that it's hard to top. Yes, there are longer jams, yes there are shows where even longer amounts of time are spent on improv. But the quality, cohesiveness and variety of these jams are something else. You'll find similar vibes and styles throughout Fall 95, but never this MUCH top-drawer stuff in the same show. The Reba end-jam is one of the most spine-tingling ever, the Drowned->Lizards segue is gorgeous, Runaway Jim has some extended but tight electro-grooving, YEM has TWO great jam segments, and Paug and Mike's jump out of their normal grooves so far and so smoothly that by that Delay Loop jam at the end of set 2, it's hard not to be slack-jawed.

Add an all-around great, varied setlist, humor and narration, high energy, and even some straight kick-ass rocking (JBG, etc.) and you have a near perfect show IMO.

well said.

jedifunk

well, then, i guess the debate is whether NYE99 or NYE95 is the more overrated.

i say 95, simply because "its the best show ever"... and i tire of that.  its a killer show, but no where near what its made out to be...

of course, there can be only one... one "best ever", one "most overrated", etc...  YMMV

and i'm abstaining from this topic, just to make sure matt & i don't butt heads again
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Overrated is just such a strange thing to debate, it's too subjective.

I do feel that 12/31/95 lives up to the hype, while 12/31/99 falls short - but I'm fine with other people feeling the opposite too.

emperor_brian

Quote from: jedifunk on July 06, 2007, 06:47:46 PM
well, then, i guess the debate is whether NYE99 or NYE95 is the more overrated.

i say 95, simply because "its the best show ever"... and i tire of that.  its a killer show, but no where near what its made out to be...

of course, there can be only one... one "best ever", one "most overrated", etc...  YMMV

And I'd say:

"i say Big Cypress, simply because "its the best show ever"... and i tire of that.  its a killer show, but no where near what its made out to be..."

But that's perfectly fine. I feel that the vibe and the Moment of Big Cypress -- it's hard to beat the power of playing all night in this big festival as the sunrise ushers in a new millenium -- overshadow the music, just as some people feel the same I'm sure about NYE 95, relatively spearking. After removing the rose-tinted goggles and peeling everything away but the music, it feels really good, but vastly overrated.

But when I do the same thing to the mystique of NYE 95, the music holds up perfectly to me, so there ya go.

I'd never begrudge you for thinking different, I'm glad you do. Life would be boring with just a lot of "me, too!" posts  :wink:

jedifunk

whew... when i saw that you had posted right after my post i thought we were in for round 2 of our big cyp's debate... ;)
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

susep

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2007, 06:51:27 PM
I do feel that 12/31/95 lives up to the hype, while 12/31/99 falls short - but I'm fine with other people feeling the opposite too.

I think 31Dec.99 lives up to the hype, I mean the Melt alone justifies.

Honestly the Lemonwheel would be an obvious candidate for overrated, esp. compared to the Went.  The '98 Summer Tour was full of killer funkdiom but by the time the caravan reached Limestone, they seemed played out ala the Ambient 4th set.

emperor_brian

Quote from: susep73 on July 06, 2007, 06:58:25 PM
The '98 Summer Tour was full of killer funkdiom but by the time the caravan reached Limestone, they seemed played out ala the Ambient 4th set.

:lol: I'm waiting for jedifunk to jump all over this.

jedifunk

:-D

u no likely the ambient jam?  best phish ever! ;)  but seriously, its probably my favorite phish... not that you didnt already know that
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

newplanet7

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 06, 2007, 02:09:19 PM
anything after 1995-12-31...  :evil:
:samurai:
I would say '95 as a whole is overrated. Too much Trey for my taste.
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.
:lol:

"Gus Johnson Got the key"