News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Dr. John

Started by Buffalo Budd, June 06, 2019, 07:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Another great has left the building for that jam in the sky.
I'm so glad I got to see him with the Neville Bros in 2016.
ETA. I forgot, this was in 2014 and not with the Nevilles.

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

This is the first thing I think of when I think of him. When I first saw this film, this song was probably the first time I ever truly listened to the man.

Bobafett

Aw shucks.   I'm so glad I saw him a few times.   The best I remember was when he opened for sci and we were right up front.  Dude was wearing the most awesome purple pimp suit and just laid it out.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

khalpin

Bummer....a true legend for sure.

mistercharlie

:cry:

another one gone...
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

This one hurts. Saw Mac countless times over the years... at least a dozen times at Jazzfest. I've seen him sit in with Mardi Gras Indians on the little Heritage Stage at Jazzfest. I was at the big tribute show at the Saenger with everyone and their mother sitting in. Shit, he even played Utopiafest one year.

Honestly, Gris-Gris was released in 1968. Locked Down in 2012. That's a 44 year spread between two fucking amazing albums that both get steady regular play in my ears. And there are several more in between that still blow me away on every listen. That's incredible.

He didn't play Jazzfest this year. Everyone knows he's been ill. Doesn't make it better, but I wasn't shocked to hear it.

Rest In Peace, good Dr.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 06, 2019, 11:41:22 PM

He didn't play Jazzfest this year. Everyone knows he's been ill. Doesn't make it better, but I wasn't shocked to hear it.

Even when you see the train, the whistle makes you jump.

mattstick

Sad, his Destinively Bonnaroo album gets a lot of weekend play around my house.

At Bonnaroo '03 he was the surprise guest at the Superjam and we were 3' from him. Great memories.

PIE-GUY

mopper_smurf

Damn. So glad I saw his shows in Amsterdam in 2008, 2012 (two nights in a row), and especially 2014 when he played the intimate North Sea Jazz Club.

I frist discovered his music by way of Humble Pie's "Performance Rockin' the Fillmore" album. Their version of I Walk on Guilded Splinters took up a full side on that album.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

The Dr. leaving the building as only he can...

sls.stormyrider

another legend gone, RIP

thanks for the youtubes, never did get a chance to see him.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 07, 2019, 08:34:36 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 06, 2019, 11:41:22 PM

Even when you see the train, the whistle makes you jump.

That's a phrase right there.

Little late posting on this, but yeah, this was a bummer for sure. So glad to have seen him so many times over the years. What a career. One more youtube to check out if you haven't seen it before...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Buffalo Budd

Been listening to a lot of the 1/31/99 Tipitina's show on the way to work lately.
Great setlist and playing.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.