News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

OS X Yosemite

Started by rowjimmy, September 28, 2014, 11:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Anyone get with the beta for Yosemite?
I signed up but never installed it until tonight (installation is completing now but I'm going to bed). Now that iOS 8 is here, I'm ready for the integrations...

Any thoughts?

PhishJY

I upgraded over the weekend & love it.

Now that you've had it for almost a month, how's it working out long term?
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

mattstick

Been a bit behind, hoping to update all my machines Thursday/Friday.

rowjimmy

Definitely digging it.

Still just scraping the surface but it is surprisingly as good if not better performance-wise on my 2009 mbp.

sls.stormyrider

that's good to know.
I went straight from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and felt that my 2010 MBP got a bit muddy at times
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jedifunk

using it at work and loving it... gotta dump some things on my laptop before i can install it there, but thats fine since i'm getting my iphone 6 next week and will do it all at the same time!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

I'm having a bit of an issue with the iTunes logo being red now.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on October 22, 2014, 11:49:38 AM

I'm having a bit of an issue with the iTunes logo being red now.

You don't have to go to Yosemite to see that.

I'm cool with it.

mattstick

Yeah, I didn't know where else to note that...

mattstick

It's about time they started merging iOS and OS X elements.  First impression of Yosemite is very positive. 

I haven't been able to use my Mac to make phone calls through my iPhone though, it keeps giving me a Call Failed message.

VDB

Got around to upgrading my MBP today. Some of the aesthetic elements may take some getting used to. I like the menus, and the font is fine, but some things are (for the moment at least) striking me as too flat, and/or too soft, and/or too gradient-y. I thought Mavericks was already perfectly good looking. The new Finder icon is terrible.

I have resisted for a while now this notion of letting iOS drive design evolution with OS X taking its cues from that rather than the other way around or some kind of more parallel approach. I don't know, maybe it's because iPhones were always intended to please a wider audience than just Mac enthusiasts (and therefore are they trying to make OS X more approachable for new people?), or because it seems to diminish the desktop's place and role in defining what Apple has been and is, or because I just get cranky and set in my ways, or what.

But I do agree that harmonizing the design of the two OSes ultimately makes sense in several respects.

Certainly it still works and looks better than that (P)OS Windows 7 I have to use at work every day.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

is it a significant improvement over what you had?
how is performance?
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PhishJY

Quote from: slslbs on November 24, 2014, 08:22:55 PM
is it a significant improvement over what you had?
how is performance?

For me (2012 MBP), I don't know that I've noticed any improvement.  Performance appears to be roughly the same.  One thing I have noticed is if I open it up (to bring it out of standby) while it's plugged in, it takes slightly less time before it's usable.  Other than that, nothing special to speak of for me.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

sls.stormyrider

You folks running Yosemite - how much RAM do you have.

I noticed a slowdown when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks (2010 MbP). I had everything checked out and was told that if I upgraded from 4 to 8 GB of RAM my problems would be solved.

it makes sense, just wanted to check with others

mattstick