News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Be Kind Rewind (new Jack Black film)

Started by mattstick, February 14, 2008, 10:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Saw a trailer last night -- looks hilarious.  Although I'll never get those 90 minutes back from Nacho Libre, this might go a long way to making me forget that film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799934/

antelope19

I saw that last night as well.  I am not nearly as optimistic as you are.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on February 14, 2008, 10:14:31 AM

Saw a trailer last night -- looks hilarious.  Although I'll never get those 90 minutes back from Nacho Libre, this might go a long way to making me forget that film.

I had couldn;t get through 20 min of Nacho Libre....but I love JB and Mos Def...

rowjimmy

Michael Gondry directed "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." One of my favorite films.

sophist

Quote from: mattstick on February 14, 2008, 10:14:31 AM

Nacho Libre def sucked, and this does look really funny imo. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mattstick

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080216/film_nm/berlin_rewind_dc

(Reuters) - Actor Jack Black stars in a comical and nostalgic tribute to the pioneers of cinema and jazz in "Be Kind Rewind," which brings the 2008 Berlin Film Festival to a fitting close on Saturday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Directed by Frenchman Michel Gondry, best known for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," the movie tells the story of two friends who try to save a dying video rental business by making their own versions of films.

Black, as exuberant on screen as ever, plays Jerry, a delusional mechanic who is convinced the authorities are using radiation to contaminate and control people's minds.

His sidekick is Mike, played by Mos Def, who works with ageing Fats Waller fan Fletcher (Danny Glover) in a rental store threatened with demolition.

When Jerry is magnetized attempting a hair-brained sabotage mission on a power station, he accidentally wipes the videos.

The pair decide the only way to save the store is to make instant versions of the erased originals, triggering a madcap race against time to remake "Ghostbusters," "Driving Miss Daisy," "Carrie," "King Kong" and many more.

As their scheme becomes increasingly successful, the local community becomes involved and unites in a final bid to save the shop with an original biopic of Fats Waller.

"I always saw Fats Waller as some punk figure of the time," Gondry told reporters.

"He was completely disrespectful ... but yet his music was very elaborate and joyful," he said, speaking in English.

"There is a sense of resistance in the way the African-American community produced some of the most beautiful music of all time by creating their own form of entertainment."

"Be Kind Rewind" recalls the "rent parties" where jazz legends like Waller and James P. Johnson would play the piano and guests would contribute money to pay the host's rent.

It also makes a gentle dig at the film studios when a representative, played by Sigourney Weaver, rounds up the re-makes, has them steamrollered on the street outside and threatens Fletcher with life in jail and a billion-dollar fine.

The irony of using a major distributor and Hollywood stars to make the film is not lost on Gondry.

"The movies itself cost a certain amount of money, it's having quite wide distribution, it has people that you would recognize, so there is a contradiction here," he said.

"It was just trying to prove somehow that people can create their entertainment.

"It all comes from the sort of utopian concept I had for long years that if people gather together among friends or neighbors and did any type of shooting they would have a great time screening it the next week and watching it together."

The movie is released later in February.

Hicks

d00ds, Michel Gondry is a bonafied genius!  I am sure his bowel movements are more compelling than "Nacho Libre". 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

hoodie22

My best friend saw it and said it was one of the worst movies shes ever seen and a complete waste of time.

However, I still want to judge for myself.

Caravan2001

Everyone I know that has seen it says it licks it....I'll still prolly netflix it though

bluecaravan521

:| What a bummer to hear that its not very good, I was looking forward to it...
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

mattstick

Quote from: bluecaravan521 on February 28, 2008, 11:14:31 PM
:| What a bummer to hear that its not very good, I was looking forward to it...

A lot of people don't get Gondry - I still believe it will be awsome.

rowjimmy

Igbo

It's a Sunday afternoon rental. It's a cute film, not really all that funny, short and it just kinds of ends on a very sweet note, like a fucking Long-Distance Telephone commercial.

RENT IT, dont pay $8.50 to see it.

camarco78

I saw this movie at at press screening, joy of working in corporate radio, and I agree the movie was not as good as I was expecting.  It had funny moments, but all in all.. it was more of a "cute film" than a comedy.

Nowhere near as bad as Nacho Libre as for a JB film, but it is more like Shallow Hal.