News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Overrated Phish shows?

Started by Allwookedout, July 06, 2007, 08:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cimsm

Quote from: newplanet7 on July 06, 2007, 09:17:11 PM
:samurai:
I would say '95 as a whole is overrated. Too much Trey for my taste.
SNAP!
:-o
:lol:

Caravan2001

The thing is, as they say, someone's worst show is someone else's best show sooo....I mean I count the Island Nassau shows as the worst I ever saw.  Listening back on tape, I can see how some people think they are really good, but still, my experiences there made those up there with the worst.  I skipped RI because of them.  And it was probably just something as random as my headspace....I just wasn't feeling those shows, and I still don't, so yeah, this is completely subjective.  And I agree with Jedi:  While I DO feel that 12/31/95 is the greatest show ever, it is because of my personal experience at that show (time travel, out of body experience, ESP etc.) and it does seem to have to bear the weight of being the best, which can get a little tiresome, since there is no best.  For the record, the worst show I ever saw was either Continental Airlines Arena w/ BB King, Hampton '04, or Hampton 1/2/03.  And the 1st night of Coventry, that was an embarrassment.  But, to make my long story longer, after 1/2/03 I was running my mouth about what a dogshit show it was and my buddy said "Hey, that was my birthday, and I had the time of my life"...I felt like a jerk, 'cause whose to judge?

newplanet7

Quote from: caravan2001 on July 06, 2007, 09:51:50 PM
The thing is, as they say, someone's worst show is someone else's best show sooo....I mean I count the Island Nassau shows as the worst I ever saw.  Listening back on tape, I can see how some people think they are really good, but still, my experiences there made those up there with the worst.  I skipped RI because of them.  And it was probably just something as random as my headspace....I just wasn't feeling those shows, and I still don't, so yeah, this is completely subjective.  And I agree with Jedi:  While I DO feel that 12/31/95 is the greatest show ever, it is because of my personal experience at that show (time travel, out of body experience, ESP etc.) and it does seem to have to bear the weight of being the best, which can get a little tiresome, since there is no best.  For the record, the worst show I ever saw was either Continental Airlines Arena w/ BB King, Hampton '04, or Hampton 1/2/03.  And the 1st night of Coventry, that was an embarrassment.  But, to make my long story longer, after 1/2/03 I was running my mouth about what a dogshit show it was and my buddy said "Hey, that was my birthday, and I had the time of my life"...I felt like a jerk, 'cause whose to judge?
Great way to sum it up. It's subjective.
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.

"Gus Johnson Got the key"

August

True.
We have had these debates for a long time and actually being at a show usually sways your opinion.
I was at 12-31-1995 but not BC.
The experience I had at MSG is indescribable, as I'm sure it is for those that were at BC.
I had a better time being on dr00gs, playing my own music in Mario Puzo's mansion in the Hampton's, anyway.  :-P
a

Red Sea Pedestrian

Quote from: newplanet7 on July 06, 2007, 09:17:11 PM
:samurai:
I would say '95 as a whole is overrated. Too much Trey for my taste.

As far as Trey is concerened, I'd say '95 is the best Trey I've heard, so I wouldn't say it's too much, because it's good...

'94 was also a good year for him, but '95 is really where it all came together. I'd say pre-94 was when they really sounded great as a whole, in '93 the jams were really beyond any single instrument...

eh I'm rambling.

newplanet7

Yep '95 is the best(shredding) Trey. Trey(shredding) I'm not really into.
Hence I don't dig '95 and I think it's overrated. Subjective.
I don't dig shred guitar. Too showboatish for me.
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

cimsm

Quote from: newplanet7 on July 06, 2007, 10:05:13 PM
Yep '95 is the best(shredding) Trey. Trey(shredding) I'm not really into.
Hence I don't dig '95 and I think it's overrated. Subjective.
I don't dig shred guitar. Too showboatish for me.
I hear ya.  I agree and disagree...
I like both btw.
:-)

mbw

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2007, 03:39:58 PM
Is there any show that's more hyped than Big Cypress?

Sure it's good - that's not what we're debating.  That opinion never fails to illicit responses...

all im saying is i think it lived up to all the "hype"

Quote from: August on July 06, 2007, 09:58:58 PM
True.
We have had these debates for a long time and actually being at a show usually sways your opinion.
I was at 12-31-1995 but not BC.
The experience I had at MSG is indescribable, as I'm sure it is for those that were at BC.
a

exactly

i was at bc but not msg
the whole experience of being on sovereign indian land with little to no rules, drum circles in the cypress groves, surprises around every corner, the threat of being eaten by an alligator while you slept; getting a corrine corrina, light up(12/30), after midnight; cheesecake, a meatstick new years, and a marathon set till sunrise...hype fulfilled!

imho :-D

cimsm

I was completely blown away by BC, and I admit, it wasn't totally because of the music.  Don't get me wrong, I would rank BC in my top 10 of all time musically, but the "intangibles" brought it to the forefront for me.
Quadrophonic Topplings in the middle of the night?!  On mescaline?! :banana:

newplanet7

Quote from: cimsm on July 06, 2007, 10:54:36 PM
Quadrophonic Topplings in the middle of the night?!  On mescaline?! :banana:
:-D

cactusfan

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2007, 03:39:58 PM
Is there any show that's more hyped than Big Cypress?

Sure it's good - that's not what we're debating.  That opinion never fails to illicit responses...

oooh, illicit responses... i'd like to hear some of those elicited...   :wink:

meanwhile, NYE 95 is way overrated in my book. there's a selection of great songs-- reba, mike's, weekapaug, yem-- but a lot of just okay ones, too, and for me the flow is never really there. what about coil? trey simply forgets what to play and plays nothing! weak-ass version. jim is boring. drowned is okay, but i don't understand why this is held up as a great version.
then again, i wasn't there... if i was, i bet i'd be singing a different tune...

also overrated: 12/14/95. never could get into that one. probably my least favorite tweezer of '95.

as to BC, i can't imagine having been there (i wasn't) and NOT thinking it was the greatest show ever. for a total experience, that must have been utterly mindblowing. but on tape... they played for what, six hours straight? no surprise, there are many high points and also many so-so points. for me listening at home, it's not one of my favorite shows.

here's one that'll get me killed around here: 12/30/93, way overrated.   :samurai:

12/31/93 is one of the most awesome shows i've ever heard, but 12/30? borrrrrring. what's the big deal with this one? i don't get it at all.

August

12-14-1995?!
You're out of your mind.
a

sophist

General comment on peeps saying 12/31/95 = overrated

I don't see how anyone could argue against the musical proficiency of 95.  Let alone NYE 95.  I know some people prefer the funk, but at the same time, its hard to argue with how powerful some of the pre-funk jams are and how well played each jam was on 1995/12/31.  As a musician, I could study it for years, and still not fully grasp the magic that occurred that night.  For me, the Reba, Mike's, Drowned, Jim, and Weekapaug are all top 5's.  The YEM is a standout version in my opinion, and the standards are well played.  The opening sequence of PYITE > the Sloth is orgasmic and such a burst of energy.  The Forbin > Mockingbird is also one of kind, and while not the best, it certainly holds it own.  I'm also very moved by Page's rendition of Sea and Sand. 

Quote from: cactusfan on July 06, 2007, 11:03:40 PM
meanwhile, NYE 95 is way overrated in my book. there's a selection of great songs-- reba, mike's, weekapaug, yem-- but a lot of just okay ones, too, and for me the flow is never really there. what about coil? trey simply forgets what to play and plays nothing!
I think Trey stepped aside and lets Page shine in this version.  Rightfully so too.  The ending is very well played.  Page executes a series of modulations that makes the hair on my body stand up every time. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cimsm

No love for the Halleys > NICU > Slave???!!!

Edit: From 12/14/95  :wink:

mbw