Author Topic: Bought a new car...  (Read 914 times)

Offline jephrey

• Wrote the Book
  • Finch
Bought a new car...
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »
Here's the story...

It was raining mad here on Thursday...  I mean, the fox river will crest in a couple days, but it was just insane on Thurs.  Driving some roads, there were rivers about 2-6 inches deep just flowing across the street.  I went by the golf course --  every hole under water. 

I decided as I pulled into my hood that I'd go the long way around to check out the retention pond at the back of the neighborhood, which is the low point.  I get to the bottom of the hill and start towards a low spot and slow down because ahead, the street is so flooded that it's about 2 feet deep and there's no way I'm taking a Nissan Sentra through that.  I turn around and head back the way I came...  I can't go exactly the way I came because there's a traffic circle and the street is divided.  Rules say I should go around the back of the traffic circle to abide the law.  The back end of the circle is low and it always has water when it rains.  It looks deep but not terrible.  I can make it, or I think I can...  I can't.  Car stalls in the middle of 2' of water.  I'm sitting on the center console as water fills the floor up to the center console calling the wife.  I should have acted sooner, but I eventually get out and am able to push the car to dry land and I get an additional push from my neighbor to get home. (only about 1000 feet away).  Cleanup that night, I get it running but it sounds bad, bring-er in the next day and she's dead.  Went out in the afternoon and got a new car. 

I've got to sell the old one on ebay, it needs a new engine and some interior cleaning, but is otherwise in good shape.  New-ish rear rotors and brakes, newish tires and nice rims, an average Poineer stereo with iPod hookup.  I'll start the bidding at $500.  Honestly, if you have a GXE sentra, the $500 would be worth it to replace the rims/tires, but that's for a potential buyer to decide.

Here's a map...  Came in on Grand Pointe, down to the traffic circle, and onto Oak...  Corner of Oak/Walnut flooded, I turn around and have to go back to the circle where it all happened.

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline jephrey

• Wrote the Book
  • Finch
Re: Bought a new car...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:47:07 AM »
bad...  I loved the Sentra, got a lot of miles and owned it 7 years, planned on keeping it as long as possible to be able to afford something crazy for my next vehicle.

good...  I got a new Sentra  2007 Spec-V (For a Sentra, the best they come).  Yeah it's a little "Fast and Furious", but it's fun to drive.  It's a 6-speed manual, 200HP, which is a nice upgrade from 145HP.  It has an iPod hookup (just audio input) and here's the interior...  exterior to follow
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline jephrey

• Wrote the Book
  • Finch
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:57:44 AM »
other bad...  5 years of payments.

other good...  I like new cars.

Offline August

• Gamehendge
  • Miss ya, Spence.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:34:42 AM »
Looks sweet!
I helped some guy last year as I saw his (his wife's) Mercedes Wagon floating in a huge
pool of water in the middle of the road.
I picked him up and gave him a ride home.
Said his wife was gonna be piiiiiiiissed.  :-)
Enjoy your new ride, Mr. "I accidentally drove through a puddle in this car I don't want anymore".  :wink:
a

Offline Guyute

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:49:22 AM »
Nice ride, that is going to be fun.  Love the 6 speed, nice top end gear for the highway.

you gonna run brown or long grain in it?     :-D
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy bitch, I support Scotland.

Offline sophist

• Gamehendge
  • Warning: contains ergot
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »
congrats on the new car, sucks that your old one died like that. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Offline nab

• In the Band
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
Nice new ride.  Now remember, its a car, not a boat. :-P

Man we could use some of that rain.  Its only rained about a total of 15 minutes here since late June.

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
  • No Questions. Just Rawk
    • Row Knows
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:31:56 AM »
I've been called a chicken but I don't drive in standing water for that very reason. Sucks that it got yer ride.

Nice lookin new ride.

I'm going into the car market soon, I think. Something bigger, I think.

Offline VA $l!m

• INSPIRED THE F-in' BOOK
  • Lot Security
  • Gamehendge
  • Real Outcasty
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »
i love the spec v sentras.

funny thing, thats actually the car i was going to buy if i went the 'new car route'... except mine would have been the manual/automatic model (or whatver its called) with the tiptronic formula one shifters (i don't drive sticks).
of course then my car payments would have ended up twice as big or twice as long.

many congrats and enjoy bro!!

w00t! :banana:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Offline jephrey

• Wrote the Book
  • Finch
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 08:50:34 PM »
Yeah, the CVT.  I think it's slightly less expensive somehow, but on the order of only a few hundred.  The wife's Murano has it and it's sweet, but I must have stick because driving is fun and if the car shifts for you, I think that's less driving.  But it sure is nice to have a hand free to snack on something or for the phone (if that's legal where you are).  A lot of the cars I love don't even come in a manual, so in that respect, this car beats out most of my other options, and it costs about 1/3 or 1/4 the price of my "dream car", the BMW M5.  Anyhow, thanks for the kind words all, I'm enjoying it.

J

Offline slslbs

• Gamehendge
  • Let there be songs to fill the air
    • music list
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 10:44:05 PM »
have fun with the new wheels.
stay dry. :-)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Offline Buffalo Budd

• Gamehendge
  • 'Looking for owls?' the young man asked.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »
Picked up my first Subaru.
Bought a 2017 Forrester XT

Nicest car I've ever owned (Westy notwithstanding).
Stoked.

Offline antelope19

• Gamehendge
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
Congrats!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »
Sick dude....I've had a bunch of subes in the past.  Great rigs.

Offline emay

• In the Band
  • The Walrus was Page
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Nice man! Welcome to the club, rocking a subaru 2010 impreza