Author Topic: STS9...  (Read 731 times)

Offline AfterMidnight

• Chasing The Backbeat
STS9...
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:22:38 PM »
Hey,
I just got done listening to some STS9 from Feb 07. Does anyone have any suggestion on any other shows to give a listen? What do you guys think of sts9?

Thanks

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
  • Meet animals laminate 'em
Re: STS9...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »
give me a gram of molecule and I'll let you know......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

If John Medeski was my church organist I would NEVER miss a Sunday....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - Dr. Timothy Leary

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Offline CRAZYED

• Reading The Book...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 09:53:42 PM »
Tour closer from friday was just off the hook.  10/5/2007 in Madison.  Big fan here for a lot of years.  9/9/2006 from Red Rocks in my opinion is one of the finest shows they've ever played.    Get the dsbd.  You might also ask around thelowdown.org - sts9 fan forum

http://picasaweb.google.com/medlhuber/SoundTribeSector9

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:04:00 PM by CRAZYED »

Offline tehdead

• Owes Aug $20
  • Wrote the Book
  • Owes Aug $20
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 01:37:22 AM »
as well as red rocks this year
12.31.06 <- the dvd as well
and from the recent tour the 9.29.07 Nokia Theater was solid.
I owe Aug $20

Offline edemille

• Climbing The Mountain
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »
I'm quite fond of their 2000-2001 era.  Check out the HSMF late night set from 01...I think it's 01 with the sax player from the Living Daylights...wow there's some nice stuff in there.  I also just enjoyed their material more then...more improvising, more melodic, less calculated pre-programmed sequences etc.  Tunes like Circus, Baraka, Life's Sweet Breath, etc.  They don't really play those tunes much anymore...Their newer stuff is harder / darker / more beats, less melody, and I just can't dig it as much...Check out the late night Bonarroo set from 03...good luck finding a decent source however.  The show from Lupo's in Providence I believe last fall was very old school and I enjoyed it tremendously.  Their soundman leaked out a compilation from the two night run at Mishawaka 01 I think called "Best of Mishawaka".  It gets a lot of play time in my car.  I saw them two weeks ago in Northampton, MA...enjoyable show...but still can't quite get into the newer material.  I still go to see them whenever I can though.  Happy listening.

Offline tehdead

• Owes Aug $20
  • Wrote the Book
  • Owes Aug $20
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 02:44:18 PM »
Tunes like Circus, Baraka, Life's Sweet Breath, etc.  They don't really play those tunes much anymore...

i wish they would, I love those songs  :mrgreen:
I owe Aug $20

Offline edemille

• Climbing The Mountain
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »
this thread made me check out what they had available for download...and I would like to revise my "fond of" period...it really runs 2000-2003.  I forgot how fantastic some of those 02-03 shows were...religious experiences for me.  But they can still get me...they encored with Breathe In at the northampton show and the last 10 min. of the encore was one of the most emotional musical experiences I have had in a very very long time...

Offline CRAZYED

• Reading The Book...
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 08:36:54 PM »
Yeah i would agree that I really like the old stuff.  I saw them 6 times in 02, 2 of those were at High Sierra, truly an EPIC experience.  I do think the band is playing a LOT tighter today then they were back then but I just dont enjoy their newer tunes like the older.  Like the others mentioned here.......BARAKA, such a great great tune.....i dunno why they've dropped it, really a shame.  I wish murph wasnt such a ghetto ass fool too, someone needs to take the mic away from that idiot or he needs to start talking like a normal human, always a big turnoff for me when he gets on the mic.

Offline tehdead

• Owes Aug $20
  • Wrote the Book
  • Owes Aug $20
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
haha, i feel the same way. thats how he represents ATL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I owe Aug $20