News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Started by jephrey, May 17, 2008, 03:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

I did Europe and Summer!

I'll be trying to button up 95 and 96 in the next couple weeks and I also want to work on some song pages...  Not much more to go, then it's mostly filler.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

drvinestein

jephrey

The best thing about this... Check out my post time.  Granted I'm central so it was only 2:51, but I'm burning this candle at both ends and in the middle.  It's going to be cool to say that we have all the setlists in and that wikipaug can be a valuable resource for everyone, as well as easy to make corrections and additions.  I'll get back to songs soon.  I have a method for both that makes them go pretty fast.  There's only a bit of text I have to type and format, but my little program takes care of much of the work.  I still have to get these apps to you doctor, or you could buy a mac and make it easier on me - as well as help the stock price increase (as I am an owner of .0000079 % of the company of Apple).

I'm glad you wrote in this forum.  I haven't touched the wiki in a while, but I'm finding that although it's tedious, when there's an end in sight, it's not too tough.

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

problem is, the new Mac Office 2008 just got rid of VBA support...  i can no longer even use your app as an option!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

but you heard vba is coming back in 2012 right?  :roll:

I have standalone apps.  Were you still using an old one I did in excel?

jephrey

so here's the deal, these may not be totally intuitive, but you can keep changing what you put in to see what comes out.  There are at least some instructions on the setlist helper, but not much on the song helper.  And the song helper, one of the input fields becomes an output and erases your input.  This is very un-mac, but I'm too lazy to make things perfect here.  I just wanted something to make it easier and I didn't want to spend too much time on it.  I can give detailed instructions on how I use both, but now is not the time.  The wife is putting on a movie and my presence is requested.

tet

Quote from: jephrey on May 17, 2008, 09:02:17 PM
but you heard vba is coming back in 2012 right?  :roll:

I have standalone apps.  Were you still using an old one I did in excel?

yes, and yes...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

drvinestein

I agree.  It's cool to be able to see an end in sight.  I'm really going to try and work through the 80's and meet you somewhere in the 90's.

Don't worry about the app.  I can tap pretty quick on this keyboard, so blasting those setlists out isn't that hard.  Toughest part is going through TPCV2/db.etree and making sure everything fits and all the notes aren't plagiarized!

When we do get all the setlists done, I'll try to start putting a dent in the songs, but I'm not touching the stats.  No sir!

jephrey

stats are going to be difficult for earlier shows, but whatever...  you have to not include schecks etc in the stats and a lot of setlists are incomplete.  But I guess we do the best we can.

drvinestein

Plus, if a new to circ show or setlist comes out then every song and all stats related to the performance need to be updated.  :-o

Oh well.  I'm gonna go bang out a couple of setlists....

jephrey

Well we have something going for us...  As far as stats go, I'm not sure how many setlists are incomplete and I'd guess close to none in the 1990-2004 range.  Once entered for those years, no problem. 

For early years, we'll have to have in the instructions that if you have or enter a setlist that doesn't exist or is incomplete, you only have to do a couple things.

1.  Check each song for last time played...  At the early shows when the repertoire wasn't as big, these are going to be few and far between and in most cases the song was played a couple nights before.  This is just to do the notes on the setlist page, for the "cinderella men" section of the stats, as well as the most times played etc section of the stats.  You'll have to look at it for each song.  This isn't a huge deal.  It's a new setlist and those don't come around often and doing the research can be fun.

2.  If the show wasn't documented, that changes the number of shows and so on.  It also changes the gap between a song played before and after the show.  This may never happen.  Hopefully, we at least have placeholders.  Again, finding a gem like this may be worth the trouble.

3.  For every song in the setlist, you have to go to that song's page and enter the line and up the number of times played.  That's not as hard as it seems.  That will go quick.

For the most part, it'll be an easy change if there's a placeholder, we just have to give it due diligence and cover all the BS.  If it's a "new" unheard of show, then it'll be way more tedious, but I think they'll be far enough in between that it won't be a biggie.

rowjimmy

Quote from: jephrey on May 17, 2008, 08:21:19 PM
  It's going to be cool to say that we have all the setlists in and that wikipaug can be a valuable resource for everyone, as well as easy to make corrections and additions.  I'll get back to songs soon.

Thought I'd chime in to say that, although I don't actively edit, I do try to use the wiki as a reference. I also have my dat list setup to link to the wiki (as well db.etree for sources.)

Keep up the great work, guys!

jephrey

good to hear.  I hope that outsiders will also start to reference it and use it and edit it and add to it.  I think it's still a bit incomplete to be taken seriously.  The least we could do is have all setlists and songs entered > people take it seriously and begin usage > blossom(not including the girl on tv)

rowjimmy

jephrey

See edited post.