News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Impeachment

Started by bluecaravan521, June 11, 2008, 06:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecaravan521

Looks like Dennis finally pushed it through.

QuoteKucinich introduces Bush impeachment resolution

* Story Highlights
    * House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says she will not support the senator's resolution
    * Kucinich contends that the president manufactured a false case for the war
    * The senator introduced a resolution last year to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Dennis Kucinich, a former Democratic presidential candidate from Ohio, introduced a resolution to impeach President Bush into the House of Representatives on Tuesday.

Kucinich announced his intention to seek Bush's impeachment Monday night, when he read the lengthy document into the record.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has repeatedly said she would not support a resolution calling for Bush's impeachment, saying such a move was unlikely to succeed and would be divisive.

Most of the congressman's resolution deals with the Iraq war, contending that the president manufactured a false case for the war, violated U.S. and international law to invade Iraq, failed to provide troops with proper equipment and falsified casualty reports for political purposes.

Kucinich also charges that Bush has illegally detained without charge both U.S. citizens and "foreign captives" and violated numerous U.S. laws through the use of "signing statements" declaring his intention to do so.

Other articles address global warming, voting rights, Medicare, the response to Hurricane Katrina and failure to comply with congressional subpoenas.

Last year, Kucinich introduced a resolution to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney. But in November when Republicans tried to force a debate on the move, the attempt failed. Democrats voted to send the resolution to the House Judiciary Committee, where committee chairman Rep. John Conyers has taken no action on it.

An earlier resolution to impeach Cheney has languished in the House Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties since May 2007.

The House of Representatives has voted to impeach two presidents -- Andrew Johnson, in 1868, and Bill Clinton, in 1999 -- but both were acquitted by the Senate and remained in office. No U.S. vice president has been impeached.

Kucinich dropped out of the race for the Democratic nomination for president in January to focus on his re-election bid in Ohio. He handily won the Democratic primary in his district on March 4 and faces former State Representative Jim Trakas in the general election.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

rowjimmy

Quote from: bluecaravan521 on June 11, 2008, 06:44:07 AM
Looks like Dennis finally pushed it through.

QuoteKucinich introduces Bush impeachment resolution

* Story Highlights
    * House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says she will not support the senator's resolution
    * Kucinich contends that the president manufactured a false case for the war
    * The senator introduced a resolution last year to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Dennis Kucinich, a former Democratic presidential candidate from Ohio, introduced a resolution to impeach President Bush into the House of Representatives on Tuesday.

Kucinich announced his intention to seek Bush's impeachment Monday night, when he read the lengthy document into the record.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has repeatedly said she would not support a resolution calling for Bush's impeachment, saying such a move was unlikely to succeed and would be divisive.

Most of the congressman's resolution deals with the Iraq war, contending that the president manufactured a false case for the war, violated U.S. and international law to invade Iraq, failed to provide troops with proper equipment and falsified casualty reports for political purposes.

Kucinich also charges that Bush has illegally detained without charge both U.S. citizens and "foreign captives" and violated numerous U.S. laws through the use of "signing statements" declaring his intention to do so.

Other articles address global warming, voting rights, Medicare, the response to Hurricane Katrina and failure to comply with congressional subpoenas.

Last year, Kucinich introduced a resolution to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney. But in November when Republicans tried to force a debate on the move, the attempt failed. Democrats voted to send the resolution to the House Judiciary Committee, where committee chairman Rep. John Conyers has taken no action on it.

An earlier resolution to impeach Cheney has languished in the House Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties since May 2007.

The House of Representatives has voted to impeach two presidents -- Andrew Johnson, in 1868, and Bill Clinton, in 1999 -- but both were acquitted by the Senate and remained in office. No U.S. vice president has been impeached.

Kucinich dropped out of the race for the Democratic nomination for president in January to focus on his re-election bid in Ohio. He handily won the Democratic primary in his district on March 4 and faces former State Representative Jim Trakas in the general election.

While I applaud his intent; his is merely a symbolic gesture that will go nowhere.

bluecaravan521

Hopefully at the very least it will get actually voted upon, instead of going to committee and dying.  I have little doubt, however, that this president will have to face judgment for his crimes, whether or not that comes during his presidency.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: bluecaravan521 on June 11, 2008, 05:15:34 PM
Hopefully at the very least it will get actually voted upon, instead of going to committee and dying.  I have little doubt, however, that this president will have to face judgment for his crimes, whether or not that comes during his presidency.
no doubt.

of course, if the process were to go forward, and they vote W out of office, we get Cheney :|

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 11, 2008, 07:57:47 AM

While I applaud his intent; his is merely a symbolic gesture that will go nowhere.

QFAT (quoted for absolute truth)
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

That's true, it will go nowhere.

Kucinich has already (twice) pushed through legislation to impeach Cheney.

Check out H.R. 333.

rowjimmy

Bush will never answer any legal authority for his crimes upon humanity...
Sad but true.

ytowndan

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 11, 2008, 07:43:00 PM
Bush will never answer any legal authority for his crimes upon humanity...
Sad but true.

Agreed. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

no legal authority

but history will not judge him kindly. and he's young enough that he will be around to hear it again and again and be tortured by it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Quote from: slslbs on June 11, 2008, 11:10:54 PM
no legal authority

but history will not judge him kindly. and he's young enough that he will be around to hear it again and again and be tortured by it.

Agreed on the history point, but in order for Bush to be tortured he must have a conscience and I'm not so sure about that.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

thechad

Quote from: Hicks on June 12, 2008, 12:19:47 AM
no legal authority

Agreed on the history point, but in order for Bush to be tortured he must have a conscience and I'm not so sure about that.

Or care.  :|
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

rowjimmy

no legal authority

Zactly.
Bush thinks he's right and turns a blind eye & deaf ear to anyone who says otherwise.

He will die like Columbus; thinking he found the route to Asia.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 12, 2008, 07:55:58 AM
no legal authority

Zactly.
Bush thinks he's right and turns a blind eye & deaf ear to anyone who says otherwise.

I don't even think that Bush thinks he's right... he knows that he gets White House China, White House Towels, Invites to the Presidential Functions, the knowledge that his official address at one time was 1600 Pennsylvania, memories of meeting with foreign dignitaries, not to mention all types of cool snapshots.

Also, he'll never get over the feeling of walking into a room and having everyone either salute or nod in his direction.

I don't think he's in denial as to where his place in the immediate history of the U.S. is... the knowledge that he always will be the 43rd President of these United States of America is enough to offset any guilt that anyone (including himself) does or does not believe that he deserves.

I'm not defending his policies by any means, however, I do remember CNN informing me that over half of those polled agreed that invading Iraq was a proper course of action in 2002/2003.

He was very very Democratic about his Republican policies.  While he manipulated data, anyone with half a brain (i.e. me...) knew at the time that the war in Iraq was not about Iraq's ability to invade or attack anyone else (much less the U.S.).  While the data was manipulated, most of us could plainly see that the data was manipulated when we were polled as to whether or not invading Iraq was proper.

I, myself, do not blame George for following consensus.  Perhaps you do...  I blamed him at the time.  I no longer do, I blame the consensus.

Hicks

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 12, 2008, 09:32:19 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 12, 2008, 07:55:58 AM
no legal authority

Zactly.

I don't even think that Bush thinks he's right... he knows that he gets White House China, White House Towels, Invites to the Presidential Functions, the knowledge that his official address at one time was 1600 Pennsylvania, memories of meeting with foreign dignitaries, not to mention all types of cool snapshots.

Also, he'll never get over the feeling of walking into a room and having everyone either salute or nod in his direction.

I don't think he's in denial as to where his place in the immediate history of the U.S. is... the knowledge that he always will be the 43rd President of these United States of America is enough to offset any guilt that anyone (including himself) does or does not believe that he deserves.

I'm not defending his policies by any means, however, I do remember CNN informing me that over half of those polled agreed that invading Iraq was a proper course of action in 2002/2003.

He was very very Democratic about his Republican policies.  While he manipulated data, anyone with half a brain (i.e. me...) knew at the time that the war in Iraq was not about Iraq's ability to invade or attack anyone else (much less the U.S.).  While the data was manipulated, most of us could plainly see that the data was manipulated when we were polled as to whether or not invading Iraq was proper.

I, myself, do not blame George for following consensus.  Perhaps you do...  I blamed him at the time.  I no longer do, I blame the consensus.

Sticking with the Iraq example, what about when the consensus changed in 2005?  That was three years ago!