News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10 Worst Oscar Best Pictures

Started by mattstick, February 18, 2010, 02:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellerb

I still get teary-eyed at certain points in forrest, forrest gump.  Luckily, I was in middle school and missed the "be stupid and succeed at life" subtext when it first came out.  At the time, we were too busy doing hilarious impressions of all the catchphrases and pissing off our teachers.

"She tasted like CIG A rettes, Lt. Da-an"

"Jen-nay, I think you should come home to GreeNBOW ALABAMA!"

"Lt. Dan, you got new legs!"

"Sorry I ruined your Black Panther Party"

etc., etc.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 18, 2010, 08:26:34 PM
Gladiator is the worst.

People who didn't like Forrest Gump are dumber than Forrest is.

Seriously? Forest Gump is the worst excuse for a movie ever... It is designed to tap into every little stupid heart-string of every American who lived through all those events while never adding insight into any of it. I really do see it as a drawn out version of "We Didn't Start the Fire." Tom Hanks is a great actor, don't get me wrong. Philadelphia is genius. But Forest Gump is the shallowest piece of shit movie I have ever seen...
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

fauxpaxfauxreal

I didn't think the message was "be stupid and succeed at life", I thought the message was "Be true and humble and succeed at life". 

It wasn't stupidity that was Forrest's saving grace, it was his humility and good morals.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 18, 2010, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 18, 2010, 08:26:34 PM
Gladiator is the worst.

People who didn't like Forrest Gump are dumber than Forrest is.

Seriously? Forest Gump is the worst excuse for a movie ever... It is designed to tap into every little stupid heart-string of every American who lived through all those events while never adding insight into any of it. I really do see it as a drawn out version of "We Didn't Start the Fire." Tom Hanks is a great actor, don't get me wrong. Philadelphia is genius. But Forest Gump is the shallowest piece of shit movie I have ever seen...

We saw two completely different movies.  I'm sorry you're so jaded about it.  I loved it and still do.  It's a valid winner.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 18, 2010, 09:24:10 PM
I didn't think the message was "be stupid and succeed at life", I thought the message was "Be true and humble and succeed at life". 

It wasn't stupidity that was Forrest's saving grace, it was his humility and good morsels.

fixed your post.

Hicks

The contrast between the Forrest and Jenny characters is quite telling.

Forrest just drifts along mindlessly and lucks into fame and fortune.

Jenny on the other hand questions authority, protests the war, and experiments with drugs/alternative lifestyles.

What happens to Jenny?  She dies. 

Yeah, great message there.

Shakespeare in Love is most definitely nothing more than a cheesy rom-com with fancy costumes.  I'd give When Harry Met Sally a best picture Oscar before it any day of the week. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on February 18, 2010, 09:42:09 PM
The contrast between the Forrest and Jenny characters is quite telling.

Forrest just drifts along mindlessly and lucks into fame and fortune.

Jenny on the other hand questions authority, protests the war, and experiments with drugs/alternative lifestyles.

What happens to Jenny?  She dies. 

Yeah, great message there.

Jenny only questions authority and experiments with drugs and alternative lifestyles in order to rebel for rebellions sake.  She spends the entire movie running away from stability. 

Forrest on the other hand has an excellent heart and spends the entire movie living his moral code.  Why does he go running, is it to make a point?  Nope.  He just felt like going for a run.

Does Forrest ever condemn Jenny for her decisions?  No.  He doesn't understand why she makes her decisions, but he never thinks ill of her for making her decisions.

Forrest Gump is a great movie.

kellerb

Let's not repeat the standard forrest gump fight, everyone.  If you need to, refer to google for many variations on it.  Our own search button probably has a couple in there.

Hicks

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on July 30, 2007, 05:22:04 PM
Today I hate the fact that Jenny dies of aids (in the movie Forrest Gump).
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on February 18, 2010, 10:13:25 PM

This is where PIE-GUY gets lost - I just don't have the history around here like you fools... I mean, I don't even know who Rich was!!  :oops:

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 18, 2010, 10:25:25 PM
Quote from: Hicks on February 18, 2010, 10:13:25 PM

This is where PIE-GUY gets lost - I just don't have the history around here like you fools... I mean, I don't even know who Rich was!!  :oops:

I don't understand it either.  I think he's trying to call me stupid by saying that I am Forest Gump?

sls.stormyrider

Just googled nominees from a few years.
Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful  :-o
those were both outrageous films

Forrest Gump's competition wasn't quite as good: "Four Weddings and a Funeral," "Pulp Fiction," "Quiz Show," "The Shawshank Redemption."
for my $, Pulp Fiction, or even Shawshank were stronger.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

fauxpaxfauxreal

If Pulp Fiction had won, I think it would have been a bad choice.  I think that Shawshank was good, but it wasn't as good as Forrest Gump.  Nobody was disappointed in 1994 when Forrest won.

PIE-GUY

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 20, 2010, 11:02:12 AM
Don't get me started.. Don't even get me started.

I think any movie that features solely innapropriate viewing matter is a bad choice to win the "best picture" oscar.  It did deserve "best director" honors, however.

The Shawshank Redemption is as cheesy and button pushy as Forrest Gump is in my view, but Forrest Gump was classier and more well done.

I challenge you to find articles from Spring of 1995 arguing that Forrest Gump is a bad choice, I think you'll find it hard to do.