News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1TB for $400

Started by whyweigh5.0, January 24, 2007, 11:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

Hitachi bought out IBM's hard drive division, which was an original pioneer in the market but whose quality slipped late in the game.  Hitachi has improved it a bit since, and they stand by their warranty pretty well.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

whyweigh5.0

haha, oops... I forgot to add the link.  Fixed it
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

ytowndan

I never even looked into a HD of this size because I figured it would be WAY more than that...I'd love to have space like that as a secondary back-up, and for more easy access for seeding (not that I even have a TB worth of show yet, but for the future).  Any recommendations?  Dose anybody here have a HD this large?
Dan
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

whyweigh5.0

I would have to think the manufacturer was very trustworthy to store that much on their product.  I can't imagine how mad I would be if I lost that much data

I would feel more comfortable with say... 4 250gig drives linked together
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

nab

Quote from: whyweigh2.0 on January 24, 2007, 11:57:33 PM
I would have to think the manufacturer was very trustworthy to store that much on their product.  I can't imagine how mad I would be if I lost that much data

I would feel more comfortable with say... 4 250gig drives linked together

Archive, Archive, Archive

It would however make seeding a lot easier.

Caravan2001

I've got 2 500's, 2 250's, a 150 and a 200 all linked up, and pretty full...need something else but don't know what to do.  I would like to dump them all on to a couple 1TB drives and have them as back up, btu maybe I should just archive my phish and dead to DVD, but that is over a TB worth of stuff and would take forever.  Plus, I want it available all the time without having to find a disc somewhere....I have all Lacie...they get awful reviews at apple.com, but   I have not had a prob yet (crosses fingers)...

August

Staples had a sale on Black FRiday for WD 500 gb externals for $99.
i would hold off on this drive, since prices of HD are always dropping.
you might want to invest in a smaller drive, and archive on DVD.
a

nab

Quote from: august on January 25, 2007, 09:22:25 AM
Staples had a sale on Black FRiday for WD 500 gb externals for $99.
i would hold off on this drive, since prices of HD are always dropping.
you might want to invest in a smaller drive, and archive on DVD.
a

Damn, I wish I would have gotten in on that.

August

you figure 2 spindles of 100pk DVD's run you about $50 total.
total space=940 gb, which is pretty close to what a 1tb drive is with its OS.
a

tet

Quote from: august on January 25, 2007, 12:20:29 PM
you figure 2 spindles of 100pk DVD's run you about $50 total.
total space=940 gb, which is pretty close to what a 1tb drive is with its OS.
a

and how much time would it take you to burn those 100 DVDs??  copying to a hard drive, especially over something like Serial ATA, would be an exponentially less amount of time. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

August

Quote from: tet on January 25, 2007, 12:32:52 PM
and how much time would it take you to burn those 100 DVDs??  copying to a hard drive, especially over something like Serial ATA, would be an exponentially less amount of time. 

well, if he's gonna be archiving, he's gonna be backing up on DVD (i hope).
all i'm saying is $400 is too much for 1 TB.
a

PhishJY

Quote from: caravan2001 on January 25, 2007, 01:39:11 AM
...I've got 2 500's, 2 250's, a 150 and a 200 all linked up...

How do you have them hooked up?  I assume that you're running RAID, and if so, what type of RAID?
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: august on January 25, 2007, 12:34:19 PM
well, if he's gonna be archiving, he's gonna be backing up on DVD (i hope).
all i'm saying is $400 is too much for 1 TB.
a
would it make sense to partition the drive and have one of the partitions be a duplicate for back up?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PhishJY

Quote from: slslbs on January 26, 2007, 04:13:42 PM
would it make sense to partition the drive and have one of the partitions be a duplicate for back up?

No.  The reason is because both partitions are on the same drive.  If the drive dies, you won't be able to access either partition.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?