News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R14/W03: 08-16-1997 The Great Went, Loring Air Force Base, Limestone, ME

Started by Buffalo Budd, December 12, 2011, 06:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Great weekend.
Only did Starlake that Summer, so I was pumped to hear more of the new tunes.
My first time riding the rail was for this first set and I was a little too out of my mind.
Mike was shaking my core and I started focusing a little too much on where he was playing on the low B string and praying that he wouldn't go low on the neck.
Anyway....

Makisupa - Band totez hit the stage at 4:20, hence the song choice. Goo balls is right! Trippy breakdown section. Space into >>>

Harpua - This is when the festival felt "big" to me. Tying up the previous festival almost exactly one year to the day was pretty awesome. Little rough in spots, but still huge.

Chalk - Summer '97 was a good time for Chalk. Kinda missed the return to the ending. Then it gets all weird. Completes the SDCK portion of the show.

Theme - Nice modulation @6 in. Gets pretty dark with a really nice return to the standard jam, too. Not quite 11-27-1996, but sweet. Tons of hammer ons/pull offs with the pitch bend near the end.

PYITE - Fight bell and annoying high-pitched loop before prior. Loop returns! Funky intro with great work by Page. Pretty much one of the best intros if not the best. Some trouble with lyrics. Whole lot cooler than Portland!

Ghost - Was hoping to hear this one again. They missed the break! Plods around for a bit but gets heavier ~8:30. End is similar to the 08-12-1998 Mike's. Kinda into >>>

Ginseng - Some more onstage talks...then they spark up....

YEM - Longish nirvana section. Hit a really nice groove at 15 minutes in. Big bomb @17:15 and Mike takes the lead from there. Spaciness where the usual DnB section begins. Skip DnB and go straight into voacl jam. Tone it down.....

Train - Played at the last show! WTF?!

Zero - There's a big frat/tight ass pants bar near me called Mulcahy's.

Coil - Fakeout! Pretty good composed. Mike missed more notes than Trey.

Wolf - Classic Summer '97 Trey tone. Great groove ~11. Starts to stray from standard jam at the 12 min mark. Spacious. Gets heavier a few minutes later. Page slowly introducing some synth. Subtle/intricate work by Fish. Hit on a cool chord progression. Segues somewhat nicely into >>>

Simple - Standard Simple jam ensues. Introduce Odd Couple theme at 7:30 in. Then Trey uses mismatched tones. Segues nicely into >>>

My Soul - Nice Fish during Trey's solo and one really sharp peak. Pretty hot version. Brief jam afterward that is kinda Squarepusher-esque. More Odd Couple teases by Mike.

Slave - Miss the first big hit just like they would in Hampton a few months later. Some more confusion follows. Dude gets crazy with the bendies!

Rockytop - Trouble with the lyrics. Like, a lot of trouble. Page steps up and tries to help oit.

Julius - Virtually all vocal intro. This one tries to do what 07-23 did, but doesn't shine nearly as bright.

Halley's - All the trouble they have with the modulation I think sets a fire under them and actually helps create the classic jam that follows. The signature groove starts @9:30. Central....Central....Central....Heavy On Your Way Down teases don't yield anything but they do segue ultra slick-like into >>>

Cities - Another great segue much like 07-31. Cool modulation ~11. Harder groove follows. Segues a little awkwardly into >>>

Llama - Extra noisy version.

Lawn - Rowdy crowd with a toned back Mike solo.

Limb - Kinda miss the '97 versions and their ability to take this out there so effortlessly. Lotta feedback into >>>

Bitch - Page takes the second solo on this one.

Contact - The Tires Song.

Cup - Sends them off.

Awesome first show.
I give it a B+/A

Caravan2001

It's a three Troegs night (thanks Khalpin) so a good time to review this.  Words can't describe the first time everyone descended on Limestone.  Place was just sublime.  It was my birthday the night before so I was primed for this show.  We had a rocking RV corral in the area behind the stage and we were raging it all weekend.  The Went basically picked up where the Ball left off and was better, bigger and greater in all respects..so sick....

Makisupa: 4:20 in  the house...peeps were blazing...Funny keyword as my wife prolly made $500 a day on gooballs here....
Harpua:  There's the missing half.  Seemed like everyone got it instantly....it was cool cause I was pretty bummed leaving the ball. Or at least a little disappointed.
Chalkdust: Good version.  really did seem like the were soundchecking/shaking out the cobwebs during the first three, but it was still all gravy.
Theme:  This goes places and we are getting to the real shit here.....Goodness that just comes out during a giant festy like this.  $$ version
Punch:  SICK intro, we're cooking now.  Whole place was banging.  My fave Punch intro.  Great playing by Fish and Page.  Super slinky....would it be so hard for them to stretch out the intro like this once in a while these days?
Ghost: More festival funk...gets a little bogged down but is still tasty for the most part.....
Ginseng Sullivan: Nice solo from Trey
YEM: I like the placement.  Would almost always rather have this in mid-end first set than later in show.  Solid funk.  Like the boy man god shit section with Mike plunking it out and Trey rocking the RMC-3.  Also like the end when Trey drops down with the Whammy pedal.  Short and sweet vox jam is the way to go.
Train Song- this is a pretty track.  Very mellow and patient.  Me likey
Custie Hero-  fairly rocking and crunchy version
Coil- OK
Wolfmans:  sickness.  Great version that never lags, even at 18+ minutes.  This is a show highlight for me with some classic 97 funk.  Total beefball. Sometimes the longer jams just peter out...this one still has some life left in it when they do a nice segue into
Simple:  love the tranny from wolfman's...not a fan of this song, but I almost always dig the jam so I guess I do like this song.  Good version.  I remember the Odd Couple part as if it were yesterday.
My Soul: Awesome version, this show is clicking...Love, love love the whammy jam at the end with Page trading synth licks with Trey.  Extra dope with a side of dank.
Slave: Someone up there didn;t care for this version too much.  I think it is hella legit.
Rocky Top: vocal flubs but whatever.  Def not the Lemonwheel Uncle Pen, that's for sure....
Julius:  Love the way they break this down.  More beef with a side of ball....Trey let's it hang out for sure.....
Halleys:  Some vocal flubbage/verse confusion but they pull it together...Sounds like they are gonna go into BBFCM and then they *almost* drop into the On My Way Down.  This is another moment I remember clear as a bell, who I was with and where we were standing.  But nope they drop into the
Cities:  Slow funked out version, I like it.  Nice feel to it.  Deep and dark 97 funkage..Shit is getting deep up in here....
Llama: Kind of a weird choice but brings the energy up.  Works for me.  At least they didn't play Taste.
Lawn Boy: Was surprised when they dropped this, but it works..Great showing by Cactile....
LxL:  Something I had taken cause me to go over to the tarmac and lay down by the vending.  I felt like I was kind of melting into the runway.  Spent most of this song on the ground with my yes closed until someone found me.  Was kind of blacked out for the rest of the show. Listening back, I realize I missed a solid version. the end is tits....
Funky Bitch: Boom!  That's my joint....I don;t remember but I am sure this shit brought me back to life and I was dancing like a fool. All about this track anytime anywhere...
Contact:  Always a top encore pick.  The funk section is slow and nasty..More killer clav work from Leo....I just want to smother myself in this Contact...so sweet
Cup:  Sent us back to the RV smiling and ready to rage the night...

This show is all 97 goodness, or as they said in 97, diggity dank.  SO killer, and a great first show.  Wow.  I have not really listened to it since I was there except for the 3rd set so I was happy to relive the first two.  Listening to this really brought me back to this epic weekend, so while some might call the next night better, I still have to give it an A.  Easy A....mega chron.....

emay

This gets an A in my book, even though im not reviewing this round. I really dig pages solo at the end of coil.

The Great Went has always been in my top 5  :phish: shows both shows are so good.

This first set is the set in Bittersweet where Trey comes off the stage and is talking about how it was one of the worst sets theyve played in 6 months right?  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard "
"Phish 5 sets to redeem ourselves!"

rowjimmy

I'm not going to review the whole show because I'm on tin show club so I feel no obligation but I wanted to say a few words about seeing a show in Limestone, ME.

The location is perfect. Out of the way, paved surfaces for parking, no local curfews, beautiful weather (despite the pissing downpour the night before this one) and shit, It's Maine. Maine rules.

I hated the person I was with when I went to this fest but I still had an awesome time.

mbw

This and halloween 95 are my two biggest missed phish regrets.
i had crews rolling thick to both but i stayed back for whatever, dumb reason.

Pholy M. Pia

Set one
Makisupa Policeman - Fun way to get it off the ground, crowd pleaser fo-sho. Especially Trey's loop around 4:20. Sets a loose, relaxed vibe before >

Harpua -This is phistory. Must've been an amazing thing to be a witness of it. Fun jazzy playing. Leo takes it, indeed.

Chalk Dust - Time to kick up the pace.  Love Trey leaving Mike and Page to play in the intro. Exploratory jam and then a major botch near the end. Did I say relaxed earlier? Yeah, the soundcheck.

Theme - Good starting section, with the vocal harmonies strong, I love the chorus of this song. The jam starts out with a lot of nice space to hear the boys interact, very synced up. Trey changes effects around 6 and a half min or so to take a minor shift to lead to a long smooth finish. Yum. Now we're rolling. Final painful feedback loop >

Punch - Superb intro w/ more pain loop. Ultra funk rhythm guitar. Really good organ work from Page. Trey comes in nice and slow with back phrasing on the vocals and lets the chording get sloppy.  Page is just funked out. Landlady, yes, indeed. This is a very hot version of this tune overall.

Ghost - This had a lot of potential. Very Patient.  Good playing without any strong leads going anywhere too strange. Decent background funk, that goes long. Gets kind of interesting between 9 and 12 minutes. Slow plod to the end.

Ginseng Sullivan - Let's brush that ending off with some bluegrass! Sounds like it wakes everyone up a bit. Good effort by Page on his solo. Trey sounds pretty good, if disjointed in a fun rollicky way.

YEM - Nice tight start, excellent toning during nirvana, Mike very clear and creative during composed section solo. Great build up to the lyrics,  Page in there with some sweet organ mooshing. The jam has great interaction by all members, really stretched-out, melodic playing leading to a dark segment before returning briefly to the rock. They bring it down to a growly throb as Trey turns the harmonizer on. Into the vocal jam, which does the job to segue into>

Train Song - Cool placement, kind of an "emerging from the haze" feel. Good song.

Zero - Mike and Fish kill the intro. Raucous.

Coil - Audible "Awww" from audience (awwwdience?) A little dry in the throat sounding vocally to start out, but they get it going pretty well. This turns out as a pretty sweet version, particularly Fish and of course, the Chairman. Really nice full band jam which eventually leaves Page out to end the set.

Set two review is forthcoming.
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

Pholy M. Pia

Set II

Wolfman's - Solid. The jam just oozes relaxed, triply goodness. Mike sounding like he's thinking "Skin it Back" or "Spanish moon" around 6 min. Not quite a tease, just a hint of a thought. Sick, sick Mike. Trey starts to lead away from the sweet and into sour realms  only to resolve back with Page making it all cool.
One of the best jams I've heard. Gonna take many listens to fully get my head around this beast. The melodic shift ~17 min is magic and rolls right into>

Simple - That is a post bebop fill! Those were the days.  Dreamy jam tails out with a nice prankstery>

Odd Couple - Almost straight there for a moment, then mutates  fast. They really take their time playing with this for a while, getting into the swing, letting it stay dark, bouncing it up as they blend it into >

My Soul - Some blues sounds good here. The jam gets pretty off the hook with the energy.

Jam - The aliens reveal themselves. Then there is a little dance party before they turn on the tv. Guess what's on... The Odd Couple! >

Slave - Getting back to business. Good, varied playing on the composed section, pretty jam goes on for satisfyingly long time. They stick the ending.

Rocky Top - Fast launch, sounding good, Leo. Fish is an animal. Forgotten lyrics in the whirlwind. Fun.

Julius - Cool vocal intro with the clapping from the audience. Nice jazzy tone from Trey. The jam on this one has a nice bubbly beat from Mike and Fish going on to start, peeling away the noise until a sweet, clean bluesy tone is left to simmer. Nice work. Great interaction between Trey and Page before T starts talking about "backstage", "weird and strange music" and "the disco". Then they rip it up to the ending vocals. Great way to end the set.

Pholy M. Pia

Set III

Halley's Comet - Right off  in the jam you can tell they are going to be a while at this. Page pushing right out into strange territory.  It starts to break apart  around 8 and a half in, with Trey hitting the doubler again, down in the lower registers. Crunchy. Fish comes in with nice syncopation, very strange refraining happens. The acid eaters would have been having a time at this point, I'd imagine. Very choice late 70's late-night cop show theme song-esque jamlette then they grind into a, slow, rocking transition to >

Cities - That tranny was so, so smooth. Molasses slow version. Trey and Mike's lead into the first jam is incredibly psychedelic, with Fishman following them like a mind reader. Best Cities I've heard so far, hands down. Wish they sounded like this nowadays. The tempo builds up with the funk flowing from all quarters especially Mike who is laying down serious  lines as Trey and Page fill the rhythm. Getting strange and bendy, some good, slow leads from Trey as they wind down, Page coming out with the organ again as Trey goes for the Llama riffs. >

Llama - They really had to tweak that hard to wrestle this transition, and they bring it up to speed like a machine revving to a higher gear. After a tasty low solo from Page, Trey comes in with noise, growling and howling. And he isn't in a hurry to give it up. Page eventually comes in with the organ just to wake him the fuck up. Trey's Syd Barrett impression?

Lawn Boy - Everyone needed a cool down, Mike eventually stepping up to the plate. They sound very pleased with themselves. Good job, guys.

Limb by limb - A little tuning-ish noise and a Dead-ish fade in. I like this song. Good meandering jam, with long arcing peaks. Gives a hippy time to soak it all in. At 10 min. it gets a little heavier, discord builds, they peak it, and dissolve to a cool tinkly bit, winding back into the theme. They stretch the ending vamp until they get the thumbs up from the technician...

Funky Bitch - Fireworks! Love this song, time to dance! Trey shralpage all ovah. Page and Mike both shining. The right way to end a set.

E:
Contact - Great encore song. I bet a lot of those in attendance had had some time in cars very recently. Smoking funk breakdown, they all end too soon.

Loving Cup - Letting page ring the grand for show closer. Classic.

This show's a monster, as I'm sure you all know. In my newness to collecting, this was a new one to me (most are), and it's great to hear an example of peak experience for this band and their fans. My last show was in 96, also my first arena sized show and they sounded to me like they were lost in the size of the venue.
This show is big and vast sounding but they really fill it up.

Highlights for me were the YEM, Wolfman's >Simple, and Halley's > Cities. (Duh.)

whatapiper

The Great Went

Set I:

Makisupa > Goo balls and the Po, perfect song to let the stragglers roll in and roll >>
Harpua - Pretty sweet to finish this.  Welcome to Maine!
Chalkdust - Another nod to the Ball and smoking version despite the rough ending.  Sweet soundcheck!
Theme - I'm a sucker for a good Theme and the ascending riff gets me just about every time.  I really enjoyed Page's fills during Trey's sustained notes and in a short period of time they just destroy this.    Is that WTU????  Pretty hot.
PYITE - The funk is too deep! What an intro, we are not fucking around I suppose....then a slight collapse.   They recover slightly in the end while Page runs the boards. 
Ghost - Slight redemption needed but not found after a promising early start to the jam.  8 min plus is kinda painful as they sound like they have all switched instruments.  After the 10 min mark Trey is desperately trying to get something going rather than abort.  Pretty meh version
YEM - Love the start to this, very open and chill like they have all the time in the world.   "Boy Man" breakdown nice and funky with that laid back summer 97 vibe.  17 + min things pick up and Mike drops some thunderous grooves at the 20.  Lead into the vocal jam is cool.
Train Song - Little intro flub but  dig the placement and played well overall.
Zero - It happens, straight rawk and great set up for >
Coil - Fakeout! Solid version and beautiful solo to finish.  I wish Trey had the same ear for judgement now as he did then...

Set II:

Wolfman's - One of my favorite versions, this is pure summer 97 funk butta. 10 min in is as loose a phish as you can ask for.  Remember when everyone listened?  Groove melts nicely into >
Simple - Been listening to this 1-2 combo for years, love the raw energy from Trey's solo.  8:28 with teases and twilight zine like groove.   Slow transition into >
My Soul - Unique and interesting version for the time. Solid rock after the combo opener.
Jam - space noodle into >
Slave - I was calling this from the beginning of the set, perfect placement and great build overall.  You can hear the inspiration oozing from everyone here.
Rocky Top - Gets the blood moving again for >
Julius - Raging version and way to end a very complete set.

Set III:

Haley's - Breakdown very dark and antelope like, this continues into the jam where some risks are taken that do not translate.  Pretty insane transition into >
Cities - Dreamy flow into this one here and smooth as can be.   Some ferocious dance grooves around 8 that lead slowly into
Llama - Remember great flow to a set? I do, lets rawk!
Lawn Boy - Needed breather and time for Page to have his center stage festival moment.
Limb - Great version and one I still remember.   This is when I got Limb really for the first time and have loved ever since.   Perfect 3rd set surprise with a new song.
Bitch - Refer back to the flow comments, and this is when they new how to close a show, Heavy shred
Contact - one of my favorite encore, what more can I ask for
Cup- yes it is a beautiful buzz

What can I say, one of my favorite attended.   Extra funk, rawk, patience and flow to a great show.  Back then the music made the event and brought everything full circle into perspective.  Thanks for making me listen to this one again from start to finish
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong