News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R17/W01 1997-07-29 Desert Sky Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ

Started by sophist, January 09, 2014, 12:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

Quote from: mbw on January 19, 2014, 05:00:10 PM
Quote from: pcr3 on January 19, 2014, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: justjezmund on January 19, 2014, 10:37:31 AM
Quote from: twatts on January 18, 2014, 09:47:29 PM
Flu has been killing me...  I feel better but have no energy except to drool in front of the TV... 

Kick me out, or let me turn in my reviews in a couple of days...  Whatever...

Terry

pretty sure this edition of show club has no rules. get well.

I can just post a new show and we can move Terry to the end of the line. Ramz?

I don't think he even understands that he is supposed to pick/post a show....

I picked one out...  You all can start listening to it if you want:  2/21/1997...  I've reviewed the first set last night, but still need to do set II...  I'll post my "report" tomorrow... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mbw

Quote from: twatts on January 19, 2014, 06:37:16 PM
Flu has been killing me...  I feel better but have no energy except to drool in front of the TV... 

Terry

I picked one out...  You all can start listening to it if you want:  2/21/1997...  I've reviewed the first set last night, but still need to do set II...  I'll post my "report" tomorrow... 

Terry

that show has already been reviewed and is thereby ineligible. 

justjezmund

Terry

Terry

Shows already been done.  Heres the list of shows already reviewed.
http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=13628.0
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

twatts

Quote from: justjezmund on January 19, 2014, 06:44:56 PM

Terry

Terry

Shows already been done.  Heres the list of shows already reviewed.
http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=13628.0

DOH!!!  I guess I'll have to pick another later then... Since it's ready to go:  7/3/1997... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

WhatstheUse?

I dig that pick. I don't ever hear that show talked about since it's pretty overshadowed by the Amsterdamn run.
Bring in the dude!

twatts

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 19, 2014, 07:59:17 PM
I dig that pick. I don't ever hear that show talked about since it's pretty overshadowed by the Amsterdamn run.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever listened to the show...  At least not until a couple of weeks ago when I transferred Aldo's Masters...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

emay

Set 2:
Olivia's Pool - Dig this as an opener. kicks off the set with some energy. standard version, wish they would bring it back in 3.0 :wtu:
Run Like an Antelope > here we go! weird vocal thing in the beginning. band is gettin loose. super tight intro. crowd is loving it. trey hits some nice high notes. great work from trey. missed start but they get it whippin. lope gets groovin. nice use of effects by trey. space lope coming thru. love this tone for trey. he def takes the driver seat in this. him and fish carry it. page and mike not far behind. trey brings in the funk and mike puts some legs on this jam. full on face melting shreddage on this one. multiple peaks. kills. rai rai rocko funk this space is gettin hot.
Wading in the Velvet Sea, - meh, yeah.
Twist -> trey is eager toget back into the funk you can hear him messin with some wah and other effects during the 'wouldnt twist around' section. then this jam just get nasty right out the gate. nice crazy delay jam. creeps comin, goose bumps, head explodes, but a theme and notes are still being played in this ingalactic noise cloud. its still moving. calms to spce and then
Taste - nice placement, good execution, still high on the twist.
Sample in a Jar - nice energy booster.
Rocky Top - time to get dancin! nice bluegrass in this jammy set.
The Squirming Coil - solid closer. love coil and its a great closer. mind would be fried after seeing this set, a coil would soothe the soul and mind after this scorcher, and it does so nicely.

Encore: Possum - solid encore. after this show, what do you expect?
B+

Caravan2001

Set 1:

Theme From the Bottom:  Like this as an opener.  Great version.
Beauty of My Dreams: Excellent version.  Love the pace.  Vocals are clear and solo is hot too.
Gumbo: My fave version of this song and alos my show highlight.  This is the goods.
Dirt: I always like this song.  This version is no exception.
Sparkle: yep.
Ghost: Surprising in this slot.  Solid effort, great jam.  Love the way it drops into:
Swept Away > Steep:  I love this combo.  Glad they don't play it too much.  This is typical '97 goodness.
Loving Cup:  I like the unpredictablity of this set as far as song placement goes.  This is a decent version too.  Great first set IMO.

Back to review the second set shortly.

Caravan2001

Set 2:
Olivia's Pool: Pretty cool for a 2.5 minute opener.  Not a lot going on, but a short and sweet warm up.
Run Like an Antelope:  This is a meaty Antelope.  Sure, there are a lot of flubs but the jam gets out there.  Can't remember the last 20 minute Antelope.  I love when it starts to get spacey around the 8 minute mark.
Wading in the Velvet Sea:  I did't like this track back during this time, but I like it more now.  Not my first choice but they do decent job with it. Changes pace of the show for sure, and not in a good way imo.  Trey's solo at the end is tasty though.
Twist:  This has some great parts too.  They go off the rails a couple times and lose focus but they are trying.  Gets kind of disjointed but they are hooked up for the most part.  Another set highlight.  I like the way the melt into Taste.
Taste: A pretty solid version.  Picks up some steam.  Is there a Lone Ranger tease in there?  Trey is burning through the solo.  Some nice wah work. Clean ending.

Sample in a Jar: Bad slot for this song but could be a worse song.
Rocky Top:  A good version.  Summer 97 has some of my fave Rocky Tops and Uncle Pen's believe it or not.....
The Squirming Coil: Great version.  Trey and Page at the end is another set highlight for me.  Trey should have stayed out longer.  Page stretches it a minute or so longer than he should have but there is some nice Bill Payne-esque stuff going on.  A nice way to close the set.

Encore:
Possum : A rocking version of one of my favorite encores.  If you don't like teh Possum, you need to have your ears checked.

All in all a solid show.  Typical Summer 97 with a few highlights (Gumbo).  Good pick, I enjoyed listening.  I give it a Bee.....