News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016 Presidential General Election

Started by VDB, September 26, 2016, 05:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 09, 2016, 03:05:13 PM
Holy shit GAH, good on you for taking the higher road, douchebags deserved a serious beat down.

Yeah man, it's not about that tho. That wasn't the point of the story. I was more just trying to say, between that, and the experience that mbw and mattstick have had, there's definitely a heightened sense of tension and apprehension and suspicion running out there.  I think the whole election has been traumatic on the public psyche, in a way that we're going to experience the after effects of for some time.

And like I said, I've heard some stupid shit in my life, many times, since I was a kid, so you kind of learn to deal with it, because honestly, it doesn't happen that frequently. BUT as today has worn on, that incident from last week has started to bother me more. And I'll tell you why. Because last week, I brushed it off, as it being the week before the election, and people are all riled up and saying stupid shit, but next Tuesday this whole thing will be over, and it'll be behind us, and Trump and all his supporters will go back in their holes....But today, I'm more pissed about it than I was in that moment. Because last night just validated those people's experience and the reality of the world we live in and actual number of people that think and feel that way. And that my friends, is some fucking bullshit.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

gah

Quote from: DoW on November 09, 2016, 03:47:57 PM

however, do people really think that everyone who voted for Trump is an ignorant racist close minded xenophobic misogynist white trash assholes?

No, it was a joke. And a bit of irony. And a bit of venting. But yes, I am highly aware that if I thought that it would make me the same.

And yes, what a lot of people feel today is how he other half of the country felt 4 and 8 years ago. So it's not any different. Trust me DoW, I'm incredibly accepting of others opinions.

DoW

Quote from: gah on November 09, 2016, 04:00:09 PM

however, do people really think that everyone who voted for Trump is an ignorant racist close minded xenophobic misogynist white trash assholes?

No, it was a joke. And a bit of irony. And a bit of venting. But yes, I am highly aware that if I thought that it would make me the same.

And yes, what a lot of people feel today is how he other half of the country felt 4 and 8 years ago. So it's not any different. Trust me DoW, I'm incredibly accepting of others opinions.
ok.  we cool.
I used your words but I am just sick of all the opinions today.
I should have stayed away from the internet.  I just think we all need to remember that we need to understand some people have different views.  it doesn't make them better or worse than anyone else.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

gah

Quote from: DoW on November 09, 2016, 04:02:59 PM
Quote from: gah on November 09, 2016, 04:00:09 PM

ok.  we cool.
I used your words but I am just sick of all the opinions today.
I should have stayed away from the internet.  I just think we all need to remember that we need to understand some people have different views.  it doesn't make them better or worse than anyone else.

Exactly. Who knows, this could be the best thing that ever happened. Or the worse. What the fuck do we know? It all has a purpose, even if we can't see or understand that with our finite minds. Maybe this was just in response to Obama, and the others halfs way of being inspired, and to do something to have their voices heard. And in turn, and in response to Trump, some really amazing people are going to step up their game in the coming years and be inspired to do some really great things that will actually heal what is becoming a more and more divided country. Or not. Like I said, who the fuck knows.

mbw

All of them?  No.  But a hell of a lot of them!

DoW

Quote from: mbw on November 09, 2016, 04:18:41 PM

sorry, but that is just ignorant.  I really don't have any nicer way of saying it.

mattstick

If your tax rate is more important to you than supporting bigots and racists, you're also a racist. It's basic math.

DoW

Quote from: mattstick on November 09, 2016, 04:32:32 PM
If your tax rate is more important to you than supporting bigots and racists, you're also a racist. It's basic math.
this statement makes absolutely zero sense to me.

PIE-GUY

can't bite my tongue anymore.
I did not vote for trump.  If I had to rank each and every candidate including everyone in the primaries, he'd be at the bottom of my list.  not only because of things he says, but also because he has no experience, does not have the personality to work with either party, etc.

if so, you are no better than the people you are criticizing.
accept the fact that people rank issues differently and even though I most likely disagree, some people may feel like trump may address those issues better than the other candidates.

we do have more than one party in this country.  people in this thread only care about what THEY feel is correct and don't care about the rest of the population.  just because someone has a different view than you doesn't mean they are an ignorant racist close minded xenophobic misogynist white trash asshole.

In no way do I think that every - or even the majority of - Trump voters are racist, ignorant, xenophobic, misogynistic, etc.

However, I DO think that Trump is a xenophobic, racist, misogynistic asshole... and those who voted for him are basically saying "that's ok with me," because at least he's not another in a long line of the same.

Look, the biggest issue I had with Clinton is that had she been elected and served even just one term we would be looking at 32 of the last 40 years with either a Bush or a Clinton in the White House (including the first Bush's VP terms). If she served 2 terms and that would be 36 of the last 44... and people were already calling on Michelle to run... if Clinton served two terms followed by Michelle for two terms, that would be 52 straight years with three families represented in the executive branch of our government. That's fucking unAmerican.

I voted for Clinton. I would do it again. I think she would have made a great president. There is no doubt in my mind. But it's icky to go Bush->Clinton->Bush->Obama->Clinton->Obama.

Still, the fact remains that we legitimized a fucktard racist misogynist xenophobic asshole... and those who voted for him legitimized that level of bullshit whether they fall into any of those buckets or not.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PGLHAH on November 09, 2016, 04:47:57 PM
can't bite my tongue anymore.
I did not vote for trump.  If I had to rank each and every candidate including everyone in the primaries, he'd be at the bottom of my list.  not only because of things he says, but also because he has no experience, does not have the personality to work with either party, etc.

if so, you are no better than the people you are criticizing.
accept the fact that people rank issues differently and even though I most likely disagree, some people may feel like trump may address those issues better than the other candidates.

we do have more than one party in this country.  people in this thread only care about what THEY feel is correct and don't care about the rest of the population.  just because someone has a different view than you doesn't mean they are an ignorant racist close minded xenophobic misogynist white trash asshole.

In no way do I think that every - or even the majority of - Trump voters are racist, ignorant, xenophobic, misogynistic, etc.

However, I DO think that Trump is a xenophobic, racist, misogynistic asshole... and those who voted for him are basically saying "that's ok with me," because at least he's not another in a long line of the same.

Look, the biggest issue I had with Clinton is that had she been elected and served even just one term we would be looking at 32 of the last 40 years with either a Bush or a Clinton in the White House (including the first Bush's VP terms). If she served 2 terms and that would be 36 of the last 44... and people were already calling on Michelle to run... if Clinton served two terms followed by Michelle for two terms, that would be 52 straight years with three families represented in the executive branch of our government. That's fucking unAmerican.

I voted for Clinton. I would do it again. I think she would have made a great president. There is no doubt in my mind. But it's icky to go Bush->Clinton->Bush->Obama->Clinton->Obama.

Still, the fact remains that we legitimized a fucktard racist misogynist xenophobic asshole... and those who voted for him legitimized that level of bullshit whether they fall into any of those buckets or not.

well stated.

DoW

I'm embarrassed to admit that I decided to choose not to vote for a President this time around.  I voted on everything else.  my choice is definitely the wrong answer but I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the 4 choices.  my opinion was that Clinton was the only of the 4 that had the qualifications and capable of being a President, but in my opinion she would have been a horrible President.  I have no idea what Trump will do.  I think we're playing with house money if he is close to being adequate.  it's a sad situation.

I'm just against the notion of demeaning anyone because of who they voted for.  I'm not sure why anyone would vote for him, but that is their right.  I just think some of the opinions on here are what causes so much hate in this country/world. 
I have friends who voted for Trump.  I may disagree with them on a political level in this case, but I don't think any less of them as people or friends.

eta:  I still know not voting is wrong, but I need to add that I live in a state that there is not even the hint of a question would vote blue.  I'm not sure how I would have handled it if I lived in a state like NH or any battleground state.

mbw

Quote from: DoW on November 09, 2016, 04:20:37 PM

sorry, but that is just ignorant.  I really don't have any nicer way of saying it.

And that is just naive.

VDB

Quote from: DoW on November 09, 2016, 04:20:37 PM

Depends on how you define "a hell of a lot." Dozens? Of course. Hundreds? Definitely. Thousands? I'm sure. Millions? Who knows.

And I say this agreeing with you 100% that there are any number of reasons to support Trump that don't have to have anything to do with his abundant character flaws. (I'd have to speculate, since no such reason would be my own.) I've been trying to say this all election season to friends of mine as they struggled to understand Trump's appeal, or just chalked it up to regular old red-neckery. Oh, and you'd better believe there are tons of people out there who hate the ever-loving shit out of Hillary. I'm quite sure a great many of Trump's votes were cast reluctantly.
Is this still Wombat?

ytowndan

At the end of the day, if you voted for a racist xenophobe, regardless of your beliefs or intent, your actions were still racist and xenophobic.  Because the end result is the same thing.  You've legitimized and endorsed a racist xenophobe and, because of your actions, people will suffer. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VDB

Quote from: ytowndan on November 09, 2016, 05:18:14 PM
At the end of the day, if you voted for a racist xenophobe, regardless of your beliefs or intent, your actions were still racist and xenophobic.  Because the end result is the same thing.  You've legitimized and endorsed a racist xenophobe and, because of your actions, people will suffer. 

Betcha you'd find plenty of people rationalizing a Trump vote by downplaying the significance of some of his more incendiary comments. Or suggesting they came from good intentions (e.g. reducing terrorism or promoting American jobs). Fact is there were still very large policy differences between Trump and Clinton, and obviously a whole lot of people were unwilling to ignore those just to keep a boor of Trump's magnitude out of the White House.
Is this still Wombat?