News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R14/W06: 04-06-1991 The Evergreen State College - Olympia, WA

Started by Pholy M. Pia, January 02, 2012, 01:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pholy M. Pia

Lossless:
Set I
http://bt.etree.org/download.php/540629/Phish%201991-04-06.110928.torrent
Set II
http://bt.etree.org/download.php/514980/ph1991-04-06.91523.flac16.torrent

Lossy: (from the spreadsheet)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e64969679d601a07ab1eab3e9fa335caf7c4d4bbc42215b9

The recording has some serious problems, particularly a bad tape flutter that starts during tweezer and runs to mid-way through Fluff's Travels, and slightly faster speed on the second set's source.

Phish
April 6, 1991
Library Lobby, TESC
Olympia, WA

Set I

1. The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday >
2. Avenu Malkanu >
3. The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday
4. Tweezer
5. Esther
6. The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony
7. AC/DC Bag
8. Fluffhead
9. Tweezer Reprise

Set II

1 - Ya Mar
2 - Split Open And Melt
3 - Runaway Jim /
4 - /Magilla
5 - Llama
6 - You Enjoy Myself
7 - Bathtub Gin
8 - Icculus
9 - Run Like an Antelope
10 - HYHU >
11 - Terrapin
12 - HYHU
13- Possum
(encore)
14 - Jesus Just Left Chicago
15 - Alumni Blues
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

mbw

sweet first show.

-Its so hard to play there, everyone wants us to be quiet
Shushing us constantly

-They're trying to read!

-Well, we might as well not be there if we're not gonna make any sound

-You can make sound....just make it so people can't hear you

Pholy M. Pia

^ :clap:
Loudest. library. evar. :rawk:

whatapiper

hilarious, $6 ticket to hear the boys in a library lobby! 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Augustus

MWS/Avenu/MWS - Ballsy opener! Very snappy sounding. Mellow Mike solo during Avenu. Last time used as a show (or any set) opener.

Tweezer - Right into it! There's just something I love about pre-'93 versions with Page on the keyboard. Lotsa extra vocals during the composed parts. Patient start to the jam with Mike dropping a few balmz. Lotsa tension and some Fish screaming can be heard.

Esther - Page's solo sounds extra trippy on this recording. They fall out of synch during the "joggers" section. Trey's solo sounds mint! He's got the tape warble pedal on! Brief feedback into >>>

OKP - A little different intro.

ACDC - Good tempo on this.

Fluff - Big cut during the composed section, but I'm sure they nailed it. Truly a near-perfect version.

Reprise - Only time this has followed Fluffhead. Weird, right?

Ya Mar - "You're confusing me". Leo gets a huge shout out from Mike a few times.

Split - Some more Mike balmzz. Really cool Fishman work throughout. Noisy and short.

Jim - Tight version and keeps the energy up.

Magilla - Bringing it down with some jazzy flex.

Llama - Fish keeps playing when Trey comes in during the intro. Whoops. Page steals this one, tho.

YEM - Ultra funky Boy Man section. Funkadelic teases by Mike during DnB. Fish sounds so young during the vocal jam!

Gin - Short.

Icculus - Not since 08-12-1989. Kickdown! Mike speaks about some random stuff. I think he mentioned the Dead.

Antelope - Show highlight. Awesome tension throughout. Cool Rye Rye section that's pretty atypical and drawn out.

Terrapin - Some more young Fish.

Possum - Standard rock.

Jesus - Odd that they encored with this the last 4/5 times they had played it during this time period. Little lyrical misstep.

Alumni > JP > Alumni - The perfect bookend to the MWS > Avenu > MWS opener! Wonder how intentional that was...See you in the Fall.

Prolly one of the coolest places to see the band.
I give it an A by first show standards.

Caravan2001

My wife's first show was the next Evergreen show in 92.....looking forward to hearing this, need to get up my Hampton 96 review first (just finished listening to it..)

Lifeboy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 10, 2012, 09:53:48 PM
My wife's first show was the next Evergreen show in 92.....looking forward to hearing this, need to get up my Hampton 96 review first (just finished listening to it..)

I just listened to that '92 Evergreen show this past weekend. I've never heard this show, but I'm pretty familiar with the '92 show. Good shit.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Pholy M. Pia

Quote from: Lifeboy on January 10, 2012, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 10, 2012, 09:53:48 PM

I just listened to that '92 Evergreen show this past weekend. I've never heard this show, but I'm pretty familiar with the '92 show. Good shit.

That was a hot show too! Rode the rail the whole night, and that was the last time that happened. The Maze and the YEM are etched deep in my mind.

Buffalo Budd

So cool, Phish at the library for $6, in my dreams.  What a great first show experience.
I have never listened to this show, my 91 experience is limited.

Set I
TMWSIY – Such a great way to start the show, so melodic.

Avenu Malkenu – Well played, Mike sounds great on his lead. >

TMWSIY – Ditto to the 1st.

Tweezer – Early Tweez, nice.  Fun start to this tune, sounds like they're having fun.  Mike dropping bombs to start the jam, Trey and Page link early around the 6:00 mark.  Trey is sticking to some standard licks, nothing too out there.  Page is really shining through with some great runs.  They start to get pretty wild around the 8:30 mark.  Nice extended outtro, then back to the opening lick.  I found a lot of it sounded similar to the album version to my ears.

Esther – Quiet start, hard to hear the vocals, Trey trying to be all mystical.  Love the effect Trey uses for his solo.  Great version.

The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony – Nice >

AC/DC Bag – This is a groovy version, Fish is sounding really good.  Nice one liners from Trey with a little Tweezer-esque soloing. 

Fluffhead – Sounds like Trey's guit is just a bit out of tune here.  Small skip in the recording to the Fluff's Travels portion.  Composed section perfect as most 91 versions are.  Mike using some sexy effects during the 'check it out' section (paging Gumbo).  I really like the wailing Trey does between the jam after 'tipsy fuddled' section.

Tweezer Reprise – Cool, a reprise at the end of set 1, the boys should take a look back at some of these old school setlists and take some notes.  I wonder what type of setup Mike had back then, you can tell he's trying to lay down some heavy notes but it's hard for him to really shake the room like he does now.  Great first set though.

Set II
Ya Mar – A lot of shout outs from the crowd but a solid choice for start to the 2nd.  Fish riding the cowbell and some tasty licks from Trey to start.  Trey seems to keep cuing up Page while Mike is singing 'Oh Kee Pa', turns into a lot of screaming from the band.  Page's solo is pretty straight forward, seems as though he hasn't hit his stride yet with taking the lead.  Trey teases the Woody Woodpecker theme at 5:55 to start his solo.

Split Open and Melt – Slower version than most, probably pretty standard for 91.  Fun jam, Trey just hitting random notes and letting them scream.

Runaway Jim – Pretty solid work between Page and Trey in the jam.  It's funny that in the early days, the piano would come close to drowning out the guitar.  Zero ego going on.  The jam stays in the confines of the Jim framework and they keep it short.

Magilla – Some jazz for the crowd.  I wish Phish would do more of this sort of thing these days.  Page sounds loungy with his playing, Trey sitting back, filling in the backbeat.  Mike is just keeping it all together.  Trey takes his turn and really works the jazz lines, then Fish with some tasty rolls.  Maybe I didn't mention how much I love Magilla : ) 

Llama – Fish forgets to break at the intro.  Like some of the other tunes we're used to being fast in the mid-nineties, this one is a little slower than later versions.  Mike thumping the bass lines as Page lays down a pretty solid lead.  Trey's lead is pretty lacklustre to me, gets a little better as it goes along but I prefer this song later on in their career.

You Enjoy Myself – First thing I noticed was the unique sound to the organ, could be due to playing in a library.  Composed section sounds incredible and very on point.  Nice playing by Page to start the jam off, Fish just pounding that kick drum, then Mike joins him with a heavy bass line for a stanza.  Trey's turn, love the groove they are pulling together at this point.  Very cool leads from Trey and he doesn't let up, now this is a YEM jam.  Mike really shines through on his solo to lead to the vocal jam with some drums to start.  This vocal jam is ok to my ears only due to them keeping a beat going and not screaming their heads off as they sometimes do.  Solid version that I will revisit for sure.

Bathtub Gin – Nice.  Another incredible groove throughout this tune.  Awesome disjointed jam that's totally out there, just cut too short.

Icculus – Shout out for their last show on the West coast, pretty huge kickdown as this was the only one played in '91.

Run Like an Antelope – Great intro for Lope.  Trey stretching it out very well.  I would venture to say this was the band's most exploratory song in the early years.  Everyone is just dialled in, soaring peaks that reach a frenzy.  Rhythm breakdown after Esquandolas.  Just an incredible version.

HYHU – The one, the only Henrietta, holy shit, he sounds like a kid. >

Terrapin – Syd tune, I actually like the vacuum section in this one. >

HYHU – Yup.

Possum – Intro sounds a lot different with the keys up in the mix.  Can hardly here the guitar on this.  Pretty mellow lead to start off, then rock peak.

Encore
Jesus Just Left Chicago – Hiccup in the 2nd verse where the rest of the band didn't follow Page.  Page's solo sounds soooo smooth here, Trey pulls a pretty cool lead after.

Alumni Blues – I'd be 'alright' getting this in the encore!  Page again lays down some serious lead. >

Jimmy Page – Nice tranny.  Man they could nail this tune back then, Fish deserves a medal.

Alumni Blues – What a way to end this show, incredible!  See ya in the Fall.

So many great versions of big tunes at this show, will definitely be keeping this in regular rotation from now on.  Great 1st show and I'll give it an A.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Pholy M. Pia

I moved to Olympia the previous September, at the age of eighteen, with my girlfriend (now my wife). She was planning to go to Evergreen, and I was just going to get a job for a while, which panned out as a dishdog position at a local whole foods restaurant.

For the first few months, our only social contacts were a couple of deadhead 'Greeners from Colorado, who lived across from us in the same apartment complex. On the second occasion we were over at their place, after dinner  listening to music and drinking, I noticed an what looked like a Dead bootleg in Jeff's tapes, except it had an odd logo I didn't recognize and none of the songs listed were Dead songs.

"Oh that's Phish," he explained, "they're a weird band from Vermont. They play this song about this little girl and and old man who tells her to chop off his legs." He wouldn't play the tape for me, citing fidelity reasons, and instead played us Fee (Junta version). I don't have a lot of memory of the music, but later in April, when I saw a poster for the show at the local music store, I bit.

I decided to make the half hour bus trip out to the campus after work the next day, in order to save the extra dollar the record store was tacking on to the price. When I got to work that morning there was a message from my brother (we had no phone at the apartment) who was attending U of O. I went and used the payphone in the lobby of the building that housed the restaurant, and called him back.
He was highly agitated, having been shut out of a show this band-he'd-never-heard-of had played the night before at the WOW hall. He said he'd never seen anything like the crowd that had swarmed the tiny venue. He went on to say the music sounded kind of dead-like, but he'd heard they played Zappa tunes.
He was adamant that I get tickets if I could.
I took a long lunch, since it was slow at work and made the trip for the tickets. Needless to say, I felt like Charlie, scoring the trip to Wonka's factory.

Still, we didn't really have any idea of what to expect. We showed up, parked in the nearly empty parking lot, and walked up to the library building which opens out onto the main square to find maybe 100 - 150 people loosely milling around the entrance talking in quiet, excited tones. We didn't know a soul so we just took turns nervously grinning at each other, until they opened the doors.
The Library lobby was a medium sized, square room with a wide staircase that rose, from the side-center of the main floor to a second floor/landing with a railing that ran around the perimeter of the space. The stage was set up to face the stairs, about chest high and under the edge of the opposite overhanging landing.

After some campus announcements, which were met with good natured, impatient amusement from the eager people, they introduced the band. We made as much noise as we could, and I remember the guitarist grinning  as he came on and the keyboardist settling in in his seat  also smiling, the bass player looking possibly annoyed. A small sub-group of the crowd screamed as a bearded troll dude in basketball glasses and a donut muumuu climbed up and waved, to settle behind the drum kit.
The music started and then it's just memories of dancing, hard and free, upstairs alone, downstairs with others, up front at the stage, up above the band on the balcony , looking down at the tops of their heads while they jumped on trampolines! Hiding, wrapped in the curtains in the dark corners of the room, stealing a puff during intense moments.
I remember Mike and the way he looked as he stepped up to the front to take a solo, he looked us in the eye, pressed his mouth into a thin line, and went off in a fashion I had never before witnessed, and have never since. The crowd was absolutely dumbstruck, peoples mouths were hanging open, their bodies rolling in automatic response to the depth and power of THE BASS. A small satisfied smile curling him up at the corners, he stepped back. Other memory fragments are of all of the players taking turns shining, as a whole shifting musical styles like chameleons, and performing musical acrobatics that left us reeling.
They really treated us as though we were special that night, and even though I'm sure it was more about the new west coast fans who had followed them up from the Catalyst onward, I felt like they made a connection with Evergreen and Olympia.

I love this band. I always will.

The reviews of the songs, as I have had the supreme joy to listen to again through the amazing efforts of the Phish taping and trading community, will come next.

Provided I'm not smited to death for TLDR-ing y'all.

WhatstheUse?

^ I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing.
Bring in the dude!

Pholy M. Pia

^Thank you! I've been waiting for 20+years to do so!  :crazy:

Pholy M. Pia

mbw

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!